Options

Llandudno

victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello, we are thinking of visiting Llandudno.This is our first time to Wales. What is it like and the surrounding area?

Comments

• Options
    Melp26Melp26 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't been for years but I remember it being a lot like Blackpool really but a bit more quaint.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really is nothing like Blackpool! Llandudno is quite restrained and genteel, and full of old ladies. My mum loves it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible to visit Liverpool for the day? If so what the best transport apart from driving?
  • Options
    maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    Is it possible to visit Liverpool for the day? If so what the best transport apart from driving?

Depends where you are starting from
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello, we are thinking of visiting Llandudno.This is our first time to Wales. What is it like and the surrounding area?
    Very pleasant place and a walk along the esplanade and pier recommended. Thankfully it's not 'like Blackpool' at all!! :)

Don't miss out on a visit to the Great Orme either (accessible by tram if you are without car).

The weather can be quite odd. I've walked along the Esplanade front in short sleeve t-shirt in November!
  • Options
    iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It'd take almost 2 hours on the train and you'd have to change in Chester. The cost is around £20
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies. The feedback sounds promising as well.
  • Options
    icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's like Milton Keynes on a Sunday .
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I went there last century. It was nice. Great Orme was a lovely walk.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Very pleasant place and a walk along the esplanade and pier recommended. Thankfully it's not 'like Blackpool' at all!! :)

Don't miss out on a visit to the Great Orme either (accessible by tram if you are without car).

The weather can be quite odd. I've walked along the Esplanade front in short sleeve t-shirt in November!

Many. many years ago I worked with a woman who was born on the Great Orme her parents had the Post Office on it. She was a really lovely lady and died tragically young.

Sorry that's all I know. She loved her home town.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds similar to Eastbourne. Is there much Welsh culture nearby such as a coal mining museum?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i briefly passed through there after climbing Snowdon in June.

I had fish and chips at 'Holmes Place' and very enjoyable it was. Also it was sunny (as was in June), the people were friendly enough and there was some very nice women.

BTW, Dont feed the seagulls, if the OAP beach guards dont catch you and give you a rollocking then the seagulls will tear you limb from limb (a friend ignored the 'do not feed the bird signs').

Hardly a 'lonely planet' review but its all i got from the 90 minutes i was there....
  • Options
    this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spent many a long summer holiday there when I was a kid, because my nan lived there and so we had cheap seaside accommodation. Mum lived on the Orme, next to the tram route, in her childhood.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    We went a few years ago for 2 days, it was nice but very quiet in the evening. The Great Orme is good and getting the tram up is a nice way to see it. Half way up the Great Orme you have a copper mine as well. Lots of sheep and goats to see as well.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a beautiful town, not at all like blackpool.

it is an "old persons place", with some shops showing their age. but it has a lovely pebble beach on the east side of the orm, and the hotel fronts are quite spectacular.

the only problem is, the main beach is north facing so the sun is always behind you.

The west beach is sandy and never busy, but it is always, always windy on that side of the peninsular.
  • Options
    punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to see some industrial Welsh culture, catch the bus or train from Llandudno to Blaenau Ffestiniog. There's not much in the town itself but you see some nice scenery on the way and experience the unique landscape of a town completely surrounded by mountains of slate, a legacy of its quarrying past.

There's also a traditional narrow gauge mountain steam railway that starts there.

Apart from that, it's very easy to get from Llandudno into Snowdonia and out to Anglesey - both beautiful places.
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adore Llandudno. It's only 40 minutes from where I live. The shopping is decent, the sea front is nice, there are good shows at Venue Cymru (the big theatre on the seafront) and the Orme is stunning. You can drive up there, take the tram, or walk or drive around its base.(There road driving around its base is a toll road near the pier, but you can walk around it for free. Took us about two hours - but beware, it's not a round trip!)
    I've been to Bodnant Gardens recently, which is not far at all from Llandudno. Even in autumn it was a beautiful place, well worth the visit.

Some more attractions:

http://www.visitllandudno.org.uk/
    http://llandudnoattractions.com/home.php?/home
  • Options
    MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melp26 wrote: »
    Haven't been for years but I remember it being a lot like Blackpool really but a bit more quaint.
    That's not my memories of it....not like Blackpool at all imo.
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

Yep enjoyed all the above when we have gone in the past. :)
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I'm glad to hear such positive things about the place, I too am venturing to Llandudno next September - we're stopping there before going on to hike up Snowdon :D
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    Llandudno is a great place , haven't been for 8 years or so but i really enjoyed it. actually i think wales is a lovely place in general , beautiful with lots to do
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    there are welsh people there

be careful
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All your feedback has been great and really appreciated, thanks.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember playing on the 2p machines in the Golden Goose arcade many moons ago.

Have a good time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i live near Llaundudno..its nice , if the sun is out is even better..lots of buses too, so you can hop on one and go for a bus ride :D
  • Options
    this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make sure you pronounce it correctly. Most English people don't.