Is Tamera the most disliked contestant on the DS forums since...James Arthur?

Comments

• researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nastyman69 wrote: »
    I think people like listening to artists that appeals to them. Nick appeals to many on here but not others. Tamera may appeal to some (I would now say that after her disaster this weekend) but not others. People like myself love the tone of Leona Lewis, who I absolutely adore, yet some I know find her dull and boring as well. Everyone on this forum will have different tastes and opinions...in the end of the day it is what appeals to the individual
    I know what you're saying but nobody can deny that both Nicholas and Leona Lewis can really sing, they're both technically good, whether it's to your taste or not.

Tamera really just isn't technically at all good, that's what many are pointing out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    if you bothered to read the comments people were not saying they disliked her but just didn't find her very good , so we were in fact not agreeing with the OP , but just disagreeing with your opinion of her qualities as singer

and how we choose to do that is up to us and if you are going to call people cretins , then please do not try to act all high and mighty and object when someone responds in kind

I have read the comments. Apparently people who like Tamera have selective amnesia, need to get their ears tested, are only interested in her looks; whatelse does she have to offer and also only want to sleep with her. I will stand by what I said that these are stupid comments and not really very helpful considering the OP was related to these sort of excessive comments.
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Tamera I think she's good.
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show has put her in a really difficult position now.

She shouldnt have got past the arena audition where she also forgot her words, she just isnt ready yet, she could be really good, but not right now, she lacks the ability to emote the lyrics of any song she sings, she can copy what shes heard from beyonce or whoever, but that isnt the same thing, a couple of years performing and practicing is what she needed, exactly the same as Alexandra, and it di dher the world of good.

But now it's too late, her vast limitations are being exposed to everyone, and because she is in the live shows this is it, she can't come back another year any longer, so syco have to keep pushing someone clearly unprepared and unable to cope with pressure performing if they want to sign her because this is the only chance to get the big exposure to launch her from.

My fear is it will backfire, and the haste to make money will see her with nothing, when I feel at 19/20 she would have come onto the show and dominated it, and now she will be the girl who really isnt as good as the judges try and pretend she is.

Whether she is messing up because of nerves or she just isnt taking the preparation as seriously as she should only she and the backstage team know, but the end result is the same, an absolute trainwreck two weeks in a row.

A very well thought out and logical post.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Rangermick wrote: »
    I have read the comments. Apparently people who like Tamera have selective amnesia, need to get their ears tested, are only interested in her looks; whatelse does she have to offer and also only want to sleep with her. I will stand by what I said that these are stupid comments and not really very helpful considering the OP was related to these sort of excessive comments.

and I stand by my comment about selective amnesia, which is on quite a different level to calling people cretins

quite a number of people have observed her being flat on a regular basis , so if others are describing her as faultless then how else would you describe it than as having selective amnesia if someone remembers the good bits and ignores the dodgy bits ?

all in my opinion of course
  • Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you're saying but nobody can deny that both Nicholas and Leona Lewis can really sing, they're both technically good, whether it's to your taste or not.

Tamera really just isn't technically at all good, that's what many are pointing out.

For me, Nicholas doesn't give me the wow factor where Leona always does. Personally I like Tamera's vocals but that's just me and I won't change my views on that
  • mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people like listening to artists that appeals to them. Nick appeals to many on here but not others. Tamera may appeal to some (I would now say that after her disaster this weekend) but not others. People like myself love the tone of Leona Lewis, who I absolutely adore, yet some I know find her dull and boring as well. Everyone on this forum will have different tastes and opinions...in the end of the day it is what appeals to the individual

I think you're right to an extent, but my point was that Nicholas transcends that for me, and *despite* most the songs he's been given to sing not being particularly to my taste, I still absolutely enjoy listening to him . People lump him in with the likes of Westlife or Joe McE and I can see why they do, *but* those artists do nothing for me whereas Nicholas does, and it's *all* because of the quality of his voice.

I think you'd be surprised if you knew my usual listening habits. Probably a lot more left field than you'd imagine.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't dislike her but she should be next out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, Nicholas doesn't give me the wow factor where Leona always does. Personally I like Tamera's vocals but that's just me and I won't change my views on that
    Yes but my post wasn't about the wow factor, it was about singing ability (which of course is very secondary on this show and indeed for many posters on this forum.) Nicholas and Leona have the ability, Tamera doesn't, quite aside from whether they have any star quality or not (although it would be hard for anyone to argue that Nicholas OR Tamera have that.)
  • EdgarKEdgarK Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tamera may appeal to some (I would now say that after her disaster this weekend) but not others.

There are such different ways of listening. I guess some people would say that they like to lose themselves in or be transported by a flawless performance, and for them Tamera will have had a disaster on Saturday. I generally feel more that I'm engaging with a singer's voice and the quality of his/her immediate relation to the lyrics and their place in a song, so to me Tamera's failure on Saturday was no biggie, it didn't mean much more than that ten or fifteen seconds went missing from the performance. What remained was satisfying in a way Nick and Sam weren't at all.

I don't know how to care about "technically good". I mean, it's something I welcome in a bricklayer, but for me at least it's not something that, when I hear it from a singer, necessarily makes my life even the tiniest bit richer or more interesting, which is pretty much all I'm ever looking for from music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh I think you'll find people can. There's one particular poster who is always claiming Nicholas is flat when he isn't and Tamera isn't flat when she blatantly is. I can only think she thinks she can influence other people's perceptions if she states these things enough. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmpfb wrote: »
    Oh I think you'll find people can. There's one particular poster who is always claiming Nicholas is flat when he isn't and Tamera isn't flat when she blatantly is. I can only think she thinks she can influence other people's perceptions if she states these things enough. :rolleyes:
    Well then the person you refer to must be tone deaf!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    and I stand by my comment about selective amnesia, which is on quite a different level to calling people cretins

quite a number of people have observed her being flat on a regular basis , so if others are describing her as faultless then how else would you describe it than as having selective amnesia if someone remembers the good bits and ignores the dodgy bits ?

all in my opinion of course

While I appreciate your opinion the fact you think Tamera sings flat, it is as you say your opinion. I do not hold that opinion and do not agree that people have selective amnesia if they don't agree with you. The term cretins was used to describe the gang that seemed to have formed not voicing what I would call opinions but firing off a series of cheap jokes that were mocking in nature!
  • TreewatcherTreewatcher Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EdgarK wrote: »
    There are such different ways of listening. I guess some people would say that they like to lose themselves in or be transported by a flawless performance, and for them Tamera will have had a disaster on Saturday. I generally feel more that I'm engaging with a singer's voice and the quality of his/her immediate relation to the lyrics and their place in a song, so to me Tamera's failure on Saturday was no biggie, it didn't mean much more than that ten or fifteen seconds went missing from the performance. What remained was satisfying in a way Nick and Sam weren't at all.

I don't know how to care about "technically good". I mean, it's something I welcome in a bricklayer, but for me at least it's not something that, when I hear it from a singer, necessarily makes my life even the tiniest bit richer or more interesting, which is pretty much all I'm ever looking for from music.

It was not just the fact that she missed a few seconds of the song - she struggled to give the verse any volume because it was in the wrong key and she never pointed this out to anyone, and she sounded absolutely desperate (not in a good way) for the chorus. She had no idea what she was singing about and I doubt she ever will.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I appreciate your opinion the fact you think Tamera sings flat, it is as you say your opinion. I do not hold that opinion
    But this particular issue isn't a matter of opinion but of empirical fact. Whether she has anything to offer as a performer is a matter of opinion but not the fact that she is frequently flat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I appreciate your opinion the fact you think Tamera sings flat, it is as you say your opinion. I do not hold that opinion and do not agree that people have selective amnesia if they don't agree with you. The term cretins was used to describe the gang that seemed to have formed not voicing what I would call opinions but firing off a series of cheap jokes that were mocking in nature!

It's not an opinion, you could measure it and state it as an objective fact with the evidence to back it up - a pitch is just a frequency and therefore is mathematical in nature. Sure, some people are more attuned to hearing it than others, and some are more forgiving of such imperfections, and some are just plane tone deaf. It doesn't change the fact that Tamera often has pitching problems, certainly more so than Nicholas or Sam B.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member

I don't particularly care whether you agree with me or not tbh , I know what I hear and when people ignore what I see as average vocals and rave on about how flawless and perfect she is despite the volume of evidence to the contrary than i'm going to call it as I see it

and if you cant handle that and resort to insulting people directly then again that's not my problem
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But this particular issue isn't a matter of opinion but of empirical fact. Whether she has anything to offer as a performer is a matter of opinion but not the fact that she is frequently flat.

Yes I know it must be hard to sing with all the background noise in the studio but the others manage to hold a tune pretty well under identical conditions. The truth is she thought she sounded like Beyonce *in her own ears* but it was a bit of a shambles. We all sound great in the shower! ;) Her vocals are hit and miss but mainly miss. Gee even Rough Copy are more accurate than her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I know it must be hard to sing with all the background noise in the studio but the others manage to hold a tune pretty well under identical conditions. The truth is she thought she sounded like Beyonce *in her own ears* but it was a bit of a shambles. We all sound great in the shower! ;) Her vocals are hit and miss but mainly miss. Gee even Rough Copy are more accurate than her.

I wouldn't go quite that far!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is true and that's saying something!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don’t dislike Tamera, I feel sorry for her. She is very talented but isn’t up to the task like others in the competition who are her age or just a bit older. She showed this during the audition process yet the producers put her through to the live shows anyway. I think they hoped that her issues would work themselves out with mentoring, but that just hasn’t been the case.

Different people mature at different rates. If Tamera had waited two years to audition or be put through, I think she would have had a very good chance of winning. I have no doubt that at the very least she would have presented herself much better in her performances.

Tamera has gotten what she can out of this competition. It’s time for her to be eliminated so she can move on with her career.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How is it empirical fact? You can say you have empirical evidence as can I to establish an empirical claim, but you can't have empirical fact!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmpfb wrote: »
    I wouldn't go quite that far!

LOL well I'm willing to forgive them because they gave a good entertaining performance to compensate!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is it empirical fact? You can say you have empirical evidence as can I to establish an empirical claim, but you can't have empirical fact!

A tuning fork is a scientific instrument. A singer can match the tone exactly if they are up to scratch - if not they are out of tune. FACT.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's debatable as the definition of empirical is complex but the term "empirical fact" is in common usage.

The fact remains though, empirical or otherwise that Tamera is frequently out of tune. This is scientifically and undeniably true.