Options

It was 9 years ago today...

saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
Forum Member
✭✭
Rose

What a wonderful journey we have been on ever since!

Can Season 8 just hurry up now please?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would be great if they were available on blu ray, could have a lot of fun with a "from the beginning" session.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Well said. Its been fantastic, hasn't it? Hurry up s8!
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    It seriously feels like a few months ago or something :p

Series 1 still ranks as my joint favourite with Series 4, and it's odd to think that I'd never seen an episode of Doctor Who before nine years ago.

Happy Ninth Birthday Nine, you were fantastic! :D
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose

What a wonderful journey we have been on ever since!

Can Season 8 just hurry up now please?

It leaked 3 weeks earlier, at about 2am on a Saturday night if I recall correctly, leading to me having to drunkenly work out how these darn torrent things work, to download a 350mb file that took hours to download, followed by people going mad about the wheelie bin on the now defunct OG website; fun times.
    dmuk wrote: »
    Would be great if they were available on blu ray, could have a lot of fun with a "from the beginning" session.

Um, it is out on blu-ray. Picture quality ain't much better than the dvd mind, as it wasn't filmed in HD. http://campl.us/fRwxbFF16d2
  • Options
    bazpabazpa Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Almost wearing the video out playing the "You wanna come with me trailer" over and over, turning the chance of a weekend away down to make sure the video started at the beginning not halfway through the theme tune. The longest day waiting for it to start. The hair standing on end moment when we hear the new theme tune.
    Then rewinding the video the moment it ended, oh and the swearing at Graham Norton.
    What a day
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I videoed the series onto vhs up to the stolen earth after which I upgraded to a dvd recorder.
  • Options
    doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,023
    Forum Member
    Nine years can't believe it, I remember aching all that day with anticipation. I videoed it and rewatched it straight away. As someone who started watching Doctor Who in the mid-1980s, I was so pleased with the first episode and that Doctor Who was back on our television screens. I continued videoing into the fourth series, until I missed a few episodes. :)
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the broadcast, just to see the changes from the pirate version. A work cut of the episode Rose had been leaked online a couple of weeks earlier with the Delia Derbyshire version of the theme being the main difference.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Oh wow, nine years.

Time really has flown by.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    Wow.

Happy rebirthday Doctor!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey. So much has changed since then, but Doctor Who has always been there. Here's to many more years!
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, good heavens to betsy...course it is.

Remember being so excited to see my favourite programme return; heady times. And now we've had Chris, David, Matt...and await Peter C with a deal of impatience. Whatever peoples varied opinions on different Doctors, Series, stories, writers....think most would agree it's been quite a trip. Man.

And what still delights me is seeing my neices and millions of other youngsters finding and loving Doctor Who. And, to quote a certain citizen of the Universe...It's far from being all over. :)
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's amazing that Doctor Who has sustained and built upon its success. I fully expected the 2005 revival to be an expensive flop which would kill the series for good.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    It's amazing that Doctor Who has sustained and built upon its success. I fully expected the 2005 revival to be an expensive flop which would kill the series for good.

I hate to say it but (as a lifelong Doctor Who fan) I was thinking the same. But as soon as I saw the opening sequence and that brilliant theme - I just knew they were onto a winner:)
  • Options
    krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Nine years already! Series 1 is still one of my favourites, along with 3 and 4. Happy birthday Who!
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Chuff and I won tickets to an advance screening at the BBC ina DWM competition. Travelling through London to TV Centre, we passed huge posters with the Doctor and Rose. It was thrilling to be there, and I remember that everyone in the screening room (50 people?) sat in total silence throughout.

On the opening night, we had half a dozen friends round and cracked open some bottles. Great times! The immediate reaction was that Camille Coduri could do no wrong.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Only really found out about it with the 2005 revival but with all the publicity surrounding it's return, and comments from older people around me, I understood it was an old show brought back, which kind of made me think it was going to be a short lived gimmick, especially casting billie piper which seemed like casting for the sake of publicity. How wrong I was, and glad to be so.

Couldn't actually watch when series 1 broadcast as I worked Saturday evenings with no option to record, but as I heard more about what it was about I was so fascinated by the premise and this character of the doctor, and some odd clips of repeats I managed to see. Come Christmas I'd heard enough hype to know that he had regenerated and exactly what that meant, and my family had been watching the series because my parents remembered it from there childhood, so christmas day I watched the Christmas invasion with my family and that was it, I was sold. Remember buying the series 1 dvds and racing through them before series 2 and have been a big fan ever since. Even though I remember all that it now seems weird to remember that it's only been 9 years, as it's now so embedded in the mainstream that it seems crazy that 10 years ago, for most, it was either unheard of, or a tv relic from a bygone age.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The best thing is that it feels so different from anything else. Any other show that was 9 years old you'd think it lucky to have lasted this long and except that it would be ending sooner than later, but with new who it feels like a foregone conclusion that there will always be another series, and would be more surprising if they actually said it was going to stop.

If you take the whole of new who and classic who into account it's amazingly impressive to think that in 50 years one show could continuously broadcast a series for 34 of those years with only one big gap inbetween. Any other show going for anywhere near that length would have been constantly start for a few years then get stale and stop for a few years, but not doctor who. A testament to the overall strength of the premise, and the shows ability to constantly feel fresh while keeping the central idea the same.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the Radio Times pics.

But can we dump the Slitheen now please?

Crikey, I even got a 'special' huge Slitheen as part of the Eaglemoss collection; which I didn't really want..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its quite remarkable that even taken as a separate entity apart from Classic (which I don't think it ever should be btw) New Who has already far outlived most genre shows in its own right and is about to enter another brand new era in its Tenth year. This is especially remarkable in this day and age when so many shows get hyped to high heaven and then killed off one or two seasons in.

I still remember watching 'Rose' very vividly. I wasn't completely sold straight away I must admit. I had spent far too long imagining what Doctor Who would be like if it ever came back that it was never going to match exactly what I was hoping for. Of course as it turned out it was better than what I had hoped and was exactly what was needed. My vision of Doctor Who would've lasted two seasons maximum at that point I expect if that. And even when watching 'Rose' that first time despite my initial misgivings about wheelie bins and 'that girl who sang that really annoying song' it had something special. It was quite unlike anything else on TV as it always was and always has been since. And it was wonderfully, brilliantly 'British' in the best possible way.

Oh and the writing! The wonderful writing! They took it seriously thank goodness
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    I saw the Radio Times pics.

But can we dump the Slitheen now please?

Crikey, I even got a 'special' huge Slitheen as part of the Eaglemoss collection; which I didn't really want..

Don't really get all the slitheen hate, as I actually think they were a rather menacing family of villains. The gas issues with the bodies they inhabited which some people seem to cite as a reason to not take them seriously wasn't really made a big deal of or played for over the top comic value in the episodes themselves, it was just another detail of their characters in what I thought were three brilliant episodes that featured the slitheen. I'd happily see them back.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ugh, yet another thing to make me feel old! I also read recently that Intel plan to release a new CPU called the "Pentium Anniversary Edition," to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the first Pentium processor.

God, it doesn't seem all that long ago that these things were brand new! Nine years since Doctor Who returned. It was off the air for so long, the build up to the revival seemed like an age in waiting from its announcement - and now NINE friggin' years have passed?!?! How's that possible? :eek:

Now I'm off to shake my walking stick at some passing teenagers, because they look like they're having too much fun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't really get all the slitheen hate, as I actually think they were a rather menacing family of villains. The gas issues with the bodies they inhabited which some people seem to cite as a reason to not take them seriously wasn't really made a big deal of or played for over the top comic value in the episodes themselves, it was just another detail of their characters in what I thought were three brilliant episodes that featured the slitheen. I'd happily see them back.

Though they don't cause me undue bother these days when taken in the wider context of the show we have since seen I must admit that despite a few good moments that first Two parter was horribly worrying at the time as it was exactly what I hoped they wouldn't do when the show returned. Of course so much better was to come and not long after but at the time I was horrified and rather than the slightly silly knockabout fun it can be seen as now with hindsight I was worried that this was the direction the show would take. Thankfully it proved to be a blip of terrible taste. And even the Slitheen were partly redeemed before the season had finished with 'Boom Town' which proved whatever his lapses in taste RTD didn't treat the show as something silly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Ugh, yet another thing to make me feel old! I also read recently that Intel plan to release a new CPU called the "Pentium Anniversary Edition," to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the first Pentium processor.

God, it doesn't seem all that long ago that these things were brand new! Nine years since Doctor Who returned. It was off the air for so long, the build up to the revival seemed like an age in waiting from its announcement - and now NINE friggin' years have passed?!?! How's that possible? :eek:

Now I'm off to shake my walking stick at some passing teenagers, because they look like they're having too much fun.

It is mad isn't it! Its what terrifies me about the show ever going again. Of course if it should then it must. But thinking back the past decade and all the things that have happened and life changes, friends and lovers come and gone, people found and people lost, Doctor Who has been a constant and whatever happens I know that at some point in the year we can all sit down and hear that familiar theme tune and all is right with the world for 45 glorious (and sometimes not so glorious) minutes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do apologize. I got all wistful for a moment then.