Options

Facetime Replacement.

ACL777ACL777 Posts: 1,665
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As I am leaving IOS to go to Android and most of my friends and family have Facetime what is the best replacement to use? I still need to use something that uses wi fi and connects to apple devices from my Sony Z2. Which is better Skype or Google hangouts?

Comments

• Options
    ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Skype allows video conferencing, whereas Google Handouts does, so that's a plus already if you're interesting in using something like that.

Personally I would go for Google Hangouts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I will go for Google Hangouts as long as I can connect with people using iPhone's.
  • Options
    ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACL777 wrote: »
    Thanks. I will go for Google Hangouts as long as I can connect with people using iPhone's.

Yes, you'll be able to speak with people who have an iPhone providing they have the Google Hangouts app installed.
  • Options
    jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can never get Skype to work on my iPad and android..
    The people are in there, says they are available, all the settings are ok on all devices but it often fails to connect... Useless If you cannot rely on it to work, was hoping to get my folks used to using it before I went to the USA as I have an ipad but an s4 phone and have free roaming data on three but no tethering so cannot use FaceTime,..
    Tried Skype a dozen times to call them wit no response, then tried FaceTime and it connected immediately as always..
    Might try google hangouts if that does the same thing, I only use it for texting on my android phone, didn't know if could video message too..
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaffboy151 wrote: »
    I can never get Skype to work on my iPad and android..
    The people are in there, says they are available, all the settings are ok on all devices but it often fails to connect... Useless If you cannot rely on it to work, was hoping to get my folks used to using it before I went to the USA as I have an ipad but an s4 phone and have free roaming data on three but no tethering so cannot use FaceTime,..
    Tried Skype a dozen times to call them wit no response, then tried FaceTime and it connected immediately as always..
    Might try google hangouts if that does the same thing, I only use it for texting on my android phone, didn't know if could video message too..

Hangouts allows messaging, video calls and photo sharing. I use it all the time on my phone, tablet and laptop on both mobile and WiFi connection. It's very reliable.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd also recommend Google handouts.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carguy143 wrote: »
    Hangouts allows messaging, video calls and photo sharing. I use it all the time on my phone, tablet and laptop on both mobile and WiFi connection. It's very reliable.

I hadn't realised it did all that, I thought it was just for twitter and facebook, neither of which I'm in. So I've disabled it. Could I use it for video calls from Andrid phone to laptop, or, even better, iPad or laptop to laptop?
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I hadn't realised it did all that, I thought it was just for twitter and facebook, neither of which I'm in. So I've disabled it. Could I use it for video calls from Andrid phone to laptop, or, even better, iPad or laptop to laptop?

Yes. Hangouts is cross platform and I often talk on my android phone and tablet to friends on their iphones and laptops. The only platform it won't work on is windows phone.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carguy143 wrote: »
    Yes. Hangouts is cross platform and I often talk on my android phone and tablet to friends on their iphones and laptops. The only platform it won't work on is windows phone.

Thanks for that - I'll look into it.
  • Options
    de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can also use the facebook app to make free video and voice calls.
  • Options
    natbikenatbike Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hangouts wins hands down if three of more are connected together. VC on the cheap.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or alternatively buy an Ipod touch and keep using Facetime. Even the old 4th generation ones still have Facetime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have set up my gmail account and linked Google plus account with picture and location on my profile but none of my family members can find me in search. I have even tried to find myself on search and I don't show. Is there anything extra I should do for hangouts in order to use it or show up. I take it hangouts is n extension of Google plus, ie if you have plus you have hangouts??
  • Options
    springyspringy Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    ACL777 wrote: »
    I have set up my gmail account and linked Google plus account with picture and location on my profile but none of my family members can find me in search. I have even tried to find myself on search and I don't show. Is there anything extra I should do for hangouts in order to use it or show up. I take it hangouts is n extension of Google plus, ie if you have plus you have hangouts??

You can search by email address

Ask your family members to add you to their gmail account using your email address and then you should begin to see each other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.It is all sorted now other than the fact my phone can receive video and hangout calls and I get alerted but my Dads IPhone doesn't get alerted[with a tone or symbol] to when I am ringing although he can receive them. It seems I would have tell him in advance to be looking at hangout when I am ringing. Very strange.
  • Options
    Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have you tried out WeChat?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but I will look into it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hangouts is up and running but it is awful,to the point of not being usable. The picture is bad and the lag is a joke. I will not be using it again and have downloaded Skype for my M8 which works just as well as facetime use to when I had an IPhone.