Options

Philips DVD Recorder

I bought a Philips DVD Recorder DVD+R about 2 years ago and at the time all the discs I bought (R and RW) apart from duff discs recorded fine.

The last two batches of discs that I have bought now are not recognised and have been told that disc technology has progressed.

Unfortunately that for me seems to mean that my DVD Recorder is old technology. Does anyone have any ideas as to discs that work in older DVD recorders?

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    My DVD recorder is two years old. I use Imation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say its the DVD recorder that is probably failing, Philips DVD recorders are very unreliable, do a search on here and you'll see. I have a 4 year old dvd recorder and it still works fine with any disc's i buy, even 16x ones.

Unless you are buying dual layer discs which probably wouln't work anyway?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    asdigi wrote: »
    I would say its the DVD recorder that is probably failing, Philips DVD recorders are very unreliable, do a search on here and you'll see. I have a 4 year old dvd recorder and it still works fine with any disc's i buy, even 16x ones.

Unless you are buying dual layer discs which probably wouln't work anyway?
    Most definatly nothing to do with the DVD Recorder. It still works on the old DVD RW discs. Just won't work on newer discs that I have bought in the last 9 months. The trouble is I buy 50-100 at a time because i also burn on my PC.

Read something somewhere about a firmware fix. Relevant?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nimh999 wrote: »
    Read something somewhere about a firmware fix. Relevant?

Check the Philips website, if there's one available, install it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Most definatly nothing to do with the DVD Recorder

I wouldn't be too sure. A lot of Philips' DVD recorders start playing up with different kinds of discs. Have a read of this thread and be grateful yours will still recognise DVD-RWs!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=326808
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    I have had this problem with dvd drives at work. As time goes on the speed of the available media increases it seems to make the drives less tolerant of the disks.
    For example we bought some verity systems dvd multi copiers (approx 5 years ago) which had 4x speed drives in and we started getting copy errors when we bought a new batch of media. we researched on the www and introduces a firmware upgrade to x8 and the problem pretty much went away, then they introduced 16 x disks and the prob came back but worse.
    in my experience however you have a much greater chance of reliable copying if you were to select disks that say "up to x16 copy" rather than "x16" for example !
    In our case TDK 1-16x disks worked for us.
    Cheers
    Streekie

p.s. sometimes it just becomes too much of a fight keeping things going and you have to just let it go and get something more up to date.
  • Options
    oxford4eyesoxford4eyes Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i got a philips dvd recorder which i have had a fair bit of trouble with i have instaalled the latest firmware but i still get a few dvd dics messed up with the message dics error then can't use them any more