Home Theatre System Setup

Recently bought A Sony Bravia and DAV-DZ810W HTS from Comet online, but didn't tick the 'help with set-up' box at £59.99!
The TV is set-up, the HTS works fine when playing a DVD, but I have been unable to get the sound running through the HTS when watching television programmes.
I have changed AV channels, changed the function on the HTS controls, changed the sound fields - all to no avail.
Any ideas please?
:confused:

Comments

• soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are you feeding the sound from the TV to HTS?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    With an HDMI cable.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of interest but is HDMI bi-directional? I'm not so sure it is?

If it is only one way then it all depends on whether the HDMI port on your TV is an output or an input. If it is an Input (most likely) then you won't get anything out of it. Similarly if it is connected to an Output on the HTS.

I suspect you need to explore what other connection options are available on your TV and HTS. The TV might have analogue audio outs on phono sockets you can use if the HTS has suitable inputs. Or if you are lucky it might have a digital out on Toslink (optical) or Phono (Coaxial). The HTS is sure to have at least one digital audio input if it is any good.

And it doesn't matter if the TV and HTS digital connections don't match as Maplin, for one, sell small boxes that can convert optical to coaxial or vice versa.
    Forum Member
    Thank-you for your assistance.
    Why are these things never as straightforward as you might think?
    There are two HDMI sockets, which would appear to be 'Input'.
    I am currently waiting for delivery of a longer HDMI lead(the first is two inches too small).

The DVD has both an Optical Digital 'Input', and a Coaxial Digital 'Input', as well as the Analogue Audio 'Input'.

Should any of the above three options make any difference over the others?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have thought a connection from the TV to HTS would be needed.

Normally a pair of phonos are connected from the TV's audio outputs to the systems audio inputs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    uniquename wrote: »
    Thank-you for your assistance.
    Why are these things never as straightforward as you might think?
    There are two HDMI sockets, which would appear to be 'Input'.
    I am currently waiting for delivery of a longer HDMI lead(the first is two inches too small).

The DVD has both an Optical Digital 'Input', and a Coaxial Digital 'Input', as well as the Analogue Audio 'Input'.

Should any of the above three options make any difference over the others?
    What connections are there on the TV as that will determine what connections you use on the HTS. All the information I can find on HDMI implies that it is unidirectional, ie it will carry audio and video signals in one direction only. So it will feed picture and sound TO your TV FROM the HTS but not in reverse.

So you are going to have to use another audio connection back from the TV for normal TV viewing. So which connection you use on the HTS depends on what outputs the TV has to offer.

If the TV has a digital output then use that. It doesn't matter whether it is optical or coaxial as your HTS appears to have both - and contrary to what some will have you believe there is NO difference between the two.

Obviously if the TV does not have a digital output you will have to use analogue. If there are no actual phono sockets on the TV all may not be lost as the audio out might well appear on one of the SCART sockets (if there are any). You can get SCART to phono adapters or leads that would let you hook up the two. Most TVs with SCART sockets have the ability to feed whatever signal is being viewed on screen back down at least one SCART.
    Forum Member
    The TV has :-

1) 2 scart sockets (one showing 'Smartlink')

2) Component video sockets (+ audio L/R )

3) Audio L/R output sockets

4)PC socket

5) 2 HDMI IN sockets (one of them also has audio in L/R sockets adjoining it).

I thought the HDMI cable would suffice, but clearly not.

Will option 3 on my TV suffice, or is there a better option?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately it is not a question of which is the best/worst/somewhere inbetween option. There is only the one option.

The Audio L/R sockets on the TV are your only solution to the problem of getting sound out of the TV. The SCART sockets will probably carry an audio out but that is only going to be a split of the feed to the Audio L/R sockets. So no advantage trying to get a signal out of them.

Everything else is an INPUT only so no use in this instance.
    Forum Member
    I linked the TV and HTS via the audio L/R sockets last night, and the TV sound now comes through the HTS.:)

My next problem concerns satellite box upstairs/ TV downstairs/ magic eye not working....
    ...but I'd better post on the satellite section....

Thank-you chrisjr (and everyone else) for your help!