Scots - do you support England?

Cairy LuntCairy Lunt Posts: 3,192
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Was in the pub last night and got talking to a friendly jock fella. We got chatting about the football and rugby world cup and he said whilst being fiercely loyal to scotland..."You'll never take our freedom etc etc" he also said he supports England.

This took me by surprise because normally all the jocks i have met have started spitting feathers and been ready to glass someone when i have asked if they support England. His reasons are because he see's himself as british and it is his duty to support the british isles. He says he's been willing England to do well in both football and rugby. Do any other scottish folk feel the same way?

Andy Murray the tennis player is a good example of supporting Britain. He's british through and through...well he will be when he wins something anyway. Until then he's scottish.

Comments

• michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, unless they're playing Scotland of course.
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cairy Lunt wrote: »
    Was in the pub last night and got talking to a friendly jock fella. We got chatting about the football and rugby world cup and he said whilst being fiercely loyal to scotland..."You'll never take our freedom etc etc" he also said he supports England.

This took me by surprise because normally all the jocks i have met have started spitting feathers and been ready to glass someone when i have asked if they support England. His reasons are because he see's himself as british and it is his duty to support the british isles. He says he's been willing England to do well in both football and rugby. Do any other scottish folk feel the same way?

Andy Murray the tennis player is a good example of supporting Britain. He's british through and through...well he will be when he wins something anyway. Until then he's scottish.

Well I think your last sentence is a bit hypocritical but yes, I do support England if Scotland are no longer in the competition. It's rare however.
  • BraesBoyBraesBoy Posts: 3,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, of all the home nations i have to admit to supporting Scotland only (nothing personal!) I do support the English clubs sides in european competition though!

I will however (despite my nationalist views) continue to support any event where we compete as Great Britain or the UK!
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend not to, but then I tend not to be interested in sport much :D I support some English sports stars, like Lewis Hamilton, I guess. And my support for Scotland tends towards sarcastic mockery anyway, so you're probably better off!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant fathom whilst chatting to a scot, they say I hope England lose whilst wearing a chelsea shirt
  • dundee_markdundee_mark Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    No .
  • Cairy LuntCairy Lunt Posts: 3,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do have to say that i'm not that keen on supporting scotland myself. If they were to do well in a competition then i would find myself a little bit peeved. This is only because the jocks hates the english doing well. Its a bit playgroundish but hey...sod ya! :D

Like i say though, If Andy Murray wins wimbledon then i'll smile and call him british for a while.

There was a time when David Coulthard was british. He's scottish again now though.

The scots have never really had much sporting achievement to crow about anyway so i can understand the fella in the pub last night wanting to be 'British' when England play.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps this jock was just being polite or actually being genuine when he wished the England squad well, as opposed to jumping on the bandwagon.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't bring myself to wish English national sides well whilst the UK media continue to fawn over them.

Perhaps if they toned down their praise (or at least gave equal exposure to good results from the other home nations) I might reconsider.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not being politically correct or anything, but what's the difference between calling the Scots 'Jocks' and calling the Irish 'Micks'?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and the english sassernacs
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cardbus wrote: »
    and the english sassernacs

Sassenach derives from the Gaelic for Saxon, so it does have a meaning as well as being a mild insult.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Not being politically correct or anything, but what's the difference between calling the Scots 'Jocks' and calling the Irish 'Micks'?

I don't see a difference, although those two uses are much more polite than the usual "English bastard" that I get sometimes. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do Jocks not like being called 'Jocks'?

Hardly insulting is it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Nope, well I dont. Im half Scottish half English. I live in England but id choose Scotland any day over England. Im not really interested in sport but if Scotland were playing I used to watch with my dad. I just love Scotland and anything Scottish!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    butterbean wrote: »
    I don't see a difference, although those two uses are much more polite than the usual "English bastard" that I get sometimes. :D

I tend to get that also especially when the footie is on:eek:
  • tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BraesBoy wrote: »
    Nope, of all the home nations i have to admit to supporting Scotland only (nothing personal!) I do support the English clubs sides in european competition though!

I will however (despite my nationalist views) continue to support any event where we compete as Great Britain or the UK!

I can't believe that I agree with an entire post from BraesBoy :eek:. We may support different football teams but obviously share an attitude. Mind you now that I live in Wales I notice that even the locals were supporting England on Saturday night. I suspect it may have been different in Glasgow :D.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,999
    Forum Member
    Do Jocks not like being called 'Jocks'?

Hardly insulting is it?

Try 'Scots', that way you don't run the risk of insulting anyone. Unless that's the intention in the first place.

Yes - I support England. I was sweatin on Saturday watching the rugby I tell ye.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    Try 'Scots', that way you don't run the risk of insulting anyone. Unless that's the intention in the first place.

Yes - I support England. I was sweatin on Saturday watching the rugby I tell ye.

No waeeeyyy??

Get tae fukk!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »

Well said

If people expect an answer, it's a good idea not to go around speaking to them using stupid name like Jock, Taffy, or Mick! :rolleyes:

Another trait of some English people sadly :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive seen a pub full of english people get behind scotland, and when ive said that to my aunt who is scottish she wouldnt believe. Ive had the bloke across the road sing your going home after we got knocked out of the world cup. My mother who is scottish could not believe the nastiness that went on toward the english during the world cup up here. Me personally will support the scots, irish and welsh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomvoxx wrote: »
    I can't believe that I agree with an entire post from BraesBoy :eek:

Come over to the dark side!!! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is he? Whats this all about then?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/5128028.stm

By the way, I don't agree calling Scottish people 'Jocks' No need for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont agree with being called a sassernach, or english bastard, but I still get called it, I personally dont call anyone jock, taff or mick
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always tell myself that I will support England - show a good example to my children, be sporting and bury old parochial hatchets....

...and I do, but then it gets to the semi final, and I just can't do it anymore.... :o

(especially when they call us jocks :mad: )