Having a bathroom suite fitted

2»

Comments

• SamoanJOESamoanJOE Posts: 3,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laurajane wrote: »
    Thanks for the help guys but everyone seems to be giving me quotes that include the actual suite.

We're buying a £250 (in the sale) suite from B&Q so it's just the fitting I need to pay for.

I can't believe plumbers charge so much for a day or two work!

if you want a bath taken out and a new one exactly the same size with the taps in the same place, and the waste in the same place, and the same with a toilet, and basin, you can maybe get it done in 2 days, if not just to get the fixtures and fittings in will take a 5 working days, to finish it all, tiling, painting and so on, probably nearer 8-10 and that is if everything is available and ready to go.
  • horseychick28horseychick28 Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamoanJOE wrote: »
    if you want a bath taken out and a new one exactly the same size with the taps in the same place, and the waste in the same place, and the same with a toilet, and basin, you can maybe get it done in 2 days, if not just to get the fixtures and fittings in will take a 5 working days, to finish it all, tiling, painting and so on, probably nearer 8-10 and that is if everything is available and ready to go.

Blimey! I'm a keen diyer and our bathroom didn't take that long to fit and we did a good job btw:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    Yeah my dad used to fit our bathroom suites and it took him a day. He was just a keen diy-er, not a professional, but it was always a good job.

We've realised my partner's grandad used to be a builder and he said he wont be able to do it (too old now - nearly 80) but he will be there and help us (talk us through what to do), so we'll prob do it ourselves.

Might buy a diy book first as well.

And yes, it will be exactly the same sized stuff going in exactly the same places. We're only changing it because it is a gross peach colour and we want it to be white.

Luckily it is in a house (partner's dad's house) that we're moving into at the end of June and the current tenants are moving out on May 23rd so we'll have 5 weeks of not living there to get it done.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I'd be very suspicious of anyone who tried to string a small bathroom refit out over 10 days, even 5.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When we had our Bathroom done it was a bout £5000 all in all - so thats suite, tiles, paint, floor, labour. Took about a week with just one man doing the work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be very suspicious of anyone who tried to string a small bathroom refit out over 10 days, even 5.

Well lets see how long it takes you?
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    SamoanJOE wrote: »
    Well lets see how long it takes you?

That's not the point.

If I was able to do it myself, and everyone else were able to, the likes of you would be jobless.

My point was that I would not allow anyone to string a job out over ten days, charging between £100-200 per day for labour alone.

Where I come from that's called 'being done'.
  • GemofaBirdGemofaBird Posts: 1,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to your local plumbing merchants and ask them for a recommendation, this is what I did, the plumber who they suggested had a very good reputation, he charged £360 to fit toilet, sink and bath (5 years ago) with all new pipework and he also had contacts that he regulary did jobs with, joiner, tiler, electrician etc. I used his tiler contact and he did a fantastic job, floor and walls for about £300, these prices are not including materials/fittings
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not the point.

If I was able to do it myself, and everyone else were able to, the likes of you would be jobless.

My point was that I would not allow anyone to string a job out over ten days, charging between £100-200 per day for labour alone.

Where I come from that's called 'being done'.

Thats why you should always get a builder to quote you for the job in total.

People get bogged down by the labour thing. I don't charge £100-200 a day. I charge to complete a job, if I put a bathroom in I know from looking at it how long it will take.

I think the difference here is people are talking about just taking out a bath and refitting a new one. I don't do that stuff. I leave that to plumbers.

I go and see a customer, find out what they want design a plan, scource the products. then do the whole job.

Lights, plumbing, tiling, painting fitting of fixtures and when I finish the customer has a totaly finished bathroom all they need to do it turn the shower on.

most of the people on here are talking about bog standard change of suit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    laurajane,go around any local building sites and ask for the plumber to give you a quote
    even ask the tiler also,you buy the materials and they fit them ,we are not all cowboys
    good luck
    chrisdee
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    don't get a builder in if you only want a suite change,get a plumber.samoanjoe seems to think we are all one washer short of a tap......................he doesn't charge £100-£200 per day BUT HE PROBABLY BASES HIS CHARGE TO DO A COMPLETE JOB ON £350.
    PER DAY,or more. hey_jude's suggestion is a good one too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im a plumber and i do tiling £350 to change the suite £25 a mtr for tiling i supply adhesive and trim and grout and a some fittings it would take me 3/5 days
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    My husband has just fitted our new bathroom but we got someone in to tile as the walls are very old and not at all straight. The tiling cost £370 for a small bathroom, but this took him 3 days as the walls were so bad. Originally he thought he would do it in 2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I normal charge between £1900 and £3500, depending on size.
    they take around 10 days, complete strip out prepare and re-fit.
    if there's 2 of us on it we get a max of £1600 for 10 days work= £160 a day. If we finish quicker its a bonus if we over run we just get on and finish, it's part of the job. there's more to the job than just turning up, there's preparing the estimate ordering materials, knowing what and how to do. what fittings and valves to use what type of adhesive to use etc. you should see some of the lash ups people have done. as for the money out of the £160 out of that comes, insurance, tax and Nat insurance and you get about £120. that's £600 a week which is a good wage but not easy work, if it was all you diy'ers would be fitting bathrooms as all your work is so good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sw plumb wrote: »
    I normal charge between £1900 and £3500, depending on size.
    they take around 10 days, complete strip out prepare and re-fit.
    if there's 2 of us on it we get a max of £1600 for 10 days work= £160 a day. If we finish quicker its a bonus if we over run we just get on and finish, it's part of the job. there's more to the job than just turning up, there's preparing the estimate ordering materials, knowing what and how to do. what fittings and valves to use what type of adhesive to use etc. you should see some of the lash ups people have done. as for the money out of the £160 out of that comes, insurance, tax and Nat insurance and you get about £120. that's £600 a week which is a good wage but not easy work, if it was all you diy'ers would be fitting bathrooms as all your work is so good.

Bit late now the threads from 2008.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I had my kitchen fitted, the guy gave me a price for the job and it worked out to about £100 a day. That was just for labour - no materials at all. And he was worth every penny cos he did a fantastic job.

I don't know how long it would take to rip out a suite and fit a new one. But I would be surprised if it could be done in one standard working day.
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I had my kitchen fitted, the guy gave me a price for the job and it worked out to about £100 a day. That was just for labour - no materials at all. And he was worth every penny cos he did a fantastic job.

I don't know how long it would take to rip out a suite and fit a new one. But I would be surprised if it could be done in one standard working day.
    Yes,two people, in at 9am out by 4.15pm, bath, WC and basin with pedestal, all connected ready to use.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Yes,two people, in at 9am out by 4.15pm, bath, WC and basin with pedestal, all connected ready to use.

Ah OK but that's two people. That's obviously going to be more expensive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah OK but that's two people. That's obviously going to be more expensive.
    Hi Babe,

To be fair it generally takes a day and a half or a long working day to fit an entire bathroom suite.

To refit a standard size bathroom, floor to ceiling, between 4 and 8 days.

In this instance, it was my youngest and I, client had completed on the property a few day previously.

Was prepared to put up with everything but the existing suite, didn't blame her either, grotty would be an understatement.

But I had one working day to fit new suite.

Fortunately everything was ground floor, took 35 minutes to take the existing out and into back of van.

End of day, done and dusted, £425 all in.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing the prices people have paid on here makes me feel pretty bad!

In 2006 I had a new CH Boiler fitted and was so pleased with the job the Plumber did, I had no hesitation in asking the same guy a few months later to give me quote for my Bathroom.

It involved a complete strip out, plastering, and I had a plumbed in double shower. He quoted me £6,500 which I felt was a bit steep so came down to £6,300 as long as I paid in cash. So I agreed.

He ordered all the items.....bath, washbasin, taps, toilet, shower base and accessories.

I wanted it fully tiled and he recommended me a tiler who charged me £750 labour. The bathroom is 10ft x 9ft x 7'8" high.

If I could turn the clock back I would have done things very differently. Yes it looked nice when the bathroom was finished, but it took them three weeks to get the job done mainly because they spent so much time fooling around.

The shower base was never properly sealed and I now have to get someone to come out to sort it.

In my mind I feel the whole job was over-priced and I should have spent time getting other quotes, but as this guy had done a very good job fitting the c/h boiler I trusted him and had faith in his work.

My big regret is not having a wet room instead as I have only used the bath about four or five times. Also the toilet is terrible. It's so minute it's a joke. Also it's one of these stupid double flush ones which is supposed to save water, but instead you often end up flushing the damn thing twice so use more water than a 'proper' toilet! The bath is also too small and it's quite narrow.

My advice to anyone thinking of a new bathroom is to get at least three or four quotes and if possible to go and see their previous work. It's also worthwhile buying all your own items. I could have bought better than what I have at an absolute fraction of the cost simply through buying off the internet.

Any professional plumber will then give you a price for the strip 'n fit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello Bulletguy,

I rechecked it was £480 not £425, it was hard work but a doddle to do, it was an in and out job.

I should also say the bathroom is in an awful state but the suite I installed will be binned in February of next year as she is having a two story side and rear extension built, client simply couldn't stand the old one.

£6,300 is still very steep but if it helps, 12x11x9 and £15,800 is what we charged a client for a complete bathroom refit, 18 months ago.
    My advice to anyone thinking of a new bathroom is to get at least three or four quotes and if possible to go and see their previous work. It's also worthwhile buying all your own items. I could have bought better than what I have at an absolute fraction of the cost simply through buying off the internet.
    This bit I disagree with, tell your contractor what you want, supply product numbers, supply addresses if required, get his/her understanding of your needs confirmed in writing but let them supply.

There is of course no harm in the client suppling their own material, the issue is in the event of a problem, what/who is at fault.

We do have clients that supply their own requirements, you can't go to far wrong with bathrooms, kitchens can be a pain

I/my company will not fit a new boiler a client has supplied, other installers have no such issues.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Hello Bulletguy,

I rechecked it was £480 not £425, it was hard work but a doddle to do, it was an in and out job.
    £480 labour only? I wouldn't have minded paying that! :)

£6,300 is still very steep but if it helps, 12x11x9 and £15,800 is what we charged a client for a complete bathroom refit, 18 months ago.
    Blimey.....almost £16k :eek: I'd expect it to be top notch at that price with the very best fittings. Yes I know some bathroom fittings don't come cheap (I paid £120 just for a wall mirror!).
    This bit I disagree with, tell your contractor what you want, supply product numbers, supply addresses if required, get his/her understanding of your needs confirmed in writing but let them supply.

There is of course no harm in the client suppling their own material, the issue is in the event of a problem, what/who is at fault.

We do have clients that supply their own requirements, you can't go to far wrong with bathrooms, kitchens can be a pain

I/my company will not fit a new boiler a client has supplied, other installers have no such issues.
    Yes that's one part I failed on in that I left it to the Plumber to get the fittings and simply said to him I wanted 75% of the cost concentrated to the shower, where in reality I think I probably got more like 50% as the shower head and mixer control is just a basic white plastic Triton.

Just to avoid confusion over the c/h boiler, the Plumber supplied and fitted a brand he recommended (Ideal), which is fitted in the loft so works by remote. The remote unit (Honeywell) packed up after just four years which I thought was pathetic, and it's just cost me £120 to have a new unit fitted.

Could not locate the original Plumber so had to search for someone else who also serviced the boiler at the same time. His only criticism was that the make/model was not particularly one of the better ones! But as I told him, it was what the Plumber who fitted it recommended to me as I know nothing about boilers!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    £480 labour only? I wouldn't have minded paying that! :)
    That included the bathroom suite.
    Blimey.....almost £16k :eek: I'd expect it to be top notch at that price with the very best fittings. Yes I know some bathroom fittings don't come cheap (I paid £120 just for a wall mirror!).
    Bullet, its very easy for me and others to whistle and exclaim £6300! and am wary on how that might make you feel.

But there are very few of us fitters here on DS and general folk whose stomach didn't/won't do a crunch having read how much you spent/were charged for the size of room.

As for your boiler, for £6,300, I would not have fitted you a Baxi, ( well maybe just one model depending on budget ).

Anyone reading, always get several quotes as Bullet has been honest enough to admit to not doing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No ones going to do a complete bathroom refurb for a couple of hundred pounds ,in general, suite to be removed ,tiles removed ,rotten flooring removed ,electrics removed,old plaster removed etc ,etc,,

Suite position first fix,electrics first fix ,plastering, new flooring including plywood,fit bath ,shower,etc ,tiling,fit new basin ,toilet ,shower doors ,new waste fittings,new general bathroom fiitngs ,mirror ,toilet roll holder,new rad ,electrical 2nd fix ,inc light fittings ,underfloor heating ,maybe separate board,fan etc,etc,,

All adds up I always give my clients numerous booklets and access to my trading accounts so most of the time they can choose there own suite which helps with matters of choice,and enables the job to run smoothly..

Yrs ago when i used to be a house bashing plumber we used to rip out a council house bathroom suite and replace by 12-2pm,and we started at 8...
    We also used to fit heating systems from 4-12 rads inc boiler and pipework by 12-7pm inc s plans ,and y plans...
    :)