ITV Returns to Krypton

bhvictorybhvictory Posts: 3,410
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.teletext.co.uk/entertainment/news/7dde3383575076286b77f8fd695b2a56/ITV+to+return+to+Krypton.aspx

There were rumours about this back in 2005 that the BBC were reviving the format. But let's hope ITV keep true to their word.

I wonder who the host will be?
For me there can be no Krypton Factor host but the legendary Gordon Burns.

I hope it goes back to the original format (complete with assault course), and they don't use the dreadful format they used for the 1995 series.

:D

Comments

• bhvictorybhvictory Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More goodness!!!!

'Krypton Factor' could make ITV returnThursday, September 25 2008, 14:23 BST
    By Sarah Rollo
    The quiz show branded "television's toughest" could be on the verge of a revival after a 13-year break.

ITV bosses are poised to order a new series of The Krypton Factor, according to Broadcast.

An insider described the original show as "terrific", adding that "everything eventually comes back into fashion".

An ITV spokeswoman said the broadcaster is "always looking for the best possible programmes for all of its channels".
    :)
    The Krypton Factor was axed in 1995 after an 18-year run on Monday nights. The programme saw four contestants taking part in a number of challenges to test their mental and physical abilities, including a gruelling assault course.

It was among the top ten shows chosen for a TV return in a public poll taken at the start of the year.
  • Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    I loved that show, Maybe Mark Austin would be the idal host if they want ITV personlities.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved that show, Maybe Mark Austin would be the idal host if they want ITV personlities.

Gordon Burns still works most evenings on BBC Manchester, but could possibly be persuaded to return if the BBC allowed him to. :)
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im another fan of this show. I used to watch it as a kid. I loved the films, and answering the questions linked to the film.

Oh, and the obstacle course !!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Im another fan of this show. I used to watch it as a kid. I loved the films, and answering the questions linked to the film.

Oh, and the obstacle course !!

The obstacle course was the backbone of the show I think. Remember when they changed the format and did away with the obstacle course for the 1995 series - that completely ruined the show. They replaced it with an indoor mountain and the observation round (spot the difference video clips) was replaced with computer images.

Why did the have to change something which was alright the way it was, I'll never know!!!

I hope the revival goes back to the format used between 1977-1994 - it will have to in order to work.

:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    i hope they do bring it back i used to love it. i dont even remember it changing for the 1995 year
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kwscott wrote: »
    i hope they do bring it back i used to love it. i dont even remember it changing for the 1995 year

They even had Penny Smith as a co-presenter for the 1995 series - she used to ask the questions in round 1 whilst walking among the contestants while poor old Gordon Burns just sat there like a spare part.

I think that was the show's downfall.

Changing the format drastically always leads to the show finishing altogether - remember when the BBC did a similar thing back in 1998 with Noel Edmonds' Telly Addicts?
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats the chances that it;ll be completly dumbed down, with the questions and tasks being so easy a 5 yr old could answer/do them...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    Whats the chances that it;ll be completly dumbed down, with the questions and tasks being so easy a 5 yr old could answer/do them...

I suppose it depends on the intelligence level of the people who audition for the show. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as they don't do an 'All Star' Krypton Factor with Vernon Kay presenting, which seems to be the norm these days.
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    I'm also a fan of Krypton Factor & hope it comes back with Gordon Burns....got to be GB, don't think it'll be the same without him.
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bhvictory wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on the intelligence level of the people who audition for the show. :)

Considering who gets on to most quiz shows nowadays, I'd say they weed out anyone which actually knows anything in favour of those which are close to brain dead.
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    As long as they don't do an 'All Star' Krypton Factor with Vernon Kay presenting, which seems to be the norm these days.

God forbid!!!:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also a fan of Krypton Factor & hope it comes back with Gordon Burns....got to be GB, don't think it'll be the same without him.

He seems to be very busy with reading the news on BBC North West, so it may be difficult for him to get time off. But you never know!

:D
  • Carry On DoctorCarry On Doctor Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps a younger host would be better. I nominate Dermot O'Leary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never watched the show but it sounds great! Dermot O'Leary would not be able to host the show unless he quits x factor (x factor is a full time all year round job:eek:) I'm not sure about it going out on monday nights. I think it would go down well on sunday nights at 9pm or wednesday nights at 9pm.
  • SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG. I used to love the Krypton Factor!!!! The assault course was the best part and I loved the flight simulator as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG. I used to love the Krypton Factor!!!! The assault course was the best part and I loved the flight simulator as well.

Remember when the did away with the assault course in 1995 and it was replaced with an indoor mountain - UTTER PANTS!!! :eek:

Flight simulator was ace - as was the film clips where you had to spot the difference. Loved it!
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, and the guests will be Wendy Richards, Jamelia, Christopher Biggins and Chris Moyles.

They seem to be the 'standard' guests on all TV shows
  • ewing23ewing23 Posts: 7,669
    Forum Member

Let's be honest, that is more likely to happen than not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was my first thought. You just know they'd be unable to resist a "celebrity" version with all the usual z-listers.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another one who loved it (and tried the puzzles too!). Certainly agree with the sentiments regarding Vernon Kay and Penny Smith. I hope they don't bring from z-lister either; can you imagine Chantelle of Big Brother lamefame presenting it?!! Or the theme tune with a hip-hop synthenised (sp?) hint to it?!!
  • 5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never understood why they cancelled this.

I hope the mental challenges don't get dumbed down.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    This is ITV we're talking about. The host will be alternating weeks of Ant & Dec and Vernon Kay.

One of the challenges will be that Hole in the Wall game on the BBC
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    I'd totally forgotten about this show but I used to love it as a kid. I hope they can bring it back without totally messing up everything that made it great.