Options

Alien: Colonial Marines

Comments

• Options
    PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    No I think the 4 on 4 mode is still being shipped with the game.

No bots though, so for those playing it offline are going to get bored very quickly.

If it's like the versus mode in L4D then I would maybe consider this at a future date....aww who am I kidding, I'll buy this like a sucker, play it for the vs type mode and then more than likely get a bad case of buyers remorse :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Good luck. :D

It's almost a complete different game to the one they showcased at E3 2011 which I thought was fantastic.

Well i've got a sense of humour so it may help having that quality when i play this game.

Once ive played i will be back here to give my verdict.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PinSarla wrote: »
    If it's like the versus mode in L4D then I would maybe consider this at a future date....aww who am I kidding, I'll buy this like a sucker, play it for the vs type mode and then more than likely get a bad case of buyers remorse :D

I'm waiting for a month or two until it's half price or get it second hand. :D
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Oddly enough, I just watched a 2-hour "preview" of this on IGN.

I thought it was kind of funny to listen to some of the developer comments about their relationship with Fox.
    Speaking as somebody with a bit of experience of working with 20th Century Fox rep's in regard to the Aliens franchise, it seems like not much has changed but the Gearbox people are putting a positive spin on things.

Brave choice to ONLY give the player a 3rd person view when playing multiplayer as an alien.
    1st Person view is obviously far more "immediate" but it really IS difficult to wrap your head around the ability to walk on any surface and it's easy to become disoriented so maybe the 3rd person view WAS a deliberate choice to minimise this problem?

Or, OTOH, maybe they just used it so they wouldn't have to roll the entire world around for the player's POV every time they jumped onto a ceiling?

It looks like people are still going to complain about an "imbalance" in multi-player games.
    The aliens seem to be little more than cannon-fodder for the marines.
    At best, it seems like you're going to be able to get one kill before being blasted to death by other players who will, inevitably, learn to move in a small group.

And, for the love of god, why oh why do they insist on having the ability to turn off friendly-fire?
    From what I heard in the preview, there will only be FF in the "ultimate badass" mode.
    Which means, with no FF, marines will be able to equip rocket-launchers or grenades (or similar), travel in a small group and, whenever an alien appears, simply shoot rockets or throw 'nades at the floor and cause the alien to be killed by splash-damage while none of the marines take any damage.

Might sound like a small thing but it demonstrates a profound lack of understanding of how things work in the Alien universe.
    The aliens are supposed to be "gremlins".
    They're supposed to get into the middle of things and cause chaos.

Remember that scene near the start of Aliens where the marines first investigate the hive?
    They collect up all the ammo and give it to Frost to carry.
    An alien grabs Dietrich, she opens up with her flamethrower, toasts Frost & Crowe and ignites the bag that contains all the ammo.

Remember the scene in A3, where they're busy pouring flammable liquid all over the place and the alien zaps somebody holding a flare, which causes the whole place to catch fire?

The aliens are supposed to cause chaos.
    And you can't cause chaos when f**king friendly fire isn't implimented. :mad:

Still, at least they seem to have implimented a system (a bit like L4D) where people get to play on both sides.
    Hopefully this'll mean that everybody will get annoyed at being whupped as an alien and so servers WILL be set up in "ultimate badass" mode so FF is on.
    Although, I fear that all that'll happen is that, when a game starts, half the people who spawn as aliens will decide to leave the game immediately.

Oh, and there will be a single-player game too. Wonder how long that'll be?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I noticed it had been leaked yesterday. The game is only something like 6.5gb which is pitiful.

I don't think we should read too much into the size of the game tbh, i mean Dishonored is only 6.1gb on my PC and that was one of the best games of last year (it will probably have been even smaller on consoles since the PC version has higher resolution textures, etc...), same goes for Borderlands 2 which is just over 6gb (again, on PC). Not that i'm expecting this game to be anywhere near the quality of either of those games if the previews are any indication, but as a massive Alien fan i'm sure i'll get at least a small amount of enjoyment out of it, even if it's only nostalgia value.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aliens:CM is a MUST HAVE for any Aliens fan.

The games story is the true sequal to Aliens and follows on the story after the reactor explosion on LV426 and the doomed escape of Ripley, Hicks and Newt. This is a SANCTIONED sequal, Fox have approved it.

Multiplayer aside, 4 player Co-op campaign aside, new alien sub-types aside, it's worth it just for the story.

Pre-order gets you skins of the actual original characters....so im told.

Return to the Sulaco, return to LV426, return to the crashed derelict.....oh baby, here we go!!
  • Options
    austino6austino6 Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    ^^^You High^^^

Trust me this game is duke nukem forever with different skin's.

Pure crap gave it to my mate to try after chapter 2.
  • Options
    Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old.Tallen wrote: »

The games story is the true sequal to Aliens and follows on the story after the reactor explosion on LV426 and the doomed escape of Ripley, Hicks and Newt. This is a SANCTIONED sequal, Fox have approved it.

Multiplayer aside, 4 player Co-op campaign aside, new alien sub-types aside, it's worth it just for the story.

Return to the Sulaco, return to LV426, return to the crashed derelict.....oh baby, here we go!!

....No. Just no.

This had the chance to be something really good, but word of mouth is saying it is awful. Was going to pick it up, now it is relegated to the bottom of my LF list.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "hey Hicks man, this Aliens game based on us looks just how i feel.."
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yeah, Fox will sanction any old shite as long as it puts coin in their pockets.

The one thing that's commonly said by people involved with the Aliens/Predator franchise is that Fox have absolutely NO interest in the integrity of the filmic canon in the same way that, say, LucasArts do with the Star Wars universe because there's no single champion for the franchise so everything is decided purely on the basis of whether it'll generate a profit.

Ask yourself this: If the events of A: CM are really canon, why did Alien³ and Alien Resurrection actually happen?

If there were still aliens AND an alien queen shambling about on LV426, why did Weyland Yutani bother to go to Fury 161 to collect Ripley and then (more importantly) collect her DNA from there and spend 200 years perfecting the technology to clone her rather than simply, y'know, going back to LV426 and farming the aliens that were, apparently, quite happily still living there?

Fury 161 should be closer to Earth than LV426 (given that the Sulaco crashed en-route from LV426 to Earth) and, from what I've heard, A: CM takes place 17 weeks after the events in Aliens so there should have been plenty of time for WY to go see Ripley on Fury 161, wave goodbye to her, and then go on to LV426 and quarantine the site so they could cultivate the crop of aliens that we're now supposed to believe still existed there.

Bear in mind that, in Aliens, Ripley asks Hicks how long it'll be before they can be rescued from LV426 Hicks replies that it'll be "17 days after [they're] declared overdue".

That implies there's a 17 day journey time from Earth to LV426 so there would have been heaps of time for WY people to have got from Fury 161 to LV426 and still got there ahead of the A:CM marines who, we're told, arrived 17 weeks after events of Aliens.

Course, I'll still be buying the game and I'm still willing to believe it'll be a pretty decent game.
    I'm just not willing to buy the hype that it's canon, when the entire premise of it makes no sense from a canonical perspective.

Also, after reading that back to myself, I guess I'm not quite as "over" the whole Aliens fanboy thing as I like to think I am. :o
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    why did Alien³ and Alien Resurrection actually happen?

I've always wondered that myself, and have long wished they hadn't happened ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    I've always wondered that myself, and have long wished they hadn't happened ;)

Well, there is that, I suppose.

Must say, Alien³ was the first movie that ever made me really think about what films actually intend to achieve.

I mean, when I saw it in the cinema I came out thinking it was an awful film that was thoroughly depressing but then I started to realise that it was probably supposed to make me feel that way so, in that regard, it actually achieved it's goal very well and, once I realised that I realised that it actually seemed like a pretty decent movie.

As for A: R, well, it was another opportunity to see aliens doing their thing so it's all good, I guess. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I tried to cancel my pre-order yesterday however I was told it had already been sent out. It arrived today and I thought I'd give it a go. I highly recommend 2game.com. :p

However this game is possibly the biggest pile of dog sh*t I have ever played. I will be going to CeX on Monday to trade it in, if they will accept it. I seriously cannot stress what an awful game this is. You can't even have offline split screen TDM or anything. Although having a friend play offline co-op does make a slight difference to the game.

We've waited since 2006 for THIS, and THIS isn't even the same game they showcased at E3 2011. I know it won't hurt SEGA or Gearbox, however I won't be touching anything they publish or develop ever again. Even next gen releases.

Poor show Gearcocks. Stick to cell shaded games in future. :(

The only positive about the game is the fact that 2game.com got it here today rather than the 12th. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm an Aliens fan and personally after playing this game I'm tempted to dig a small hole in my garden, throw my Alien/s merch into it, torch it, then bury the smouldering remains.

Any true Aliens fan will testify that AvP2 on the PC has been so far the only Aliens based game worth having. ACM is IMO the Alien Resurrection of Aliens games. Now I know why there was a media review embargo for this game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Any true Aliens fan will testify that AvP2 on the PC has been so far the only Aliens based game worth having. ACM is IMO the Alien Resurrection of Aliens games. Now I know why there was a media review embargo for this game.

Nice of you to say so.
    It was AVP2 that I was involved in. I even got a mention in the manual, along with other members of the AVPNews website.

Alas, even AVP2 could have been MUCH better and a lot of the content was chopped out prior to release.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Nice of you to say so.
    It was AVP2 that I was involved in. I even got a mention in the manual, along with other members of the AVPNews website.

Alas, even AVP2 could have been MUCH better and a lot of the content was chopped out prior to release.

:eek::eek: Fantastic. I'm sure you do hear many fans saying how great AvP2 was then.

I wasn't aware there was anything left out of AvP2. :(

Still the modding community was fantastic and the custom maps people had made were tremendous. I dabbled in Dedit myself but I really couldn't get the hand of it. SP was awesome and MP nailed it beautifly. Never had so much fun. Those were the days. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :eek::eek: Fantastic. I'm sure you do hear many fans saying how great AvP2 was then.

I wasn't aware there was anything left out of AvP2. :(

The biggest thing (that I recall) was that, originally the single-player environment was going to be populated with a heap of wildlife which would interact with the different player characters. It'd provide health for the aliens, trophies for the pred's and show up on the marines' trackers, as well as just making everything seem more "alive".

Alas, it was decided that it'd require more powerful PCs than most people had at the time so it was dropped.
    IIRC, they later released a "gold edition" (or something similar) which had a couple of wild animals restored but they served no real purpose other than so Monolith could say "includes new characters and content" in the blurb.

If it'd gone as planned the environment would have been a lot like Far Cry 3 is today.

Also, most of the play-testers made the point that friendly-fire really should have always been enabled in multi-player (at least for heavy weapons) because it was quickly realised that marines could just shoot rockets at the floor to kill any aliens or pred's that got too close.
    Alas, that was also ignored by the developers.

There was other stuff as well but, TBH, it's all a bit of a blur and I've forgotten most of it.

Still, happy days. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am getting the game Tuesday, just watching Prometheus, it has to be better than that
  • Options
    smokencheesesmokencheese Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am getting the game Tuesday, just watching Prometheus, it has to be better than that

Amen. I think the awful Prometheus has really lowered my expectations for this. Have still bought it and I know it will be fun for a few hours of shooting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guess she don't like the cornbread either!!
  • Options
    PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I tried to cancel my pre-order yesterday however I was told it had already been sent out. It arrived today and I thought I'd give it a go. I highly recommend 2game.com. :p

However this game is possibly the biggest pile of dog sh*t I have ever played. I will be going to CeX on Monday to trade it in, if they will accept it. I seriously cannot stress what an awful game this is. You can't even have offline split screen TDM or anything. Although having a friend play offline co-op does make a slight difference to the game.

We've waited since 2006 for THIS, and THIS isn't even the same game they showcased at E3 2011. I know it won't hurt SEGA or Gearbox, however I won't be touching anything they publish or develop ever again. Even next gen releases.

Poor show Gearcocks. Stick to cell shaded games in future. :(

The only positive about the game is the fact that 2game.com got it here today rather than the 12th. :D

Have you tried the multiplayer yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PinSarla wrote: »
    Have you tried the multiplayer yet?

Not played MP yet. I have seen many vids on Youtube though, TDM and Escape. It looks fun however I'm not a fan of the forced 3rd person Alien view nor the fact that the Horde mode will be packaged as DLC.

If MP is all that matters then some folks won't be disappointed as I think it could be the only redeeming feature of the game.

I'll be trading it into CeX tomorrow as they are offering £28 cash so I'm only down £1. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im a sucker for Alien..is it really gash?
  • Options
    boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Saw a screenshot of the PC version and it looked like there were no graphics options at all! Can someone confirm please.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    mine came this morning & all I can say is the game is shocking!!! stay away at all cost lol