Options

Eastenders Complaining

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    were British this is what we do best:rolleyes: seriously though you cant please everyone in soapland ,
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,304
    Forum Member
    Now now people play nicely! :D
  • Options
    EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just think there is more important things to complain about than Eastenders. So what if the Branning's feature alot no one is going to die because of that and no one is going to die if the writing for episodes is bad and if a storyline is bad. I think we need to five Lorraine Newman a chance Im interested in the Bianca, Ava and Dexter storyline and how Tanya will leave since she won't be splitting up from Max so what could make Tanya leave and Im looking forward to the Medical issues Eastenders have coming up and Im looking forward to Lauren going back to College and Im looking forward to Janine coming back in March and Im looking forward to seeing how Zainab leaves. I got Soaplife Magazine and soon a woman finds a lump in her Brest but she doesn't want to get it checked out
  • Options
    computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it when Eastenders fans go on about boring, cliched characters like Tyler and Joey are ruining the show, yet when interesting characters like Yusef, Ben and Michael come along, fans want to get rid of them because they need to "get their comeuppance".
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noone talked about death, its forum so were allowed to voice our opinions about a soap.
    So far not really enjoying LN reign as EP, but I'll wait and see how the next few months of EE are.
  • Options
    ParoFlameParoFlame Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think most of the 'complaining' is a reflection of the quality on EastEnders. Don't get me wrong, I love EE but there was a time when I wouldn't miss an episode. These days I'm not bothered because I know that if I miss a few episodes or more, I'm not missing much, sadly.

Atm I'm enjoying Hollyoaks the most but I try to watch all the soaps when I can. I'd say Coronation Street has the most well written characters and when the actors are given great material, most of cast can deliver great/terrific performances too. The Domestic Violence storyline is domineering CS atm and I think that's a good thing! Powerful storytelling, fantastic performances and clearly a ratings winner! People are waiting to see the characters because they're enjoying the storyline. The last producer of CS, Phil Collinson, was a fan of block storytelling but Coronation Street still felt like a community, all the characters seem to 'belong', which I think is largely due to the writing but I don't think the same can be said for EE. It's like a lot of the characters are random pieces to an incomplete jigsaw puzzle.
  • Options
    FallingPianoFallingPiano Posts: 962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the most ludicrous post I've read on here for ages. The writers are the storyliners as you put it. Do you think they have no input into the storyline? OF course they do, its part of the whole production that when deciding on a story that everyone gets together and plans the outcome. If anything all the producer is doing is overseeing the production and making final decisions but the writers are very much the reason for most of the storylines.

Go on. Patronise me a little more why don't you. :rolleyes:

If you knew anything about the way EastEnders was run then you would know that they have a story team led by the Story Producer, Deborah Sathe. When writing an episode, a writer is given a document outlining the various plot threads and what should happen within the course of the episode, which will come from the story team. Of course I'm not saying that the writer has no input into the story, but at the same time they don't have as much freedom as some would think. This would be especially true of newer writers, or those who are writing as part of their course on the Writers Academy.

The process you outline is more true for Corrie, but it's much different where EastEnders is concerned.
  • Options
    Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we should see how things go until the 30th Anniversary in 2 years time the show might be really good then or it might not.

If people want to complain then they can. This is a forum where everyone can share their opinions. You can't dictate to people about what they can write.
  • Options
    Superstar99Superstar99 Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you knew anything about the way EastEnders was run then you would know that they have a story team led by the Story Producer, Deborah Sathe. When writing an episode, a writer is given a document outlining the various plot threads and what should happen within the course of the episode, which will come from the story team. Of course I'm not saying that the writer has no input into the story, but at the same time they don't have as much freedom as some would think. This would be especially true of newer writers, or those who are writing as part of their course on the Writers Academy.

The process you outline is more true for Corrie, but it's much different where EastEnders is concerned.

And you claim to know this how exactly? If true then it shows that it doesn't work well and why Corrie is right in their way, hence the better continuity and general storylines and quality of script. If they don't allow the writers freedom then how can things possibly improve, obviously this Deborah person has too much influence and the finger of blame should be firmly pointed at her door. If this is all true of course, just think that she would have been fired given the state of affairs.

Just looked her up in the middle of writing this, she has been in this role for 75 episodes which equates to about 19 weeks which is nothing in the grand scheme of things and how far back EE has been struggling. Sorry but I just don't buy you explanation or excuse here.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This coming from the person who spent months going on about how Cora could have been Sharon's birth mother...

:D:D
    This is the most ludicrous post I've read on here for ages. The writers are the storyliners as you put it. Do you think they have no input into the storyline? OF course they do, its part of the whole production that when deciding on a story that everyone gets together and plans the outcome. If anything all the producer is doing is overseeing the production and making final decisions but the writers are very much the reason for most of the storylines.

It's not ludicrous at all. EastEnders is mainly comprised of freelance writers. There is a team of 8-12 core writers (Jeff Povey/Simon Ashdown/Chris Reason/Wendy Granditer/Carey Andrews/Jesse O'Mahoney etc) who meet every few months to devise long standing plots with the storyline team.

The other storylines are headed up with the storyline department, lead currently by Deborah Sathe and a team of storyliners. Previously it was headed by Kathleen Beedles and Emily Gascoyne before her, both of which are at Hollyoaks now headed by Kirkwood. Emily was sacked and Kathleen probably was as well.

The structure goes -
    Exec Producer - Lorraine Newman
    Series Producer - Jenny Robins (more production based and Newman's last job)
    Series Story Producer - Deborah Sathe
    Series Consultant - Simon Ashdown

This is all correct.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and how were these writers discovered?
  • Options
    ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am enjoying it a lot at the moment but I feel one family in particular is over dominant in the show right now. Don't get me wrong, I love some of the branning family but Eastenders is now becoming Brannings & Friends.

I feel Alfies and Roxies relationship is not becoming any more real to us. All we have seen so far is Roxy be jealous of Kat, if they continue to be a sub plot, thats all that is ever going to happen.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    and how were these writers discovered?

A lot of them have been there for years - since before 2000 at least.

The others are either BBC Writer's Room students/graduates or get an episode commissioned through agents.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone else find it hilarious that this thread is complaining about complaining about Eastenders
  • Options
    harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This kind of repetitive writing is bread and butter for tv programmes that are shown 4 times a week the entire year round. There are only so many regular stories, only faces, locations and little twists make them appear different.

Having said that, the writing has been very flat in EE and if you're a regular viewer who needs to keep on top of what is happening, then putting up with four half hours of dull tv is unrewarding.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    priscilla wrote: »
    We have opinions and its a forum so we want to voice our opinions. Personally the SLs havent been that interesting, the Lola/Phil/Lexi plot has drag out and become repetitive. The Kirsty plot is just the same old thing when it comes to Max and Tanya. Bianca is still poor, can't she just get a stable job so we can see development.
    Kat/Alfie/Roxy, seems to be something to bide time so Kalfie can reunite just so Kat can cheat again.
    Ayesha, is boring. Have a feeling Zainab will get a crap exit.

The good things are Ava, Dexter, Abi, Dot, Denise and Ian.
    EE focus too much on a set of characters and other characters such as Denise and Ian get pushed aside and used in other peoples SL.

Agree with most of it, but do like Kirsty tho for some strange reason.
    They do need to give Denise a story line to get stuck in, maybe give her a story line where she wins on the scratch card, say around 500.000 and ends up buying the Night club from Phil and runs it with a new dishy fella.
    Abi is becoming really good at acting so would give her a deep story line to stink her teeth into. Ian should go back to his funny ways and looks for love on the internet and meets a few cranks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I will always love eastenders, i never really complain but I have to say I didnt find the xmas episode that good. It was more like any other friday nights show.
    I wanna see Janine come back and loadsa cat fights and story lines with Kirsty.
    I doubt Stacey would come back so soon but it would be soooo good. (i can dream lol).
    Then.... I dunno when Ronnie gets out of Jail but I want her to come back.
    Actually it would be brilliant if she wasnt even in Jail and got out early (for some mad soap opera storyline reason lol) And had a baby but when Jack and Roxy realise she is no longer in Jail they go hunting for her and find her.
    MAN I should work for eastenders lol.
  • Options
    sianlovescatssianlovescats Posts: 1,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seanles wrote: »
    I will always love eastenders, i never really complain but I have to say I didnt find the xmas episode that good. It was more like any other friday nights show.
    I wanna see Janine come back and loadsa cat fights and story lines with Kirsty.
    I doubt Stacey would come back so soon but it would be soooo good. (i can dream lol).
    Then.... I dunno when Ronnie gets out of Jail but I want her to come back.
    Actually it would be brilliant if she wasnt even in Jail and got out early (for some mad soap opera storyline reason lol) And had a baby but when Jack and Roxy realise she is no longer in Jail they go hunting for her and find her.
    MAN I should work for eastenders lol.

Seanles, I like the way you think. Some great ideas for storylines. I think that one of the biggest problems is that the programme is on so many times a week. The result is a recycling of previous storylines. Unfortunately, the actors are having to spout lines that wouldn’t look out of place in an old Jackie magazine. Utter shite! I ppassed an A level in English Literature......no way would any of us pass the exam if we wrote such uunbelievable and inarticulate tosh!
    BTW, Seanles, a belated welcome to DS.x
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    I think we should see how things go until the 30th Anniversary in 2 years time the show might be really good then or it might not.

Maybe people don't want to give up another 2 years for a television show that's not good? I loved the X-Files but when David Duchovney left and Gillian Anderson scaled back the amount of episodes she was in, I stopped watching it and only tuned back in for the last episode. Why? Because it was shit and there's far more to do with your time than waste it on shit things you don't really like. :)
  • Options
    LiamBerryTea ~LiamBerryTea ~ Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it tends to be known for being the bet soap. When it's bad it shows because of that
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my main complaint about EE is why hasn't Tyler been axed as he is the worst actor in the history of the show :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone voting Eastenders for best serial drama at the NTA?
  • Options
    Top_TrumpsTop_Trumps Posts: 2,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone voting Eastenders for best serial drama at the NTA?

Where do I vote?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top_Trumps wrote: »
    Where do I vote?

In the website NTA website
  • Options
    Top_TrumpsTop_Trumps Posts: 2,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the website NTA website

Ah, didn't realise people can vote online, thought be some tv guide magazines.