The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,671
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Wonder how the CL does for ITV tonight. Celtic already a goal down but may be a positive as they aren't the most exciting team to watch
    Neither are Juventus.

Not the sort of tie you normally see on ITV. They'll be alienating a lot of their core audience with two pretty unglamarous football ties in as many days. Doubt the ratings will be too brilliant for these either.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Neither are Juventus.

Not the sort of tie you normally see on ITV. They'll be alienating a lot of their core audience with two pretty unglamarous football ties in as many days. Doubt the ratings will be too brilliant for these either.

Maybe that's why they're airing both - trying to claim a decent 'overall' audience across two matches? :D
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    I'm surprised Channel 5 went for a countdown show and it got the rating in deserved considering the opposition while BBC Two did well in the 8pm hour.

Doubtless to save money, like they have with some other scheduling decisions lately (e.g. a Titanic docudrama repeat). To be fair, although the number of viewers was low, for a repeated list show of almost three hours going close to midnight, the 3.7% share (3.85% inc +1) wasn't terrible for what it was. And excluding +1, it out-averaged last week's Dallas.
    I'm guessing Pointless kills The Chase on consolidated, because it's much better. Anyone got figures please?

The average of the latest available full week of consolidated ratings (Monday 28/1 - Friday 1/2) for the two teatime quizzes were as follows:

Pointless: 3.59m (21.2%)
    The Chase: 3.52m (21.75%) / 3.80m (23.5%) inc +1

The consolidated numbers strip out the commercial breaks which helps The Chase, although someone said it still tends to increase from the overnights far less than its rival. Very close between the two on any measure.
    To be fair to Andy, I did wonder whether The Chase was seeing signs of decline and, while it was above Pointless once again yesterday, I hope they don't overdo it.

But to be fair to you, you didn't declare it a 'done deal' and game over for The Chase, to my recollection. 'Struggling, relatively speaking' I think were your words. Which it was, for a while. :)
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    It's from the exact same 'creative' team as Merlin, though they have left 'Shine' productions to set up their own production team. It seems to have been their side project in between runs of Merlin.
    Ah, so they'll have one plot and repeat it thirteen times a series then.
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Looking at the Barb top ten for E4+1 shows it should be renamed The Big Bang Theory Channel since it hold all 10 of the top 10.
    And people said they'd never find a replacement for Friends.
    And how utterly stupid would ITV be to do that.

Wouldn't put it past them though...

I've said already that Creek should be held back till Boxing Day.
    Endeavor versus Creek sounds like a good move to me - I think ITV would come out on top.
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Which is lovely but given that there's no longer a CBBC block on BBC1 you'd expect the CBBC channel to pick-up some extra viewers along the way. I know the children's block wasn't exactly pulling in viewers but its hard to look at how the CBBC channel has actually been performing and say they've seen much upshot to ending the block on BBC1.
    Would be interesting to know what the figures are now for kids watching BBC1 between 3-5.15pm compared to when CBBC aired. I wouldn't be surprised if more kids are watching shows not aimed at them than were watching the shows made for them.

IMO the best promotion for CBBC isn't numerous trailers on BBC1 - it is a block of shows. The time was right to end the afternoon block but I do think they should have kept a weekend block which in an ideal world would be a Saturday morning show on BBC1 and then a block of CBBC shows on BBC2 on Sundays. A Saturday morning show especially could really act as a shop window for the channel, both incorporating a couple of it's big shows and also having guests from others.
    iaindb wrote: »
    Question:

As +1 channels provoke so much debate and argument on this thread, I was just wondering if anyone knew which UK TV channel was the very first to have a +1 channel.

Did this practice originate in American? Anyone know which channel was the first in the world to have a +1 channel?
    I don't think it's an American thing at all. Some channels have an East and a West version, which is effectively +3, Similarly +2 is common in Australia to reflect the time difference between East and West.

FilmFour+1 is the earliest timeshift channel I can think of, and I think ultimately they grew here to act as placeholders certainly on Freeview and also as both placeholders and basically just to make use of bandwidth cheaply on Sky when companies found themselves with more space than they knew what to do with.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it would have to be written into (my hypothetical) contract that ITV would have to screen at least one match featuring each team (but not all England games). That would them having to show France vs Italy or the other home nations matches.

It could work :)

I think your smiley is an admission of defeat here, but I'm going to carry on in a smartarse fashion and ask who you envisage showing the other matches in your hypothetical contract. If it's the Beeb, that would be pointless, and if it was Sky imagine the complaints about F1 and multiply them by about a hundred.

If ITV are happy to show first and second round matches in the FA Cup, let alone Oldham vs Everton and Huddersfield vs Wigan, I don't see why they couldn't bid for and show the whole of the Six Nations if they wanted to. Although even after the success of the Rugby World Cups on the channel, I don't think they've ever bid this century.
    ChrisE wrote: »
    I only watch Pointless and the only 'hook' I can think of, is the build up of the prize money.

If it is small then the program is missable, but like recently it had reached £20,000, it becomes more compelling.

I real 'stato' could produce a viewing figure vs jackpot graph.:D;)

I don't see that at all, I don't care how much money the team are winning. If they're playing for £1000 and the final question's about football or TV, I'm far more interested in it than if they're paying for £20,000 but the final question's on countries of the world or Hollywood actors because I'm rubbish at both. I don't care how much they win, I don't know them. I don't think anyone tunes into Pointless or The Chase because of the prize. Just like everyone watched Milionaire but nobody watched the Millionaire rip-offs with equally big prizes because they were crap quizzes.
    I think part of the problem is that we're so used to dumbed down telly now that our brains have turned to mush, and we're all distracted by smartphones and Twitter and posting on DS, that we have the concentration spans of gnats.

Well, I certainly don't see why anyone would post on DS or tweet during a programe they're supposed to be watching, but I thnk Derek might have a point in that now there are three breaks in an hour, shows do seem a bit unsubstantial. I watched Black Mirror live because I wanted to see it as soon as I could but I have actually got to the stage where sometimes I do record a show on a commercial channel because I can't be arsed sitting through all the ad breaks.
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Yeah I just mean it seems to be very much how jay hunt seems to want a new modern audience as opposed to how channel four was running on big fat gypsy wedding series and big brother before. Black mirror is quite cult like and cutting edge where I think channel four wants to be right now.

"If nobody is watching this show, we should carry on doing it" - Michael Grade on Vic Reeves Big Night Out, in 1990. I don't see why Black Mirror should be considered anything out of the ordinary or recommissioned because of bizarre reasons. C4 and BBC2 have always frequently recommissioned shows that get comparatively low ratings because they get the right kind of viewers. That's nothing to do with Jay Hunt, that's the way the channel has always worked. It only might look different now because C4 is showing too much mainstream stuff.
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Blue Peter is still doing terribly though. The BBC aren't even making an effort to promote it.

They are, though, Helen is bloody everywhere, with all her Comic Relief stuff and her appearances on Chris Evans' show to run his short story competition. She's probably the most famous kids presenter on telly right now. I don't know what else they're supposed to do with it. It's not going to get trails after 'stEnders.

It's pretty pointless trying to read much into the ratings of kids shows because they're so small - when it comes to the number of kids, certainly - that a thousand or so viewers switching on or off in any given week can have a huge impact. The kids chart in Broadcast defies any kind of commentary because it's so volatile and virtually the entire top ten changes every week.

Juventus, unglamorous? Better than the likes of Cluj, who Man U were playing before Christmas. And Celtic are a famous club, not as much as Man U, no, but probably more famous than the likes of Wigan. I'd put them up there with Real Madrid in terms of viewer interest.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,135
    Forum Member

It's pretty pointless trying to read much into the ratings of kids shows because they're so small - when it comes to the number of kids, certainly - that a thousand or so viewers switching on or off in any given week can have a huge impact. The kids chart in Broadcast defies any kind of commentary because it's so volatile and virtually the entire top ten changes every week.

Not entirely. The Dumping Ground is probably the only kids show with ratings to look into because it has the potential to continue rising.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    As +1 channels provoke so much debate and argument on this thread, I was just wondering if anyone knew which UK TV channel was the very first to have a +1 channel.

Discovery +1 was the first, available from the launch of Sky Digital in 1998.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think your smiley is an admission of defeat here, but I'm going to carry on in a smartarse fashion and ask who you envisage showing the other matches in your hypothetical contract. If it's the Beeb, that would be pointless, and if it was Sky imagine the complaints about F1 and multiply them by about a hundred.

If ITV are happy to show first and second round matches in the FA Cup, let alone Oldham vs Everton and Huddersfield vs Wigan, I don't see why they couldn't bid for and show the whole of the Six Nations if they wanted to. Although even after the success of the Rugby World Cups on the channel, I don't think they've ever bid this century.

I'm surprised they haven't gone for the lot - maybe STV and ITV Wales would have to agree to a bid as they would be host broadcasters and they're refusing to agree on cost grounds?
    Forum Member
    eterry21 wrote: »
    Just wondering, how did Piranha do on Sunday?
    Sunday 10 February
    Channel 5

22:00 - FILM: Piranha: 895k (5.6%) inc +1
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    Channel four has shown mixture of mainstream and cult over its history. Brookside captured millions and brought viewers to the channel

But lately it seems to want to abandon any mainstream. I think hunt is responsible for its spiraling share. It no longer competes with bbc two which creates good drama and interesting schedules. I dont know who or what channel four is for now it is as white and bland and contrived as its logo junctions. Its kinda souless at the moment. I think a new director is needed to inject life into a dying channel

It used to be a mix of different things but its just quite like entering the tate modern and finding a cement brick sitting on a wooden floor. Its a channel that isn't that loveable any longer.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like The Bridge is getting remade not only In the UK and France but the US as well as FX has picked it up for 13 episodes. Interesting theyve gone for US and Mexican rather than US and Canada but I guess they wanted to retain the language barrier aspect,
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised they haven't gone for the lot - maybe STV and ITV Wales would have to agree to a bid as they would be host broadcasters and they're refusing to agree on cost grounds?

Well, ITV Wales are ITV so that wouldn't be an issue, and given STV are happy to leech off any ITV contract that involves Scotland, as we can see tonight, that wouldn't be an issue. But I do know back after their successful Rugby World Cup coverage in 2003, the rights for the Six Nations came up not long after and ITV didn't even bid.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Discovery +1 was the first, available from the launch of Sky Digital in 1998.

Little b**tards! If it hadn't been for them The Ratings Thread would still be on page 4 of part 4.:D

Thanks for the reply.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, ITV Wales are ITV so that wouldn't be an issue, and given STV are happy to leech off any ITV contract that involves Scotland, as we can see tonight, that wouldn't be an issue. But I do know back after their successful Rugby World Cup coverage in 2003, the rights for the Six Nations came up not long after and ITV didn't even bid.

Very strange; as others have stated I think their rugby coverage is very good (better than the football) and it could boost the Saturday share across the winter. Possibly it's that or the football and they went for the football as the latter covers more of the year.

Off topic but regarding Dallas - I'm surprised Channel 5 didn't give it a go at 10pm before the switch to 11. I'm also surprised they changed it this week instead of waiting for next week when it can be altered in all the TV guides. it's not going to help the show and frankly it needs all the help it can get.
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ITV coverage of the World Cups though has IMO been poor, and not a patch on BBC's coverage of the 6 Nations.

It is bad enough having to endure the World Cup on ITV let alone the 6 Nations as well.
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Looks like The Bridge is getting remade not only In the UK and France but the US as well as FX has picked it up for 13 episodes. Interesting theyve gone for US and Mexican rather than US and Canada but I guess they wanted to retain the language barrier aspect,
    I suspect it has more to do with the huge (and growing) Hispanic audience myself. I imagine that in the coming years we're going to start seeing more shows aimed at that demo. Its become far too big for television networks to continue to ignore. Although they have managed to quite effectively ignore black viewers for decades so...
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Would be interesting to know what the figures are now for kids watching BBC1 between 3-5.15pm compared to when CBBC aired. I wouldn't be surprised if more kids are watching shows not aimed at them than were watching the shows made for them.

Viewing of BBC One, weekdays only, 15:05 - 17:15, among children aged 4-15

January 9 - February 3 2012 (BARB weeks 3-6)
    59k (4.85% share, 8.4% skew)

January 7 - February 1 2013 (BARB weeks 2-5)
    42k (3.35% share, 2.4% skew)

You're not far off: BBC One has kept quite a good proportion of kids it had, although the skew to the kids demo is well down. Quite weird how low the skew was before, though: about a third of the audience were over 65!

All above figures are consolidated.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So the UK/French version is made by Kudos and Shine France and the US is FX and Shine America.

All four companies part of News Corp.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't air two hour dramas there, so they split Lewis into two part chunks, in the process alienating the fan base, so it could take on Miranda, whereas some plodding procedural would have been trounced.

Except Lewis seems to be doing pretty well in that slot, even with the tough competition. What would be the point in throwing a new drama under the bus like that if they had an option such as Lewis which could do well for them?
    Martin Clunes' show skewed ridiculously old.

It only had 1.3m viewers under the age of 55. :eek:

The overnight looked pretty decent but when you break it up maybe not so much. Odd too - the 18-49 skew is marginally higher than Countryfile and Call The Midwife. But among those 49+ it was really lopsided towards the 65+ category rather than split across 55-64 and 65+.
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    Quite frankly I never get into the +1 debate because it's unbearably tedious. Yet with Pointless it's a massive thing, during the xmas week, on a normalish day, the put pointless on at close to 6 O'Clock, it hit well over 4 million I think, when it's shown on Saturday it beats most shows.

5 O'clock to 6 O'clock is obviously going to be a massive difference on a week-day with work for many.

I'm guessing Pointless kills The Chase on consolidated, because it's much better. Anyone got figures please?
    When I had access a few weeks ago, I looked them both up and Pointless' smallest timeshift over a 10 day period was still bigger than The Chase's highest timeshift.

I really don't get the whole "competition" between the the shows anyway, they're both always close and successful in their own right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    I suspect it has more to do with the huge (and growing) Hispanic audience myself. I imagine that in the coming years we're going to start seeing more shows aimed at that demo. Its become far too big for television networks to continue to ignore. Although they have managed to quite effectively ignore black viewers for decades so...

That could be a factor too, they could still bring in a Mexican broadcaster aboard as a co-producer. I just found it interesting that one drama is bring remade in two English speaking countries,

I found out that BBC Worldwide are developing a remake of the French crime drama Engregas/Spiral, I imagine they're aiming for the American market but it would be interesting if any British broadcaster showed interest and wanted to come on board
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Richard Curtis' Mary and Martha is scheduled for 1st March, at 8.30pm, expected this on a Sunday not up against Corrie.

For some reason, this is the first I've heard of this programme, but I've just looked it up on Google and found a DS article from July 2012. Interesting scheduling, but I suppose given the subject matter it and Call the Midwife one after the other on a Sunday might be seen as a bit heavy-going. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    For some reason, this is the first I've heard of this programme, but I've just looked it up on Google and found a DS article from July 2012. Interesting scheduling, but I suppose given the subject matter it and Call the Midwife one after the other on a Sunday might be seen as a bit heavy-going. :D

It'll probably they'll able to fit in the outstanding dramas like Shetland, Case Histories etc
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    It'll probably they'll able to fit in the outstanding dramas like Shetland, Case Histories etc

That's a good point - I know Case Histories is 3 x 90 minutes. Do we know how many parts Shetland is?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    That's a good point - I know Case Histories is 3 x 90 minutes. Do we know how many parts Shetland is?

Shetland I think is a two parter but that could be done over two nights like Sunday/Monday,
This discussion has been closed.