Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Cheers.
  • Options
    andrewbraunandrewbraun Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    I received the on screen message requesting I go to the help website and enter the details. I am an ROI subscriber. But everytime I do it it rejects because my telephone number does not enough digits. It advises the nukbers must be 9 to 11 digits long and start with a "0". Well my number is 8 digits long and starts with a "0". Even if I try to add an extra "0" it won't accept it !!! Any clues before I call (and wait and wait and wait) Sky ???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I received the on screen message requesting I go to the help website and enter the details. I am an ROI subscriber. But everytime I do it it rejects because my telephone number does not enough digits. It advises the nukbers must be 9 to 11 digits long and start with a "0". Well my number is 8 digits long and starts with a "0". Even if I try to add an extra "0" it won't accept it !!! Any clues before I call (and wait and wait and wait) Sky ???

The ROI dialing code from the UK is (00) +353 try that.
  • Options
    andrewbraunandrewbraun Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Thanks..but I have tried 00 353 and all combinations thereof...doesn't accept any of it!! Weird! Will have to call now and spend half a day waiting to speak with someone. :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    stryvya wrote: »
    Got a letter from Sky this morning asking me for my Version Number, serial Number, viewing card Number and Receiver I.D.??
    Can any one confirm this is genuine please as there are so many Scams out there that I want to be careful.

Thanks

don't bother.. they got all that..
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,528
    Forum Member
    psouth wrote: »
    don't bother.. they got all that..

Unless it's been installed relatively recently then they haven't, which is why they are contacting subscribers (presumably those who's boxes aren't connected to the phone) in order to get the Receiver ID.

This is a new addition, added in a recent software update, and without it it's probable that problems will occur in the future.

At a guess, I would assume it's an extra security feature to prevent card sharing - so without Sky knowing your details, you're going to lose your channels when it's implemented.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd think that Sky/NDS, since they write the software, would have written it such that they can generate the ID on their end just as the box does (if that's what it does).

It would be cheaper than sending out letters and phoning people.

Interestingly the Sky website states that multiroom subscribers should do all the boxes in the house (even though they should be connected to the phone line) and that there is a tick box if you don't have a receiver ID. What do they do then?
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,528
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    You'd think that Sky/NDS, since they write the software, would have written it such that they can generate the ID on their end just as the box does (if that's what it does).

Presumably the box generates the receiver ID based on some unique internal values, so couldn't be generated directly at Sky.

I would imagine if you tick 'no receiver ID' you will be placed in a database to be contacted again later, once your box has updated.