Freak wave hits Aberystwyth seafront

NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/video-watch-moment-freak-wave-6268805

:eek:

Well not really freak as large random waves like this are common but it just shows you how you have to treat the sea with a lot of caution

Comments

• Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know a lot of Welsh people go to Aberystwyth but isn't it awfully unPC to call them Freaks?!?
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Well it is the start of a new University year.
  • shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Northerly wrote: »
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/video-watch-moment-freak-wave-6268805

:eek:

Well not really freak as large random waves like this are common but it just shows you how you have to treat the sea with a lot of caution

Nothing freak about it.

Spring tides occur every month and if you look on the Tide Table website it tells you that there were very high tides at the weekend.

The highest tide of the month is actually today.:)
  • NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhhhh wrote: »
    Nothing freak about it.

Spring tides occur every month and if you look on the Tide Table website it tells you that there were very high tides at the weekend.

Thats as maybe but that wave was more about the windspeeds that day
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Northerly wrote: »
    Thats as maybe but that wave was more about the windspeeds that day

I agree, but if it wasn't a spring tide then it more than likely wouldn't have done any damage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    serves the sod right for having a £6000 camera
  • Dusk1983Dusk1983 Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darwinism in action, almost... because you have to be pretty ****ing stupid to be on the promenade during a storm.
  • JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I know a lot of Welsh people go to Aberystwyth but isn't it awfully unPC to call them Freaks?!?

I wonder what the collective noun should be for small groups of Welsh people. Same question for the English and Scots. Could be fun.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bugloss wrote: »
    Yes, he should have drowned :rolleyes:
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Justicar wrote: »
    I wonder what the collective noun should be for small groups of Welsh people. Same question for the English and Scots. Could be fun.

A cwtch.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    Nothing freak about it.

" four or five times bigger than any other wave that hit the prom that night." qualifies as a freak wave in my book. It also drenched the window in front of the person filming it, from what would have seemed to be a safe position high above the promenade. Lucky for him/her that it didn't smash the window!
  • and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bugloss wrote: »

What's wrong with having a £6000 camera? If he is a professional photographer then he would need professional equipment which costs a lot of money. A good quality medium format camera body like a lot of wedding photographers use can cost in excess of £20,000 and that doesn't even include a lens, you can add an extra £3000 on top for a basic lens.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Nothing freak about it.

How can there be a spring tide in the middle of autumn?
    Forum Member
    kevin0410 wrote: »

If you don't know that, I suggest that you look it up before going anywhere near the coastline!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    If you don't know that, I suggest that you look it up before going anywhere near the coastline!

whoops, every day's a school day!

Although not going 'anywhere near the coastline' was a slightly unnecessary comment.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spring tides occur throughout the year. See:

http://www.astronomyknowhow.com/moon-tides.htm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    This is why it annoys me to see stupid people taking risks with their childrens and their own lives. :mad:
    Forum Member
    whoops, every day's a school day!

Although not going 'anywhere near the coastline' was a slightly unnecessary comment.

I meant it seriously, honest (though I meant onto the beach, of course). Many people have been caught out on long shallow beaches or in rocky coves, by spring tides turning at low water and rushing in quicker than usual, including one of my kids once (panic stations!). First thing I've done since then is to look up tide times and type, every time I go to the beach etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    I meant it seriously, honest (though I meant onto the beach, of course). Many people have been caught out on long shallow beaches or in rocky coves, by spring tides turning at low water and rushing in quicker than usual, including one of my kids once (panic stations!). First thing I've done since then is to look up tide times and type, every time I go to the beach etc.

The ones I hate the most are those that go for a walk along the pier when there are waves crashing over it. Sheer stupidity.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting OP.:)

I didn't expect something that dramatic on the video.
    Looks pretty "freak" to me.

The people who got caught were plenty far enough from the beach to feel reasonably safe.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Good quality cctv.

Probably to cater for all the fights that take place along that stretch.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell! That's one big wave. It's massive!
  • NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did u look at the still images?

flipping heck
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Haha not another one who thinks spring tides only occur in the spring.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    " four or five times bigger than any other wave that hit the prom that night." qualifies as a freak wave in my book. It also drenched the window in front of the person filming it, from what would have seemed to be a safe position high above the promenade. Lucky for him/her that it didn't smash the window!

I agree dave, It was a big wave but the fact remains that it was a very high tide too, so if it wasn't a spring tide then the wave wouldn't have been as big would it?;)