Options

Getting Valentine's flowers at work from your partner.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    wantoosoon wrote: »
    Could you not physically hand them to her? You know, in person? When you meet?

It's not easy for me to leave work at lunchtime to get flowers, and I often start work before the shops open. So either I would have to send them to myself, or leave work and hope that there are 3 and a half roses still available somewhere :D
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Let's compromise on 'weird showing off' :)

Let's not:)

If someone receives flowers from someone else that in itself is not showing off, although they may then make a fuss about it.

If someone orders themselves flowers and lets it be known that is what they have done I don't really see what they are showing off about, their ability to order flowers?
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Let's not:)

If someone receives flowers from someone else that in itself is not showing off, although they may then make a fuss about it.

If someone orders themselves flowers and lets it be known that is what they have done I don't really see what they are showing off about, their ability to order flowers?

Okay then.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    brisky wrote: »
    It's not easy for me to leave work at lunchtime to get flowers, and I often start work before the shops open. So either I would have to send them to myself, or leave work and hope that there are 3 and a half roses still available somewhere :D

Would you not just go to a petrol station? They're open til all hours.
  • Options
    trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i sent to my wife at work , 2 dozen red roses , 2 dozen white, and a bumper mixed bouquet .

she went ballistic ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

mind you she does work at the hayfever clinic
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    contrarian wrote: »
    Its classless and tacky
    Who gets to decide if something is classy or not?

You?

No thanks.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    ...is cringy and tacky.

Its right up there with a marriage proposal in front of 1000,s people.

This 100%

My OH bought me a bunch of daff's the other day (£1) and got our 15 month old to give them to me.

That means much more than a bunch of overpriced flowers being delivered to my work because it is a certain date.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Would you not just go to a petrol station? They're open til all hours.

I could do, but then I'd probably have them shoved up my arris :D

I think with flowers, you have to do them properly or not at all.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I would be thrilled but no ones ever brought me flowers before so I'd be thrilled any day of the year. As previously mentioned in the thread getting them home on public transport would be a nightmare. The buses around here are bad enough as it is, manhandling a bunch of flowers on them wouldn't be fun.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once took delivery of this vast bunch of flowers on Valentine's Day from some courier service and just as I was getting excited the man said "Can you look after these? Your neighbour's out."

ETA: To answer the q as I forgot - it is cringeworthy and a little bit stalkerish if they are ostentatiously sent to your place of work (unless you work from home). Also makes you look unprofessional like you can't divide work from homelife or your partner can't which still makes you look uncool. But then I once dumped someone for sending me a huge bunch of flowers - not on Valentine's Day but I just couldn't deal with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I think all 'staged' romantic gestures have an element of show offery to them or are just well... not that romantic. I think an unexpected proposal on a wet Tuesday afternoon when you've both just been out for a walk and got soaked is more romantic than booking a trip to Paris, hinting to everyone that this is when it's going to happen, and plodding resolutely up to the top of the Eifel Tower so you can get down on one knee in front of a bunch of onlookers.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, I think all 'staged' romantic gestures have an element of show offery to them or are just well... not that romantic. I think an unexpected proposal on a wet Tuesday afternoon when you've both just been out for a walk and got soaked is more romantic than booking a trip to Paris, hinting to everyone that this is when it's going to happen, and plodding resolutely up to the top of the Eifel Tower so you can get down on one knee in front of a bunch of onlookers.
    I think getting engaged at the top of the Eiffel Tower is incredibly romantic.

Why do you assume that it's done for 'onlookers' and not because its a beautiful venue?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bunions wrote: »

Why do you assume that it's done for 'onlookers' and not because its a beautiful venue?

It's just my opinion and something I wouldn't like and wouldn't find romantic, especially with onlookers there, that's all. I find spontenaity and something special happening against a very ordinary background more romantic.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sent my wife a huge bunch of flowers and a wedding invite to her work, two weeks before our big day. She thought it was a lovely gesture, so I couldn't really care if others think it tacky, aslong as my wife liked it :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bunions wrote: »

I think this is the crux of the matter.

One person's "incredibly romantic" is another person's "unbelievably tacky". All you can do is pick up little hints as a relationship develops to gauge what the right thing to do is :)
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    my second husband came into my work, one valentines day, to "borrow" the money to have a rosebud in a vase delivered. fantastic "surprise" :rollem:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would be thrilled but no ones ever brought me flowers before so I'd be thrilled any day of the year. As previously mentioned in the thread getting them home on public transport would be a nightmare. The buses around here are bad enough as it is, manhandling a bunch of flowers on them wouldn't be fun.

never :o that's just wrong :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    my second husband came into my work, one valentines day, to "borrow" the money to have a rosebud in a vase delivered. fantastic "surprise" :rollem:

That's actually sweet. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brisky wrote: »
    I think this is the crux of the matter.

One person's "incredibly romantic" is another person's "unbelievably tacky". All you can do is pick up little hints as a relationship develops to gauge what the right thing to do is :)

yes, I don't think you should consider asking anyone to marry you if you haven't worked out which type they are. :)
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

nah, it wasn`t, it was all for show, it was the only year in eleven he bothered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really? he borrowed the money from her in order to buy her a flower... sweet? Really ? :confused::)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yes, I don't think you should consider asking anyone to marry you if you haven't worked out which type they are. :)

Especially not in the middle of a packed football ground :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really? he borrowed the money from her in order to buy her a flower... sweet? Really ? :confused::)

Well the way I was picturing it, it was. Obviously not in reality though.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    That's the thing which always strikes me tbh but then I use the tube in London. No way would flowers survive that! I think it's a pretty nice thing to happen otherwise. I have never seen anyone get them and be anything other than pleased and maybe a bit embarrassed (but in a nice way). Hopefully your partner would know if you were the kind of person who would be mortified and hate it.

It seems a bit curmudgeonly to regard it as showing off though.

Just envy, I think.:D
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its sweet but really the work place shouldnt be for that sort of thing