Options

Can you put metal into modern microwaves?

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,477
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It was briefly mentioned in a cookery programme the other week that modern microwaves no longer "arc". That is to say that metal no longer deflects the microwaves back onto the magnetron, causing sparks and probable damage.

Years ago I accidentally put something in with silver paper and it did arc.

Has the advance of technology made putting metal into them possible? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's only one way to find out. :p
  • Options
    Wolfie_SmithWolfie_Smith Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    In commercial catering ones you can, just check the book.
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A new chef at work put Baked Beans in a metal container and bunged it in the micro. It started sparking and he burnt his hand taking it back out. No, I didn't laugh. :D
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,595
    Forum Member
    No, there's nothing that's changed, or can change really - it's simple physics that causes the 'problems'.

Commercial microwaves are no different in that respect, and are basically just two complete microwave ovens in one box - which is what gives them their far greater power.

However - it's not impossible to have metal in a microwave - metal racks and turntables are commonplace. But if you put the same silver foil in, or a gold rimmed plate, it WILL arc and spark regardless of the age or type of the oven.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it is ok, the sides are made of metal aren't they?

As is my baking potato thingy.

Just don't put metal that has a thin edge or a point in
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read the booklet/paperwork which would have come along with your purchase of M/W - the safety guidelines are all there for the new user of said M/W. Don't be misled by people who haven't a clue - i.e. never owned a M/W or who found out the hard way about how to use one! (having never consulted the accompanying manual).