Options

Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the naval missions in AC 3 so looking forward to getting started on black flag just need my pro controller to hurry up and get here. Is it essential to the experience to upgrade the ship.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »
    I loved the naval missions in AC 3 so looking forward to getting started on black flag just need my pro controller to hurry up and get here. Is it essential to the experience to upgrade the ship.

It's essential to the game! You won't be able to progress without it.
  • Options
    FrankieThePandaFrankieThePanda Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Upgrade the Jackdaw. Before this game was released Ubisoft said the Jackdaw was like a second character and it turns out they weren't exaggerating. The ship is so instrumental to your survival in the game that you can't do certain missions without upgrading it. So as long as you take care of your ship you'll be fine but, fair warning: upgrading the ship requires a lot of money and cargo and how you obtain those items is through the excellent side missions - which are better than the entire campaign.

Have fun!

Thank you for the tips! I've bought it and am in Havana now just looting as much as possible is this a good plan? How soon do the side missions start? I've also heard upgrading Edward isn't important and I should just focus on the ship.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the tips! I've bought it and am in Havana now just looting as much as possible is this a good plan? How soon do the side missions start? I've also heard upgrading Edward isn't important and I should just focus on the ship.

Yep, loot as much as you possibly can; that's what I did. Obviously, the first few missions at sea will go easy on you and provide you with the instructions on how to go about getting cargo but looting is pretty much in your hands from the onset.

Regarding the last part, I would disagree. Upgrading Edward is almost as important because better weapons will help you out against tougher enemies especially when you board other ships or enter cargo warehouses where you'll be taking on 100s of enemies at a time.

What platform are you playing on btw?
  • Options
    FrankieThePandaFrankieThePanda Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, loot as much as you possibly can; that's what I did. Obviously, the first few missions at sea will go easy on you and provide you with the instructions on how to go about getting cargo but looting is pretty much in your hands from the onset.

Regarding the last part, I would disagree. Upgrading Edward is almost as important because better weapons will help you out against tougher enemies especially when you board other ships or enter cargo warehouses where you'll be taking on 100s of enemies at a time.

What platform are you playing on btw?

I've not got onto open waters yet as I'm just looting chests and doing assassin mission but when I do ill certainly loot as many ships as possible, what would be the best weapons to spend you're coins on? I don't want to waste my money on silly weapons, I'm playing on the ps4 :).
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not got onto open waters yet as I'm just looting chests and doing assassin mission but when I do ill certainly loot as many ships as possible, what would be the best weapons to spend you're coins on? I don't want to waste my money on silly weapons, I'm playing on the ps4 :).

I forget the proper name but upgrade the hull armour and main cannons first. Mortars are only really useful for forts. Rams are very secondary, I've never found much need for fire barrels. Swivels cannons would come second to the main cannons in my view. You'll also want to make sure you upgrade the crew quarters so you can have a bigger crew. This is needed when you start going up against the bigger ships.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd also advise on getting the climbing all high points as soon as you get into different areas.

As well as opening up the map they are used as fast travel points which makes it easier to move around as the game progresses.
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    My best advise would be to hunt, hunt hunt. Get your on-person gear upgraded asap.

Bezerk Darts are the best thing in this game. Use them strategically, especially on riflemen that are on high vantage points.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »
    My best advise would be to hunt, hunt hunt. Get your on-person gear upgraded asap.

Bezerk Darts are the best thing in this game. Use them strategically, especially on riflemen that are on high vantage points.

Yes, sitting in a bush whilst watching the guard you just berserk darted start shooting all his mates is pretty satisfying! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow, it must look great on the PS4! I got it on 360 so won't be able to help you with buttons but I'm sure others can.

The weapon upgrades that truly matter are the guns and pouches - the more pouches you have the more blow pipes (beserk darts, sleep darts etc) and smoke bombs you can carry which will aid you in stealth missions. As Dan27 said, hunting will get you those pouch upgrades in no time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My bloody pro controller still not arrived from amazon needs to hurry up and get here. Always loved the Assassins Creed games so literally can't wait to start this going to sit it out until it gets here.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forget the proper name but upgrade the hull armour and main cannons first. Mortars are only really useful for forts. Rams are very secondary, I've never found much need for fire barrels. Swivels cannons would come second to the main cannons in my view. You'll also want to make sure you upgrade the crew quarters so you can have a bigger crew. This is needed when you start going up against the bigger ships.

Mortars are useful in normal combat too, if you use them!

I loved this game, but never finished it becuase i went from PS3->4 and would have lost my save. Really SAD :(:(.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I loved this game, but never finished it becuase i went from PS3->4 and would have lost my save. Really SAD :(:(.

I did that with CoD Ghosts and couldn't get back into it.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I guess they can be but with moving ships you can end up wasting them a lot. You can hit a fort hard with them though given the forts don't move. :D
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow using darts is pretty good fun :) .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been playing this a lot recently and I'm on the mission where you have to trail that ship and avoid the watchtower bloody hell it's annoying . I watched a walkthrough and it made it look easy I'm gonna attempt it again tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been playing this a lot recently and I'm on the mission where you have to trail that ship and avoid the watchtower bloody hell it's annoying . I watched a walkthrough and it made it look easy I'm gonna attempt it again tomorrow.

Oh yeah, I remember that one. Very annoying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, I remember that one. Very annoying.
    Any tips ? I can't even get off the initial first bit before you disable the bell. And to my dismay and complete annoyance I saw on the walkthrough it's a stupidly long mission. Plus you can't skip the cutscene at the very beginning . Very lazy poor level design in my opinion.
  • Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any tips ? I can't even get off the initial first bit before you disable the bell. And to my dismay and complete annoyance I saw on the walkthrough it's a stupidly long mission. Plus you can't skip the cutscene at the very beginning . Very lazy poor level design in my opinion.

if your on the level im thinking of you're un a river abd have to on foot. I used sleep darts and then finished them off while they were unconscious, very boring level.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seanf wrote: »
    if your on the level im thinking of you're un a river abd have to on foot. I used sleep darts and then finished them off while they were unconscious, very boring level.
    Lol thanks man not even got to the on foot bit yet still negotiating the ship past the watch towers right now . Don't think the on foot bit will be too much of a problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol thanks man not even got to the on foot bit yet still negotiating the ship past the watch towers right now . Don't think the on foot bit will be too much of a problem.

Right in that case just take it slowly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

These levels are made harder by the sheer number of guards they have in the location. Judicious use of the sleep darts and berserk darts is the way to go.

Use berserk darts on the hefty guards with axes and the snipers in towers to cause the most carnage. It'll help thin their numbers down so you can move around easier without being spotted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These levels are made harder by the sheer number of guards they have in the location. Judicious use of the sleep darts and berserk darts is the way to go.

Use berserk darts on the hefty guards with axes and the snipers in towers to cause the most carnage. It'll help thin their numbers down so you can move around easier without being spotted.

But doesn't the berserker dark alert them, I can't remember for sure but isn't this a mission where you have to go unnoticed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seanf wrote: »
    But doesn't the berserker dark alert them, I can't remember for sure but isn't this a mission where you have to go unnoticed?

As long as you stay hidden whilst the berserk dart is doing its work then you won't get noticed.
    It makes the target go after the nearest people which will be his mates. You want to target the big guards as they won't be killed as fast and easy as others. They can sometimes take out several guards before being killed themselves.

If you manage to berserk dart a guard in a tower he'll start shooting all of his mates. He can kill each one with one shot. Sometimes other guards will go up the tower to stop him but I've seen occasions where he's pushed them off and carried on shooting. Sometimes they won't even realise the guy in the tower is the one killing them.

It's just to thin out the guard heavy areas so you can move around easier and with some you'll be able to quietly assassinate them.

Another thing with the berserk darts is the target will eventually die, after hopefully killing a few of his mates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You have to the avoid the yellow bits on your map. Make sure you use half sail so that you don't bump into things. Bumping into things will cause you to needlessly turn around while the ship gets away. I agree, it's a torturous mission but it just takes practice.