Options

Could it be said that Katy Perry is the world's biggest popstar, right now?

Comments

• Options
    ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a point I was thinking of... A lot of people have used the Gaga plays Piano argument, but when you think of it... how many of her hit singles have been heavy on the Piano? :(

On another note, someone else pointed out that this thread shows how underestimated Katy Perry is... which in a way was what I was wondering creating it. Like I said in the OP, people would be more reluctant to name her as the biggest popstar than they would have been for Gaga last year or so.
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    Just a point I was thinking of... A lot of people have used the Gaga plays Piano argument, but when you think of it... how many of her hit singles have been heavy on the Piano? :(

On another note, someone else pointed out that this thread shows how underestimated Katy Perry is... which in a way was what I was wondering creating it. Like I said in the OP, people would be more reluctant to name her as the biggest popstar than they would have been for Gaga last year or so.

I dont think it matters if she is the biggest at the moment. As Lady GaGa has found out its a quick fall from grace .
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me if we went back to 1990 you could make an argument that Paula Abdul was the biggest female popstar ahead of Janet Jackson & Madonna because her singles outperformed JJ & Her Madgesty.

But to claim Paula Abdul was the biggest popstar then ahead of her two rivals is as uncredible as claiming today that Katy Perry is the biggest popstar ahead of Rihanna & Lady Gaga.

Just like Katy Perry today, Paula Abdul was only as successful as she was because MTV & Radio loved her because she was an anodyne non offensive version of her two rivals, hence she got played to death, but unlike JJ & Madge she failed to sustain her initial popularity of her first two albums (featuring 6 USA#1 hits from 7 consecutive singles) due to a lack of artistry and substance.

Lady Gaga has clearly gambled on the David Bowie/Prince concept (in The Word magazine interview earlier this year she claimed she was aspiring for a career like those two aforementioned artists rather than a Madonna/Michael Jackson career) of being a highly controversial, divisive, wacky, artistic/pretentious marmite artist so that Radio will never love her again as much as her initial rush of popularity unless she decides to do a lowest common denominator album (Let's Dance / Diamonds & Pearls) to attract Radio & casual music buyers back.

Whilst Rihanna is clearly grinding down her opposition through being so prolific in the manner Janet Jackson & Kylie managed in the slipstream of Madonna during the late 1980s/1990s, so that she has stayed below the radar attracting a younger fan base and lack of critical acclaim/snobbery/bile; and has been helped due to the fact she is not a self contained artist so can quickly produce new albums via outside songwriters/producers.

Whilst to me Katy Perry is one of those opportunistic artists that appear throughout the history of music whom spot a bandwagon and jump on it but in a far more vanilla non offensive manner as the Zeitgeist of that movement to for a short period of time become more popular than the musical Zeitgeist, but ultimately fail to sustain a long term career as a top level pop star.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What badwagon has Katy jumped on for the most part Teenage Dream fits into teen pop/bubblegum pop which isn't the dominant genre at this present time.

And i think Katy hasmore going for her than Paula Abdul who was never really that big on an international level as Katy is you could compare her to Kylie as i can see the comaprision there.

People seem to not want to give Katy the credit she deserves and i can't grasp why she is easily equal to most and easily surpasses Rihanna for definite in all she does.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me if we went back to 1990 you could make an argument that Paula Abdul was the biggest female popstar ahead of Janet Jackson & Madonna because her singles outperformed JJ & Her Madgesty.

But to claim Paula Abdul was the biggest popstar then ahead of her two rivals is as uncredible as claiming today that Katy Perry is the biggest popstar ahead of Rihanna & Lady Gaga..

Paula was never as big as Madonna was in 1990. Madonna was at her peak here. Like A Prayer had just happened. The Blonde Ambition Tour was in full swing while Vogue was her biggest hit of her career so far and it gave the VMAs one of their most iconic performances to date. Then came The Immaculate Collection and then the epic performance of Sooner or Later at the 1991 Oscars.

I don't think Paula has ever sold anything near like Madonna did for Vogue (six million and was 1990s biggest selling single!!), Like A Prayer or Justify My Love but I could be wrong so I really don't understand your comparison there.

Madonna was at a level of fame in 1989/1990/1991 that was only second to Michael Jackson and Princess Diana. I don't think anyone has ever been as exposed as that since. It was insane.
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paula was never as big as Madonna was in 1990. Madonna was at her peak here. Like A Prayer had just happened. The Blonde Ambition Tour was in full swing while Vogue was her biggest hit of her career so far and it gave the VMAs one of their most iconic performances to date. Then came The Immaculate Collection and then the epic performance of Sooner or Later at the 1991 Oscars.

I don't think Paula has ever sold anything near like Madonna did for Vogue, Like A Prayer or Justify My Love but I could be wrong so I really don't understand your comparison there.

Madonna was at a level of fame in 1989/1990/1991 that was only second to Michael Jackson and Princess Diana. I don't think anyone has ever been as exposed as that since. It was insane.

Back for a 9 to 12 month period from mid 1989 through to early 1990 Like A Prayer was labelled by the worldwide (tabloid) media and public as a relative flop. Even though the music critics (grudgingly) loved it,

For starters Like A Prayer the album performed poorly compared to her previous two studio albums Like A Virgin & True Blue.

As wikipedia has it Like A Prayer's worldwide album total is 15 million, well short of True Blue (25 million) & Like A Virgin (21 million).

As for it's album chart run it spent:
    USA: 16 weeks in the Top 10, compared to 26 weeks for True Blue & 33 weeks for Like A Virgin.
    UK: 12 weeks in the Top 10, compared to 36 weeks for TB & 30 for LAV.

When you consider in 1989/90 in the USA Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 spent 35 weeks in the Top 10 & Paula Abdul's Forever Your Girl spent 64 weeks in the Top 10; and in the UK Kylie's first two albums spent 29 & 16 weeks in the Top 10 then Madonna was no longer the dominant album chart queen.

Likewise in the singles charts only the title track topped the charts in the UK & USA. Compared to the previous True Blue album which contained 3 UK (Papa Don't Preach, True Blue & La Isla Bonita) & 3 USA #1 (Live To Tell, PDP & Open Your Heart) hits. Meanwhile Paula Abdul mined 4 USA#1 hits from Forever Your Girl; as did Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation album. Whilst Kylie had 4 UK#1s, 5 UK#2s & a UK#4 from the first 10 singles of her career taken from her first two albums.

1989 through to early 1990 was the year Madonna suffered her first career backlash. Not only as I've explained was she eclipsed chart wise by her new younger pretenders or "Madonnabes" as they were labelled at the time; but she had a number of media controversies that seem to have been written out of history.

These included the music video for "Like a Prayer" was a lightning rod for religious controversy, using Catholic iconography such as stigmata and burning crosses, and a dream about making love to a saint, leading the Vatican (and a number of contemporary celebrities including Sylvestor Stallone; Roseanne Barr; Olivia Newton-John & Debbie Gibson as well as the usual conservative rent-a-sound-byte establishment figures) to condemn the video and causing Pepsi to cancel Madonna's sponsorship contract resulting in her planned world tour being postponed by 4/6 months due to a lack of a main sponsor/funding.

Whilst the follow up single "Express Yourself" was the most expensive music video ever made at the time. Unfortunately she was successfully sued by Fritz Lang's estate for $200K due to its visual "similarities" to his classic German classic film Metropolis (1927). Whilst the song was successfully sued for 25% of the publishing due to its similarities to the 1972 USA #12 hit "Respect Yourself" by the Staple Singers.

The 4th US single from the album "Oh Father" (my all time favourite Madonna song) became Madonna's first single since "Holiday" in 1984 not to enter the top ten in the United States, peaking at number 20 on the week of December 30, 1989. This ended her hugely impressive streak of 16 consecutive top five singles and 17 consecutive top ten singles.

It was not until her career high Blond Ambition World Tour (started April 1990), and Vogue single (out the same time), followed up by her Immaculate Collection blockbusting compilation that her legacy as a music legend was secured for all time.
  • Options
    Scarry MaryScarry Mary Posts: 74
    Forum Member

Whilst the follow up single "Express Yourself" was the most expensive music video ever made at the time. Unfortunately she was successfully sued by Fritz Lang's estate for $200K due to its visual "similarities" to his classic German classic film Metropolis (1927). Whilst the song was successfully sued for 25% of the publishing due to its similarities to the 1972 USA #12 hit "Respect Yourself" by the Staple Singers.

I've never heard about this before. You have a link? :confused: they honestly don't sound a thing like each other.

Oh and Style. I loved that Oscars performance Madonna did. I had to go watch it again on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s15GTGdUuvM

I don't know how people can say Madonna cannot sing live. She killed that.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Whilst to me Katy Perry is one of those opportunistic artists that appear throughout the history of music whom spot a bandwagon and jump on it but in a far more vanilla non offensive manner as the Zeitgeist of that movement to for a short period of time become more popular than the musical Zeitgeist, but ultimately fail to sustain a long term career as a top level pop star.

I think this description more accurately fits Lady Gaga than it does Katy Perry to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You know thinking about it. One would say that all the dramas of Madonna's controversy in 1989 is the reason Blonde Ambition was so successful. She can't have been that out of favour because the tour wouldn't have sold out otherwise would it!

I love so much that Madonna also pissed off the pope! rofl. Genius that is. Pure genius.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    I think this description more accurately fits Lady Gaga than it does Katy Perry to be honest.

Whos songs out of Lady Gaga and Katy Perry do you think will age better? some of Lady Gaga's first singles already sound a bit dated. I Kissed A Girl is still so fresh though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    I was going to mention her singles and their performance in the UK.

Born This Way the single was released on the Friday wasn't it? That obviously affected its chances of hitting #1 on the Sunday because it only had two days worth of sales. But why didn't it hit #1 the following week when it had a full weeks worth of sales? This was a brand new track from the supposed biggest pop star in the world and she couldn't move up to #1 the next week?

Her subsequent singles definitely underperformed in the UK compared to those she released prior. You can't blame lack of promotion because she actually promoted and performed on Graham Norton, Children in Need, Jonathan Ross, The X-Factor, Alan Carr, Paul O'Grady, Loose Women, etc. It's obvious the singles after BTW just didn't really make a connection in the UK like her others did. I don't think the fact that she released the first three singles from the BTW (four if you include the promo "Hair") in the space of three months really helped matters.

well it didnt get #1 week after because of the Brit Awards where there was that big Adele performance. Someone like you?

Also TEOG didnt under perform it was like the 25th best selling song last year
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Whos songs out of Lady Gaga and Katy Perry do you think will age better? some of Lady Gaga's first singles already sound a bit dated. I Kissed A Girl is still so fresh though.

really? in terms of radio i still hear poker face and just dance quite often and people jam to them. but its rare i hear IKAG
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kazozh5 wrote: »
    well it didnt get #1 week after because of the Brit Awards where there was that big Adele performance. Someone like you?

Also TEOG didnt under perform it was like the 25th best selling song last year

Wow 25 eh!!! ;)
  • Options
    SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lady Gaga is far more sucessful than Katy Perry.

Gaga has sold 23 million albums worldwide.

Katy has only sold 11 million.

Although, Katy is more of a singles artist as she has sold 75 million singles worldwide, were as Gaga has only sold 64 million.

Gaga's Monster ball tour grossed $227.4 million, were as Perry's only made $59.5 million, although Perry's had nearly half the amount of dates as Gaga's.

IMO Katy Perry is a pop-star with cathchy pop tunes, Gaga is talented singer-songwriter who loves to put on a good show. I love both of them in different ways, but there is no way Katy Perry is the biggest pop star.

They both come out at the same time in mid-2008.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Would GaGa be as big if she hadnt sucked up with the gays?
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As the previous poster says do you have any links to back this up? As a Madonna fan I've never heard these claims before and cannot find a thing to validate either Fritz Lang's estate suing Madonna or the Staple Singers suing her. There nothing at all on Wiki about it. So that suggests it just never happened.

Half the stuff Madonna is accused off appears to be myth made up by her detractors if you ask me but if you can provide any genuine evidence it happened please do but at this moment in time what you have listed never happened.
  • Options
    madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back for a 9 to 12 month period from mid 1989 through to early 1990 Like A Prayer was labelled by the worldwide (tabloid) media and public as a relative flop. Even though the music critics (grudgingly) loved it,

For starters Like A Prayer the album performed poorly compared to her previous two studio albums Like A Virgin & True Blue.

Ok 1989/1990 like a Prayer 15 million sales, Immaculate collection 30 million.

Paula Abdul 1990 Forever your girl 12 million. So like a Prayer was a flop so Paula Abdul's must have been a disaster.

Janet Jackson 1989 Rythem Nation 14 million
    Regardless of how long they stayed in the chart is irrelevant Madonna outsold them. That's because most people bought the album straight away with Madonna whereas obviously people didn't feel the need to rush out and buy Janet or Paula.
  • Options
    BoobobBoobob Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    As the previous poster says do you have any links to back this up? As a Madonna fan I've never heard these claims before and cannot find a thing to validate either Fritz Lang's estate suing Madonna or the Staple Singers suing her. There nothing at all on Wiki about it. So that suggests it just never happened.

Half the stuff Madonna is accused off appears to be myth made up by her detractors if you ask me but if you can provide any genuine evidence it happened please do but at this moment in time what you have listed never happened.

Absolutely true, I remember when the express yourself video was out, Madonna said it was a homage to the Fritz Lang movie in interviews when it was released and I have never heard of her being sued for it. I think it's a case of myth as you say and haters trying really hard to diminish her legacy.Regarding the 'respect yourself' song, it sounds nothing at all like express yourself melodically, to my ears anyway.

There is also a nut job on the net called Alishia or something who has a list of claims about Madonna, she is a total fruitcake and she has also accused many other artists of copyright infringement too etc. The fact that little monsters use her site has a legitimate source of claims of Madonna's supposed plagiarism is laughable in itself.
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CocaCLaus wrote: »
    Would GaGa be as big if she hadnt sucked up with the gays?

isnt she bisexual herself?

Besides, she only got in there first. Its a popular topic atm. gay rights and marriage etc. By getting in there first (ahead of her contemporaries) and being pro she can't be accused of copying anyone else's views or jumping on that particular bandwagon. Covering herself IMO.
    Whos songs out of Lady Gaga and Katy Perry do you think will age better? some of Lady Gaga's first singles already sound a bit dated.

Hard to say. Ballads tend to age quite well. Gaga's Poker Face should be remembered as a classic, and also Born This Way will probably become a modern classic too. Her ballads You and I and Edge of Glory should age pretty well too. As for Katy, I imagine most of her songs will age well. But she deliberately picked very radio-friendly songs to release as singles ad staggered them.

On another note, I've never felt hype or excitement over Katy Perry as I would over other singers' releases eg. Gaga, Rihanna, Beyonce. With Katy Perry you can see her doing same old similar faithful stuff, whereas the other girls are more varied.
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madiain28 wrote: »

Ok 1989/1990 like a Prayer 15 million sales, Immaculate collection 30 million.

Paula Abdul 1990 Forever your girl 12 million. So like a Prayer was a flop so Paula Abdul's must have been a disaster.

Janet Jackson 1989 Rythem Nation 14 million
    Regardless of how long they stayed in the chart is irrelevant Madonna outsold them. That's because most people bought the album straight away with Madonna whereas obviously people didn't feel the need to rush out and buy Janet or Paula.

Are these sales from the year or of the album worldwide since? I'd imagine Madonna's sales remain pretty steady and JJ's because theyre seen as such icons. I didnt even kow Paula Abdul was a singer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    isnt she bisexual herself?

Besides, she only got in there first. Its a popular topic atm. gay rights and marriage etc. By getting in there first (ahead of her contemporaries) and being pro she can't be accused of copying anyone else's views or jumping on that particular bandwagon. Covering herself IMO.

Hard to say. Ballads tend to age quite well. Gaga's Poker Face should be remembered as a classic, and also Born This Way will probably become a modern classic too. Her ballads You and I and Edge of Glory should age pretty well too. As for Katy, I imagine most of her songs will age well. But she deliberately picked very radio-friendly songs to release as singles ad staggered them.

On another note, I've never felt hype or excitement over Katy Perry as I would over other singers' releases eg. Gaga, Rihanna, Beyonce. With Katy Perry you can see her doing same old similar faithful stuff, whereas the other girls are more varied.

Gaga says alot of things though.

I agree that Katy picks the most radio friendly songs but thats just being sensible after all singles are there to sell and to sell albums.

And as for not being varied her second album is completely different in sound and feel to her first she is very versatile in my opinion.
  • Options
    robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrfenty wrote: »
    Not to come across as all Kanye but please tell me your joking putting taylor swift in the same category as Beyonce! Beyonce has been in the industry for 16 years, part of the biggest selling girl group EVER and probably the best female performer in the past 20 years, Taylor is just a harmless girl with a guitar who writes boring songs, no hate to Taylor she's kinda talented but please dont mention her in the same breath as Beyonce! And this is coming from a Rihanna stan lol

Btw it's Rihanna not Rhianna

i think taylor is crap too but she had a massive tour last year and is selling a fair amount of records compared to the others
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robo2 wrote: »
    i think taylor is crap too but she had a massive tour last year and is selling a fair amount of records compared to the others

Yes but only stateside the others are more globally reaching in terms of record sales.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO Katy Perry is a pop-star with cathchy pop tunes, Gaga is talented singer-songwriter who loves to put on a good show. I love both of them in different ways, but there is no way Katy Perry is the biggest pop star.

They both come out at the same time in mid-2008.
    If Gaga is a singer-songwriter, so is Katy. She writes all her songs, much like GaGa does. Not a lot of people seem to recognise this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    No, I would say Rihanna.

There is something about Katy...She has the face of a (pretty) christian, her style and body don't go with her face. Her music is very mediocre, she brings nothing new to the table. She tries bubblegum pop but she isn't cute enough to get away with it in the same way that Britney was or 1D are. She's apparently 27 and needs to grow up musically.