Xfm London signal strength

InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My roof aerial blew down in the recent storm so I had an installer over to sort it out. Whilst checking everything was OK we looked at the signal strengths of all the FM stations and almost all the Londonwide stations were full strength, which is 50 on my tuner.

However Xfm is only 24/50. Has it always been so weak? It does sound very poor in the car but I put that down to the audio processing rather than the signal strength. Now I'm wondering whether it's just not strong enough to cover the capital. I'm well within the published MCA.

Comments

• fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    104.9 coming in on my little Tescun on its own aerial here for me
  • vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,357
    Forum Member
    Xfm, Kiss and Smooth are all amongst the weaker ones, from personal experience of running around in various locations.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinnielo wrote: »
    Xfm, Kiss and Smooth are all amongst the weaker ones, from personal experience of running around in various locations.

Kiss and Smooth both 48/50 here - twice Xfm's strength. Capital Xtra on 96.9 is 17/50, but that's understandable.
  • OrangyOrangy Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XFM is on Magic's original frequency. Magic (then Melody) requested a move once stations were able to use the 105.0 - 107.9 portion of the FM band.

Melody felt their coverage was particularly hampered by BBC Sussex on 104.8, which was both interfering quite a bit and limiting their power and direction to the south of service on 104.9.

Capital is considered the de-facto 'London wide' coverage, even when comparing DAB coverage. Other high powered stations such as Heart & LBC boom out, but others such as Smooth, Xtra, etc are either designed to cover smaller areas or limited to prevent interference with adjacent services. E.g. Smooth on 102.2 with Southern (Heart) on 102.4.
  • OrangyOrangy Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...And this is one of the main reasons I really appreciate DAB in the car. For non nationals, It's a choice of crackle crackly FM or Heart around here. i'm on the fringe of practically everything on the Sussex/Kent/Surrey border. DAB is a bit weak in parts but still a MASSIVE improvement over FM for choice and perceived signal strength.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think XFM is also restricted to protect Radio Leicester
  • Nick_GNick_G Posts: 5,137
    Forum Member
    IIRC XFM is directed more east so it is better to the east of London. It's the weakest of the main London stations here but a friend who lives in Chelmsford tells me it's one of the strongest of the London stations for him.
  • SimonjharrissonSimonjharrisson Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BMR wrote: »
    I think XFM is also restricted to protect Radio Leicester

I don't think Radio Leicester needs much protecting, 104.9 at 8kw from Copt Oak, one of the highest points in Leicestershire means that it can be heard roughly over an 80 mile radius. One of the biggest coverage areas of any 'Local' station in the UK !!:eek:
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick_G wrote: »
    IIRC XFM is directed more east so it is better to the east of London. It's the weakest of the main London stations here but a friend who lives in Chelmsford tells me it's one of the strongest of the London stations for him.

Yes, when 104.9 was re-advertised in 1996, it was done so as a 'not quite' London wide service, because of power restrictions and potential interference owing to the Leicester and Sussex stations. It has a 17dB null towards West Sussex

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/guidance/tech-guidance/tech_parameters/
  • KnobTwiddlerKnobTwiddler Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XFM is the lowest powered of the London stations, it's 2.9kW from Crystal Palace.

Absolute is 3.73kW from Crystal Palace.

Capital, Heart and Smooth are all 4kW from Croydon, so the power difference, location and the null on XFM's signal in certain directions, probably accounts for difference in signal strengths.
  • ChelmsfordNickChelmsfordNick Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I'm not `the friend', but I also live in Chelmsford and will say that in terms of reception XFM is one of the better London stations on FM here.

I have a roof aerial (just a Maplin `U' shaped horizontal folded dipole, so not a great one) and XFM is fairly solid even if weak. 24db on my Sony tuner from the nineties (acceptable stereo, RDS) whereas Capital is lousy, doesn't register any dbs (only starts measuring at 16) and stereo / RDS only comes and goes.

Magic is second best for me (signal wise) and Smooth third.

To be fair the aerial does a respectable job on stronger stations. For example Heart Essex registers 54db and BBC Nationals from Wrotham about 45, which is very listenable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just under 10 miles north-west of Crystal Palace. Leicester is roughly 95 miles north-north-west of Crystal Palace. Would any null towards Leicester make a significant difference to the signal where I live? Looking at a map it ought to be most effective towards St John's Wood, Finchley, Edgware etc, rather than west London.

Incidentally Absolute has a far stronger signal than Xfm here - 50/50 on my tuner (whatever that means - higher than Kiss or Smooth, anyway), and the aerial installer commented that it was very strong on the device he was using to check the signal.
  • ChelmsfordNickChelmsfordNick Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Hi inkblot, Absolute on 105.8 barely registers on my tuner. Must be some directional properties to the transmitting antennas I guess as I am obviously NE of CP (29 miles I think) whereas you are NW.
  • Nick_GNick_G Posts: 5,137
    Forum Member
    Absolute is one of the better ones for me. BBC London is the strongest though.
  • KnobTwiddlerKnobTwiddler Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you look here it will show that the pattern for XFM has a null towards the West to protect Leicester. Don't click the London transmitter icon use the mouse wheel to zoom in - it will show all of the Crystal Place transmitter patterns overlaid if you click it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XFM is the lowest powered of the London stations, it's 2.9kW from Crystal Palace.

Absolute is 3.73kW from Crystal Palace.

Capital, Heart and Smooth are all 4kW from Croydon, so the power difference, location and the null on XFM's signal in certain directions, probably accounts for difference in signal strengths.

There's absolutely no proper technical assesement going on in this thread

Statements such as 17/50 on the tuner's bargraph, that's meaningless, how is the bar graph calibrated ? What absolute signal level does 50 relate to ? Unless you know that, you can't say 25/50 is 'half signal' !!!

2.9kW against 3.73kW is a difference in ERP of 1.1 dB.
    And in what particular direction ?
    Look at the Ofcom figures, there are larger differences in HRP radiation round the whole 360 degs for all transmitters
    That's insignificant against the far bumpier response your aerial will have across the band, and the local effects of feeder mismatch and standing waves from local reflections.

And as for UK Free's map, it doesn't match what the Ofcom parameters say, it's just guess work (as is so often the case on that site)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you look here it will show that the pattern for XFM has a null towards the West to protect Leicester. Don't click the London transmitter icon use the mouse wheel to zoom in - it will show all of the Crystal Place transmitter patterns overlaid if you click it.

That map shows BBC Witlshire from Marlborough on 104.9. Marlborough is 71 miles due west of Crystal Palace, and only 100W. Does anyone know whether it was taken into account when planning Xfm's coverage? Or is there some quirk of terrain that means Leicester would be more vulnerable despite being further away and on much higher power?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    There's absolutely no proper technical assesement going on in this thread

Statements such as 17/50 on the tuner's bargraph, that's meaningless, how is the bar graph calibrated ? What absolute signal level does 50 relate to ? Unless you know that, you can't say 25/50 is 'half signal' !!!

2.9kW against 3.73kW is a difference in ERP of 1.1 dB.
    And in what particular direction ?
    Look at the Ofcom figures, there are larger differences in HRP radiation round the whole 360 degs for all transmitters
    That's insignificant against the far bumpier response your aerial will have across the band, and the local effects of feeder mismatch and standing waves from local reflections.

And as for UK Free's map, it doesn't match what the Ofcom parameters say, it's just guess work (as is so often the case on that site)
    Was typing previous reply when you posted this. Quick answer: of course my tuner is not a reliable indicator of signal strength. All it displays is a number from 1-50. But I know it well enough to know that 24 is not what I would expect from a station intended to cover my area. Xfm is not strong enough for good indoor reception on a portable radio here; I tried listening on FM on a clock radio yesterday and had to fetch a DAB set because the reception was so bad, so that suggests that Xfm requires a roof aerial here, in Chisiwck, less than 10 miles from the transmitter.

One possibility is that there is something specifically affecting FM reception from Crystal Palace in this area, such as the terrain, buildings etc. We get fantastic Freeview reception on a set-top aerial but FM is significantly worse.
  • WillumWillum Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Good grief. I just looked at UK Free's coverage projection for Classic FM from Holme Moss on 101.1 FM.

http://www.ukfree.tv/radiomaps.php?frequency=101100000

Sorry, but I'm feeling seriously inclined to agree with Mark C on this one. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Was typing previous reply when you posted this. Quick answer: of course my tuner is not a reliable indicator of signal strength. All it displays is a number from 1-50. But I know it well enough to know that 24 is not what I would expect from a station intended to cover my area. Xfm is not strong enough for good indoor reception on a portable radio here; I tried listening on FM on a clock radio yesterday and had to fetch a DAB set because the reception was so bad, so that suggests that Xfm requires a roof aerial here, in Chisiwck, less than 10 miles from the transmitter.

One possibility is that there is something specifically affecting FM reception from Crystal Palace in this area, such as the terrain, buildings etc. We get fantastic Freeview reception on a set-top aerial but FM is significantly worse.

Well, (and I wish people would pay more attention to Ofcom's extensive data, rather than floss such as UK Free), the 17dB restriction towards the west for XFM is in the horizontal plane, verically it's only about 4dB. Taking a look at Smooth and Capital, they are also -4dB H and V towards the west. Other local factors must be coming in play for you.
  • moordown66moordown66 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's probably the weakest of the London wide stations in my location
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Radio Leicester needs much protecting, 104.9 at 8kw from Copt Oak, one of the highest points in Leicestershire means that it can be heard roughly over an 80 mile radius. One of the biggest coverage areas of any 'Local' station in the UK !!:eek:

Yes Radio Leicester makes rds traffic reports quite anoying around here. I'm always up to date with traffic issues in the leicester area here in shropshire, couple that with the strength of bbc cymru and it makes this part of the band a bit full..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Dont know if its the case now but when I lived in Clacton on sea 10-15 years ago I had an aerial on the roof to pick up the London stations and XFM seemed to have the weakest signal then. LBC and the old GLR were the best.
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Willum wrote: »
    Good grief. I just looked at UK Free's coverage projection for Classic FM from Holme Moss on 101.1 FM.

http://www.ukfree.tv/radiomaps.php?frequency=101100000

Sorry, but I'm feeling seriously inclined to agree with Mark C on this one. :)
    The UK Free site is a complete joke and worse than useless because its information is so inaccurate and misleading. That's in addition to the crazy maps where the colours are so similar that it's impossible to work out which contour relates to which service.

Here are a couple more absurd examples.
    • The London3 DAB mux happily covers Brighton and parts of the South Coast... :rolleyes:
    The London 3 signal doesn't cover anything like the area that's shown, for the very good reason that the South Coast mux also uses 11B.
    • The Reigate fill-in TV transmitter covers Reading, London and Southend... :rolleyes:
    UK Free should close down because it's just a public nuisance.
  • wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    Briantist is always right. Haven't you worked that out from the comments section yet? ;)