Options

Vue cinemas and Sony 4K

InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If you look up film times on the Vue web site you can apply filters, like 3D, Xtreme etc. If you apply the filter to limit films to those shown in Sony 4K the only film listed is The Hunger Games.

Is this a mistake, or does that mean that all the other films are shown in a lower definition? Or a higher definition?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Most films at the cinema are shown in 2K, 4K is a new format and not all films are available in it yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonny1973 wrote: »
    Most films at the cinema are shown in 2K, 4K is a new format and not all films are available in it yet.

Right, didn't know that. They used to show a Vue ident before the films that boasted about having 4K picture quality. I haven't seen it lately so maybe they were a bit premature in claiming it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Nearly all Vue Cinema are using Sony 4K projections, as are Cineworld and Odeon. So you're all watching these films in the same projection, whether it's a 2K or 4K film they're all being processed by the same projector.

Right now only Hunger Games is in 4K and American Hustle and Wolf of Wall Street being the next two major 4K releases.

In reality I haven't noticed the difference between 2/4K imo (and I've seen plenty of films).

We've had plenty of people asking do we have 4K projectors installed but a lot of people are under the impression means 4K is equivalent from going SD to HD, that is not the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jalal wrote: »
    Nearly all Vue Cinema are using Sony 4K projections, as are Cineworld and Odeon. So you're all watching these films in the same projection, whether it's a 2K or 4K film they're all being processed by the same projector.

Right now only Hunger Games is in 4K and American Hustle and Wolf of Wall Street being the next two major 4K releases.

In reality I haven't noticed the difference between 2/4K imo (and I've seen plenty of films).

We've had plenty of people asking do we have 4K projectors installed but a lot of people are under the impression means 4K is equivalent from going SD to HD, that is not the case.

Interesting. I'm planning to see American Hustle so will try to compare the look of the film with the other films I've seen lately. I have found the image softer and more juddery than I would have liked when watching some recent films at my local Vue.
  • Options
    rhodgreenrhodgreen Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread!
    With the forthcoming release of Spectre I've noticed some listings are 4K.
    Why not all showings if all the screens are equipped with 4K projectors?
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    rhodgreen wrote: »

Because not all screens are equipped with 4K projectors.
  • Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw Spectre at my local Vue a couple of days ago. It was on their Vue Xtreme screen, so I assume it must have been in 4K. Anyway, it looked fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    Because not all screens are equipped with 4K projectors.

Sorry, my mistake then. I thought I had read somewhere that Vue had completed their roll out of upgrading all screens nationally to digital 4K.
    I saw Spectre yesterday in 4K, I can't say there was a huge difference to other films I'd seen, it was sharp and clear, but without seeing both side by side not a fair comparison.
  • Options
    Nattie01Nattie01 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest, are they using the format as an opportunity/excuse to increase the price of tickets in those screens showing it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nattie01 wrote: »
    Out of interest, are they using the format as an opportunity/excuse to increase the price of tickets in those screens showing it?

Same price!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhodgreen wrote: »

Funny to see my old thread again. I saw Spectre in 4K at the Westfield London Vue. I've been disappointed with the picture and sound at that cinema previously but both were first rate this time, and hopefully Vue have grown out of their "turn up the volume to eleven" phase that made it so uncomfortable in the past.