Getting Valentine's flowers at work from your partner.

Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
Forum Member
Do you find it cringey, romantic, or show offy?

Personally, I'd be mortified. (If it's from a secret admirer, that's okay :))

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...is cringy and tacky.

Its right up there with a marriage proposal in front of 1000,s people.
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A girl I used to work with received some from her dad. She was known for stalking guys and was not the prettiest of people (I'm no oil painting myself but she was very unhygenic). She hinted early on in the day about her dad sending her flowers then when they arrived she denied it and tried to make us all think they were from one of her victims. Felt a bit sorry for her actually as it was so obvious.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's cringey and tacky!
  • Enid ColeslawEnid Coleslaw Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    I used to work as a florist and we'd have quite a few women who would order flowers and have them sent to themselves at work!
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    i used to deliver flowers and valentines was the busiest day normally 40 in one day

in 4 years i never found anyone was displeased all were thrilled

and normally all the other women in the office/work were happy most were very jealous

so not cringey
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to go ff topic, but absolute classic today...

My wife and I bought each other the same card :D

Back on topic, no I don't think it's tacky at all. I think it's a nice gesture and I'm sure there are some women who would still appreciate it...
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I used to work as a florist and we'd have quite a few women who would order flowers and have them sent to themselves at work!

I've often suspected that a lot of they guys who send a bouquet to the girl's workplace have received some heavy handed hints to do so. Then the girl looks all embarrassed and shocked and 'oh nooooooo. Oh Gawd, I can't belieeeeeve he did that'. Cringey.
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incredibly corny and ridiculously overpriced.
    Might as well wear a badge saying "I am stupid" or "I'm with stupid"!.....imo :)
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very cringey. Only time I would think its OK if they are sent by someone who has a crush on the woman (or man) and doesn't know their home address. Otherwise it's showing off.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a huge bouquet at work once and to this day I have no idea who sent them :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    Would seem to be showing off to me. I wouldn't do it. I gave flowers to my wife this morning, at home.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    Sorry to go ff topic, but absolute classic today...

My wife and I bought each other the same card :D

Back on topic, no I don't think its tacky at all. I think it's a nice gesture and I'm sure there are some women who would still appreciate it...

Happy Valentines to my husband?

A girl I worked with years ago had flowers sent to her at work but had no clue who they were from. She came in the nexf day and told us she had been accosted by a fellow commuter who asked if shed liked the flowers. He'd followed her from the train in the morning to see where she worked. They were addressed to Clare with the hair because she hac very distinctive hair and he'd earwigged to get her name. Reception knew who he meant.

on the day everyone thought it was a lovely mystery....
  • Enid ColeslawEnid Coleslaw Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    I've often suspected that a lot of they guys who send a bouquet to the girl's workplace have received some heavy handed hints to do so. Then the girl looks all embarrassed and shocked and 'oh nooooooo. Oh Gawd, I can't belieeeeeve he did that'. Cringey.

Yes, like I said I used to be a florist and even I find the whole thing incredibly tacky and the fact many of them had sent the bloody things themselves just makes it worse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    I always send my Valentine's flowers to my gf's workplace, unless it's the weekend. Otherwise it would be difficult for her to get them. I'd have to send them to myself otherwise, which would be... odd

I think it's quite sweet and she seems to love it, so I won't be stopping :D
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would seem to be showing off to me. I wouldn't do it. I gave flowers to my wife this morning, at home.
    I don't think it's showing-off at all.

Sender wouldn't be there to see anyway.

I think it's lovely - I know I got a huge thrill when it happened to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having to bring them home on a bus/public transport is EXCRUCIATING!

I actually hate flowers (but I'm not ungrateful to receive them). I'd much rather chocs or wine, I just don't do flowers at all.
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thistles are counted as flowers, aren't they. Just checking.
    Forum Member
    Picto wrote: »
    Thistles are counted as flowers, aren't they. Just checking.

Yes, and a Snickers bar counts as 'Chocolates'.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Having to bring them home on a bus/public transport is EXCRUCIATING!

I actually hate flowers (but I'm not ungrateful to receive them). I'd much rather chocs or wine, I just don't do flowers at all.

That's the thing which always strikes me tbh but then I use the tube in London. No way would flowers survive that! I think it's a pretty nice thing to happen otherwise. I have never seen anyone get them and be anything other than pleased and maybe a bit embarrassed (but in a nice way). Hopefully your partner would know if you were the kind of person who would be mortified and hate it.

It seems a bit curmudgeonly to regard it as showing off though.
    Forum Member
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    That's the thing which always strikes me tbh but then I use the tube in London. No way would flowers survive that! I think it's a pretty nice thing to happen otherwise. I have never seen anyone get them and be anything other than pleased and maybe a bit embarrassed (but in a nice way). Hopefully your partner would know if you were the kind of person who would be mortified and hate it.

It seems a bit curmudgeonly to regard it as showing off though.

Even if the girl has sent them to herself?
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had flowers at work from my boyfriend once, when we lived apart for a year. I was having a really terrible day - rushed off my feet at work and only got to lunch at 3:30. Got back from 'lunch' ten minutes later and a beautiful bunch had arrived - the only bright spot in a sucky day.

Plus even funnier, my a***hole boss and his wife both admired them, and the next day the boss gave me a receipt timed 11:47pm for fuel and garage-bought flowers! So a small revenge for making my life a misery that day was his wife was obviously was jealous :D
  • wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brisky wrote: »
    I always send my Valentine's flowers to my gf's workplace, unless it's the weekend. Otherwise it would be difficult for her to get them. I'd have to send them to myself otherwise, which would be... odd

I think it's quite sweet and she seems to love it, so I won't be stopping :D

Could you not physically hand them to her? You know, in person? When you meet?
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its classless and tacky
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Even if the girl has sent them to herself?
    It's unlikely that you would know that to be the case. If she made it clear that she had it would hardly be showing off, more just a bit weird.
    Forum Member
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    It's unlikely that you would know that to be the case. If she made it clear that she had it would hardly be showing off, more just a bit weird.

Let's compromise on 'weird showing off' :)