Options

Nexus 5 launcher now available for all Nexus devices

omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
Forum Member
✭✭
You can now bring the Nexus 5 look to any other Nexus device (4, 7 or 10), as Google have made it available as an optional download on the Play Store.

You'll notice bigger icons, a range of new wallpapers and some other UI tweaks. Plus, easier access to Google Now if you use that.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-3513_7-57619610/google-now-launcher-pops-up-in-play-store-for-all-nexus-devices/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.launcher

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's not the "nexus 5" launcher, it's the Google Now Launcher (previously known as the Google Experience Launcher).
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Google Now Launcher as used on the Nexus 5 is now available on all Nexus devices" might have been a more suitable thread title but was probably too long. Apologies if it caused any confusion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Google Now Launcher as used on the Nexus 5 is now available on all Nexus devices" might have been a more suitable thread title but was probably too long. Apologies if it caused any confusion.

also GPE devices too.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    it's not the "nexus 5" launcher, it's the Google Now Launcher (previously known as the Google Experience Launcher).

i think I will avoid that then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    i think I will avoid that then.

because of the name? how strange.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just put this onto my Nexus 4 and 7 and it seems to be working very well..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    because of the name? how strange.

No, not because of the name change at all. i did not even know the app existed, even with the old name, but since I don't use Google now, it is of no use to me since it is integrated with Google now, which I avoid
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, not because of the name change at all. i did not even know the app existed, even with the old name, but since I don't use Google now, it is of no use to me since it is integrated with Google now, which I avoid

You can use the launcher without Google Now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    You can use the launcher without Google Now.

I had a feeling you can use the launcher without google now, but then what is point in changing to it?

I am using Nova launcher, it is pretty good to be honest. I have tried a few and i think Nova launcher is one of the better ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a feeling you can use the launcher without google now, but then what is point in changing to it?

I am using Nova launcher, it is pretty good to be honest. I have tried a few and i think Nova launcher is one of the better ones.

I like the voice commands "ok google" for setting my alarm at night, I also like the way you can see your wallpaper while in the app drawer and through the home buttons and top bar.

I used to use Nova Launcher, mainly so I could remove and add screens as I need them but that is also possible in GEL.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I have it on my 2012 Nexus 7. The 'okay Google' thing is a bit hit and miss with me but that is probably due to my accent. Swiping to the left gives updates on web pages I've looked at now.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I've found the voice recognition pretty reliable.

Try taking like me.
  • Options
    Mick JonesMick Jones Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    The 'okay Google' thing is a bit hit and miss with me

I asked about the possibility of rain, and was answered with times for the train.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I've found the voice recognition pretty reliable.

Try taking like me.

I've found it pretty good for searching. But asking to play any music is very hit and miss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I've found it pretty good for searching. But asking to play any music is very hit and miss.

I'm the same, setting my alarm works great, playing Billy Joel does not!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I like the voice commands "ok google" for setting my alarm at night, I also like the way you can see your wallpaper while in the app drawer and through the home buttons and top bar.

I used to use Nova Launcher, mainly so I could remove and add screens as I need them but that is also possible in GEL.

Fair enough. I will stay as I am i think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I have it on my 2012 Nexus 7. The 'okay Google' thing is a bit hit and miss with me but that is probably due to my accent. Swiping to the left gives updates on web pages I've looked at now.

But you do the ok google thing without the launcher, you just go to the search screen, it seems to workish, sometimes it gets confused.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »

is there a guide anywhere of exactly what it can do?
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is there a guide anywhere of exactly what it can do?

Here is a fairly good guide but not completely exhaustive. I can get Now to do all sorts on my Nexus 5. Such fun!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here is a fairly good guide but not completely exhaustive. I can get Now to do all sorts on my Nexus 5. Such fun!

interesting thanks.

i think one of the wrinkles is the way google handles apps that can carry out basic actions. so if i ask it to play a song it waits whilst i decide if i want spotify or google music to play it. if i tell it to make a call i have to decide if i want skype or the phone to make it.

once you get all that set up it's grand.
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    interesting thanks.

i think one of the wrinkles is the way google handles apps that can carry out basic actions. so if i ask it to play a song it waits whilst i decide if i want spotify or google music to play it. if i tell it to make a call i have to decide if i want skype or the phone to make it.

once you get all that set up it's grand.

Yes, the only problem I find with it, is if I try to get it to call someone while I'm in the car. You can always guarantee I'll hit a no signal spot as I say it, so it then just doesn't work!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you do the ok google thing without the launcher, you just go to the search screen, it seems to workish, sometimes it gets confused.

It's still very early days for voice control. The technology has come a long way in recent years but it still has far to go before it becomes fully reliable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I like it on my Nexus 10.

It looks much nicer with the wallpaper behind the icons, although it took a moment or two to discover how to add extra home screens.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I found it a bit slow on my nexus 7 (2012). Still not really sure what it offers over swiping up!

getting webpage updates too now, very handy, and 'research topics' work in the uk now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I found it a bit slow on my nexus 7 (2012). Still not really sure what it offers over swiping up!

getting webpage updates too now, very handy, and 'research topics' work in the uk now!

I find having google now on effectively the left most home screen kind of more handy.

not especially so on my tablet really but definitely on my phone. i'm more inclined to use it. i take a glance whenever i have my phone out of my pocket.