The decline of the free Metro newspaper

Ted_LeeTed_Lee Posts: 197
Forum Member
For those of you who live in the big cities- not sure if you have noticed that less people bother with picking up a free copy of the metro newspaper

A few years ago people would rush to pick up a copy so they could read on their way back and forth from work

I noticed a few days ago at my local train station that people just walked past a big stack of metro papers not single person picked one up.

The reason? Everyone was glued to their mobile phones and did not bother reading yesterdays news/stories or have better ways of occupying their time. .

Still a wonder how newspapers are being sold in millions everyday. If I could afford it I would only buy the weekend papers

Comments

• sbuggsbugg Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need to pick one up on my morning commute as you can just take one of the many copies thrown around the train when you get on.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also isn't it the case that the evening standard (in London anyway ) is also free in the evenings as well so they have a choice of what papers to grab so that might account for any decline. Or people are carrying around more ereaders and Ipads and see no need for these paper copies of things.
  • Entropy_NebulaEntropy_Nebula Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sbugg wrote: »
    You don't need to pick one up on my morning commute as you can just take one of the many copies thrown around the train when you get on.

/thread.

Where I get on the train each morning all Metro's are gone by 7:30 am....
    Ted_Lee wrote: »
    For those of you who live in the big cities- not sure if you have noticed that less people bother with picking up a free copy of the metro newspaper

A few years ago people would rush to pick up a copy so they could read on their way back and forth from work

I noticed a few days ago at my local train station that people just walked past a big stack of metro papers not single person picked one up.

The reason? Everyone was glued to their mobile phones and did not bother reading yesterdays news/stories or have better ways of occupying their time. .

Still a wonder how newspapers are being sold in millions everyday. If I could afford it I would only buy the weekend papers

BiB - Why would I care about reading yesterdays stories when I can get real time news on my phone?? I do read the metro, but it's a bit trashy imo and isn't that deep with content. it's diet news.

The Evening Standard is a slightly better read but a bit too sanctimoniousness for my liking, they're constantly bashing an axe about something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    The Evening Standard as a free newspaper is still pretty good, but the Metro is rapidly turning into garbage.

There seem to be more and more "buzzfeed" style stories like "10 funniest celebrity gaffes ever". Yawn