Options

eBay Customers Urged To Change Passwords

GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27503290

Breaking on the BEEB now, Cyberattack compromised one of its Databases.

Comments

• Options
    IngenueIngenue Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All done, thanks
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just changed mine.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The US firm said the database was hacked between late February and early March"

Um...it's nearly June now. Thanks for letting us all know so soon #ebay
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heh. Freaked me out a bit, that someone might be using my account and ruining my rep now- so I try to log in to change my password, and find I can't. Uh oh, but -

Turns out eBay began deleting accounts with 30 days notice last year. I never noticed, mixed bessing I suppose. I had 100% positive feedback too.

Major headache. The mistrust levels will take a long time to erase.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a ebay account.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    "The US firm said the database was hacked between late February and early March"

Um...it's nearly June now. Thanks for letting us all know so soon #ebay

exactly what I thought.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The report says "it's believed they obtained various non-financial details about eBay users, including names, physical and email addresses and phone numbers." and it was February/March!!!:o

So they've got all that information, whats the point of changing passwords now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Must be the post of the day.

Coming on a thread about changing EBay passwords to tell everyone you havent got an account!!!
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks for keeping us updated.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pointless.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Just done mine ta.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    Pointless.

Not really, we do still have shops.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i rarely use it now anyway. I was put out of pocket cos someone claimed i hadn't sent the item when i had and ebay sided with them and sent them a full refund. After that i find it hard to want to use ebay even as just a buyer.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Did they lose paypal passwords aswell?

If not then what's the problem?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    i rarely use it now anyway. I was put out of pocket cos someone claimed i hadn't sent the item when i had and ebay sided with them and sent them a full refund. After that i find it hard to want to use ebay even as just a buyer.

I must admit I hardly use it myself, but I did buy an expensive, new, camera a couple of months ago for a couple of hundred pounds cheaper then a lot of other places. On Street View it looked like it was sent by somebody that lives in a flat in West London!! :confused: But I had no problems with it being sent to me or with using the camera.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member

You better hurry up and create one. Once you have done that, dont forget to change your password.
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Did they lose paypal passwords aswell?

If your account is compromised, lots of potential problems that could ruin your account - but worse is the amount of personal info they've acquired, d.o.b., address, email, phone number - the amount of phishing and 'social engineering' attacks to gain access to, among other things, PayPal accounts will probably mushroom after this.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Did they lose paypal passwords as well?

No.
    Although the firm also owns the PayPal money transfer service, it said that the division's data was stored separately, encrypted and that there was no evidence that it had been accessed.
    Always a possibility of accessing the password owners other sites or information. That's why ebay have put this out.

I've had my ebay account hacked into twice and on each occasion ebay knew about it before i did. They simply shut it down straight away and it wasn't until i went to log in that i found out. I was ok to use my existing username, but had to change the password.

Interestingly ebay told me they knew the source which had hacked my account and how it had been done.
  • Options
    Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    I must admit I hardly use it myself, but I did buy an expensive, new, camera a couple of months ago for a couple of hundred pounds cheaper then a lot of other places. On Street View it looked like it was sent by somebody that lives in a flat in West London!! :confused: But I had no problems with it being sent to me or with using the camera.

It may have been stolen during the Summer riots :o
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't had a warning e.mail from ebay yet, but have just changed my password.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have changed mine as heard it on the radio and have had no email from Ebay other than advertising . But as has been said this happened in Feb / March why the hell did they not tell anyone until now , if they think people will be angry they were hacked they don't seem to realise we accept people / companies can be hacked what pi**es people off more is not being told at the time
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Changed mine for safety's sake.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Will be closing both my ebay and paypal accounts.
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Done thanks
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all over the media, yet there is no mention of having to change passwords on the eBay site nor have they sent out an email notification either. Shocking way to go about business for a company of this size.