Toddler fight women spared jail

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote:
    Totally 100% agree with that. In exercising that logic, the judge failed to make another connection with those who are in prison yet do not represent a danger to anyone.

It is annoying because there are four factors to be considered when sentencing.....

1. Public interest.
    2. Prevention of recurrence
    3. A form of revenge/punishment for the victim
    4. Rehabiltation.

It seems the judge in this case has only considered number 1 and not 2,3 or 4!!!
  • Color of NightColor of Night Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How come people get locked up for dog fighting but not causing children to fight. No one really knows what went on after the camera went off as one of the older children was heard to say is it my turn now. Thank god these children are now living with there grand parents & away from these stupid cruel women. My daughter worked for social services emergency line & she used to get in an awful state at what people could do to there kids.
  • End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    julie1961 wrote:
    How come people get locked up for dog fighting but not causing children to fight. No one really knows what went on after the camera went off as one of the older children was heard to say is it my turn now. Thank god these children are now living with there grand parents & away from these stupid cruel women. My daughter worked for social services emergency line & she used to get in an awful state at what people could do to there kids.

Apparently, we're a country of animal lovers :rolleyes: :mad:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the report in the local paper

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=181429&command=displayContent&sourceNode=229968&home=yes&more_nodeId1=133174&contentPK=17150273
    After the hearing, Carol Olver was unrepentent. She said: "I think they made an issue out of nothing."
    :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So she has learned absolutely nothing.....that is not the aim of the justice system in this country I'm sure. :mad:
  • Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the women should of been locked up!

What makes me want to puke is that people get sent to prison for lesser charges.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the women should of been locked up!

What makes me want to puke is that people get sent to prison for lesser charges.

Yes like not paying speeding fines or parking tickets.....the prosecution doesn't even have to prove guilt for most RT offences - greed and money are more important than childrens welfare in the British courts.........sick :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    trickyvik wrote:
    So she has learned absolutely nothing.....that is not the aim of the justice system in this country I'm sure. :mad:
    Did you read the bit about teaching the child how to roll a magazine with the spine outwards so that when you hit someone with it, it hurts more? :(

What sort of person has even thought that through, let alone taught it to a small child? :(

It really is sickening :mad:

The grandmother who is caring for them now says the children have behaviour and communication problems and seem unhappy. I hope she is getting lots of support so she can help them to adjust.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trickyvik wrote:
    Yes like not paying speeding fines or parking tickets.....the prosecution doesn't even have to prove guilt for most RT offences - greed and money are more important than childrens welfare in the British courts.........sick :mad:

I dont think it's quite that simple. Sentencing has gradually got worse over the last 20 years for a wide range of offences, and many worthy prison cases dont end up inside. To be honest, I never expected these women to be sent down under current guidelines.

Some will argue that sentencing is harsher than 10 years ago, which only really proves just how bad is was then, because it certainly isn't justice we see now.
  • natsuki*headnatsuki*head Posts: 3,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before people start comparing cases the dog fighting bloke already had a number of convictions under him so that probably was a circumstance in why he got bird.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before people start comparing cases the dog fighting bloke already had a number of convictions under him so that probably was a circumstance in why he got bird.

You're right, there is no comparison between the two, but because they happenend the same day people are trying to make comparisons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're right, there is no comparison between the two, but because they happenend the same day people are trying to make comparisons.

No it's the fact that the man made dogs fight (the dogs were put down as being dangerous) and the women made kids fight (the kids may be affected and are still very much the children or grandchildren of the perpretrator)......who deserves protection from the perpretrator?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you read the bit about teaching the child how to roll a magazine with the spine outwards so that when you hit someone with it, it hurts more? :(

What sort of person has even thought that through, let alone taught it to a small child? :(

It really is sickening :mad:

The grandmother who is caring for them now says the children have behaviour and communication problems and seem unhappy. I hope she is getting lots of support so she can help them to adjust.

It beggars belief :mad: Honestly how the judge can say that all they deserve is a suspended sentence. they were trying to create the little monsters that everyone else is trying to prevent their kids becoming.......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trickyvik wrote:
    No it's the fact that the man made dogs fight (the dogs were put down as being dangerous) and the women made kids fight (the kids may be affected and are still very much the children or grandchildren of the perpretrator)......who deserves protection from the perpretrator?

They should all be in prison for me, and for a long time, but the two cases are very different, and shouldn't be compared.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trickyvik wrote:
    It beggars belief :mad: Honestly how the judge can say that all they deserve is a suspended sentence. they were trying to create the little monsters that everyone else is trying to prevent their kids becoming.......

Well exactly, the grandmother did the same to her children and when they became mothers they continued the cycle. Thank goodness it was stopped so maybe it won't happen to these kids when they become parents one day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with others. The two cases that have brought up here are absolutely sickening. How can anyone treat their children/foster children like this.

The 4 women should have gone to prison, no doubt about it. I wonder if their sentences will be appealed against? I've heard of people getting harsher sentences than the ones they orginially got.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well exactly, the grandmother did the same to her children and when they became mothers they continued the cycle. Thank goodness it was stopped so maybe it won't happen to these kids when they become parents one day.

The mother has learned nothing though.......she shows no remorse and says it was "something made out of nothing".....maybe in her jaded view but certainly not acceptable in mine.

This is a cycle that could've been broken with appropriate sentencing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking more of the kids not being in their charge anymore actually.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes I appreciate that but there is nothing to say she won't be in contact with them now or in the future....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The children are having contact with their mother and she has only been told that she is "unlikely" to have parental control again (this doesn't go far enough IMO).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trickyvik wrote:
    The mother has learned nothing though.......she shows no remorse and says it was "something made out of nothing".....maybe in her jaded view but certainly not acceptable in mine.

This is a cycle that could've been broken with appropriate sentencing.

Maybe they should have tried to get the mother and the aunts to testify against the grandmother - she probably treated her daughters like that when they were children.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trickyvik wrote:
    Yes I appreciate that but there is nothing to say she won't be in contact with them now or in the future....

She'll probably be given supervised access.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There is a chance she will get custody again......to me she should have to prove that she has learnt why her actions were so wrong.

I mean who would actually think that's OK :confused:
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello Tricky,

As I feel this might digress in the subject matter of this thread, there is a thread that has been started about bringing back the cane, I'll try get some thoughts down, maybe see you there, however, you say,---
    People should always put the children first......they are the future. :)

Yes Trick I agree they are indeed our future, I can't help wondering in todays climate, how that might worry people.

To use something one of my sons said recently, women and children first if it's a sinking ship, otherwise no, not always, children need to learn that the front seat isn't always for them.

See you over on the other thread. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She already is (according to the newspaper report) although I think its just with the Grandmother who has care, rather than a supervised arrangement?

I think there's every chance she will have some care of them again in the future and that she and/or her sisters will have more children.

The only thing they're not allowed to do is to work with children.