Options

Rosacea..

Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
Forum Member
✭✭✭
All I know about this is I have to avoid stress, anxiety, embarrassment, the sun (warm temperatures) and not to have boiling showers/baths.

I also moisturize every morning, have used coconut oil a while back in the evening, tried soaps which don't contain sodium laureth sulphate, taken anti-histamines before I've showered in a morning, but nothing...

I take multi-vitamins daily, Eat an orange every morning and have stopped drinking 5 - 7 nights a week, cutting it down to just 1-2.

The **** do I do!? Just accept the fact that I'm going to have blotchy skin and embrace it as if it's normal? Could it be because I'm stuck in an office for 8 hours a day which doesn't have any windows in it? I try to get out in to the daylight with the dog as much as I can, but after being cooped up in here for said 8 hours, I have zero energy to do much when I do get home.

I could start wearing make-up.. Hmmm :D Any tips you guys have found that work? Because I'm at a dead end.

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    I've had Rosacea for best part of 20 years now. At first it was horrendous and I was put on antibiotics and Rozex gel, the antibiotics were horrible so I stopped taking them and stuck to the Rozex. After a while it settled down and I managed to control it by moisturising morning and evening, and applying the gel at the same time. Now its almost completely gone, I moisturise at night and apply the Rozex as well and apart from a bit of dry skin in winter I don't have any issues.

Obviously everyone is different but keep trying different gels until you find one that works, I thought it would never go and it lead to depression and severe anxiety but I got through it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess I'll just keep plodding, I NEED to force myself to get up and get out of the house after work hours, but, being that it's only just coming light at 7am and going dark again at 6, I have very little time to do so. I'm pretty sure it's the lack of natural light, I may request an office with a window at work. My colleague had dangerously low Vitamin C levels and had to be medicated, no doubt in part to sharing an office with me. Appreciate the reply and I'm glad you got through.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guess I'll just keep plodding, I NEED to force myself to get up and get out of the house after work hours, but, being that it's only just coming light at 7am and going dark again at 6, I have very little time to do so. I'm pretty sure it's the lack of natural light, I may request an office with a window at work. My colleague had dangerously low Vitamin C levels and had to be medicated, no doubt in part to sharing an office with me. Appreciate the reply and I'm glad you got through.

Are you on medication for it?
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm sorry I'm not able to offer any advice, but what you're talking about has always been a pet peeve of mine (working all day without any natural light).
  • Options
    justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to go to your GP and he will give you something like oxytetracyline which works wonders.
  • Options
    Sarah_1971Sarah_1971 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have started using Clinique red solutions range, It is pricey but you only use a small amount and it lasts a long time and it is working for me. Its not just make up but skincare as well and the women on the counter are very helpful. Pop in to Boots and have a word with the girls there. Its not just women's stuff the do.
  • Options
    MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think lack of daylight has anything to do with it. Not from what I have read anyway. Switching between extreme temperatures are a problem and if you can avoid going from freezing cold outdoors to boiling hot central heating or baths/showers that might help. Moderate temperatures are good. It's good that you are moisturising before going out as this will help especially in the winter.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure it is not a food allergy thing ?
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    There's some useful information here http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Rosacea/Pages/Introduction.aspx from a reputable source and the first thing to do is seek a consultation with the GP to start the treatment ball rolling as it were.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »

I've had it for 3 years and my diet has varied significantly during, doubt it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah_1971 wrote: »
    I have started using Clinique red solutions range, It is pricey but you only use a small amount and it lasts a long time and it is working for me. Its not just make up but skincare as well and the women on the counter are very helpful. Pop in to Boots and have a word with the girls there. Its not just women's stuff the do.

Make-up hasn't been such a far-fetched idea :D I've not actually done it yet, but it did cross my mind, but I guess that's only temporary and risking making it worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mint wrote: »
    I don't think lack of daylight has anything to do with it. Not from what I have read anyway. Switching between extreme temperatures are a problem and if you can avoid going from freezing cold outdoors to boiling hot central heating or baths/showers that might help. Moderate temperatures are good. It's good that you are moisturising before going out as this will help especially in the winter.

Quite difficult in that I need to get 2 buses to work and with it being freezing outside to walking in to a school which basically always has the heating cranked up. I did try wrapping a scarf all around my face but I just start to overheat which seems to be the main issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zwixxx wrote: »

Rosacea is a fairly clear diagnosis.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^my bad, thought this was a self diagnosis rather than a doctor's one.
  • Options
    pmbondpmbond Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    justatech wrote: »
    You need to go to your GP and he will give you something like oxytetracyline which works wonders.

I was initially on oxytet until the dermatologist changed it to doxycycline.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suffer from this and advise you to see your doctor as there are a number of things he can try most of which make your skin peel a bit and may sting but do work. As far as I know it can't be cured but the treatment lasts quite a long time. Boots Skin Clear deep cleansing lotion rubbed in each morning using a disposable pad is a cheap way of keeping at bay for quite a while after treatment possibly because the source of the problem is bacterial. There is a lot about it on the web, I'm not convinced of the link with sunlight but there may be many variations of this problem
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I suffer from this and advise you to see your doctor as there are a number of things he can try most of which make your skin peel a bit and may sting but do work. As far as I know it can't be cured but the treatment lasts quite a long time. Boots Skin Clear deep cleansing lotion rubbed in each morning using a disposable pad is a cheap way of keeping at bay for quite a while after treatment possibly because the source of the problem is bacterial. There is a lot about it on the web, I'm not convinced of the link with sunlight but there may be many variations of this problem

I'm not convinced either, however I do have to stop using my gel when I go on holiday or go out in the sun as it causes horrendous sunburn. I also find that my skin is perfect after 2 weeks in Spain, despite lots of websites telling you to avoid sun.
  • Options
    pixiebootspixieboots Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not just warm temperature sun you should avoid, you should also be wearing a sunblock on your face every day, even at this time of year. Reapply it often too. Sunlight is a big rosacea trigger.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pixieboots wrote: »
    Its not just warm temperature sun you should avoid, you should also be wearing a sunblock on your face every day, even at this time of year. Reapply it often too. Sunlight is a big rosacea trigger.

Not in all cases. I have found it beneficial for my rosacea.
  • Options
    Sarah_1971Sarah_1971 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make-up hasn't been such a far-fetched idea :D I've not actually done it yet, but it did cross my mind, but I guess that's only temporary and risking making it worse.

Clinique isn't just make up. In their red solutions range, I use the face wash and the moisturiser and they have both had a really good effect on my skin.
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have this too and I'm now off medication after having been diagnosed by a dermatologist.

I found the only solution was a face protector cream. I use Super Sensitive Shield by Dermalogica. I absolutely swear by this - someone else on DS mentioned this to me when I was going through a terrible time. It creates a barrier between the environment and your skin plus it contains a SPF which is essential. I also use Dermalogica's Ultra calming range which both men and women can use.
    http://www.dermalogica.co.uk/uk/html/products/super-sensitive-shield-spf30-141.html

I have heard good things about Dermalex
    http://www.dermalex.co.uk/rosacea/dermalex-rosacea-2/

Boots have an airbrush colour correcting cream in green which you could use to tone down the redness. Whilst it is a make up product, I don't think there would be any reason why a bloke can't apply as you don't actually need to apply any further make up. But I recommend applying some sort of barrier first.

I hope you find a solution, it is so miserable I agree.