musicfreaks!! audiosolution for mp3s!? multimedia harddisks?!

hey all the musicfreaks out there!! (are there some here? :) )

i've been looking for a solution for my mp3s for a long time now. but i'm not sure what to buy.
i don't want to burn them all to cd so i thought about buying a multimedia-hard disk to connect to my stereo.

but it's hard to find any, and even harder to find some opinions and reviews about them...
I've found these ones:
http://www.storex.eu/storex/pages/produits/detail_produit.asp?num_produit=175&nom_produit=mpix%20457&afficher=description
and
http://memup.co.uk/MEDIADISK-MX-SERIES-Step-in-High-Definition_a46.html?PHPSESSID=da38ac8b1d5b2453898da87f4a90c90f

has anyone of you any experience with these, or another solution.
i've also looked at sonos and logitech systems, they're cool but they are also whole another dimension when it comes to paying.. :( (my student budget!!)

what i need is a
750/1000gb
with display
a decent sound
and a silend drive

any opinions or suggestions?

thank you verrrrrryyyyyy much!!!

tobi

Comments

• vanzandtfanvanzandtfan Posts: 8,897
    Forum Member
    Why is the Logitech Squeezebox out of your price range? You can pick up the classic for £150 new, cheaper if you go to ebay. You're need a PC, but you don't have to worry about silencing it or a soundcard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Why is the Logitech Squeezebox out of your price range? You can pick up the classic for £150 new, cheaper if you go to ebay. You're need a PC, but you don't have to worry about silencing it or a soundcard.

you're right. it's just that i don't want to run a computer while playing music. what i also thought about was to buy a normal external drive that plays the logitech software (which not every drive does) and connect it to the squeezebox. but external drives that do the job cost as much as the squezzebox itself does. (example ReadyNAS Duo) do you know about some cheaper ones?

the other option would be to buy a new internal drive for my old pc, a new soundcard, a new fan, and so on to make it really silent. don't know how much this would cost...
    Forum Member
    If all you are after is a cheap and cheerful solution you could purchase a second hand small-form factor PC from ebay and fit it with a new drive (Samsung are good since they are cool and quiet) and soundcard (probably best to go for USB). I got a Dell GX260 off ebay for £30 including delivery. It's a crap PC, but it does everything I need it to and it's completely quiet. It's IDE only, but other models are SATA (the GX280 I think)

I'm not a big believer in trying to make a noisy PC quiet. You don't just need to replace the CPU fan, but also the power supply (often the noisiest part of the machine) and any other fans. Before you know it you've spent more money than you would have done buying a cheap and quiet PC. Better to start with a PC that was designed to be quiet in the first palce
    Forum Member
    If all you are after is a cheap and cheerful solution you could purchase a second hand small-form factor PC from ebay and fit it with a new drive (Samsung are good since they are cool and quiet) and soundcard (probably best to go for USB). I got a Dell GX260 off ebay for £30 including delivery. It's a crap PC, but it does everything I need it to and it's completely quiet. It's IDE only, but other models are SATA (the GX280 I think)

I'm not a big believer in trying to make a noisy PC quiet. You don't just need to replace the CPU fan, but also the power supply (often the noisiest part of the machine) and any other fans. Before you know it you've spent more money than you would have done buying a cheap and quiet PC. Better to start with a PC that was designed to be quiet in the first palce

hm, sounds reasonable :) you think i should buy sth like the dell you have and put a big hard disk in it (the 1000TB i'd need)? can i put everything in there (talking about quantity)? would ide or sata be better? put in a good soundcard and then connect it to my pc monitor?
    don't know anything about soundcards. I've seen there are some for 30$ others for 80$ - i'd probably hear the difference, right?
    and you say your dell is very quiet! how comes that?!!
    sounds cool...
    Forum Member
    he he... the 1TB i'd need, obviously. not 1000TB...
    Forum Member
    lechitobi wrote: »
    hm, sounds reasonable :) you think i should buy sth like the dell you have and put a big hard disk in it (the 1000TB i'd need)? can i put everything in there (talking about quantity)? would ide or sata be better? put in a good soundcard and then connect it to my pc monitor?
    don't know anything about soundcards. I've seen there are some for 30$ others for 80$ - i'd probably hear the difference, right?
    and you say your dell is very quiet! how comes that?!!
    sounds cool...

The Dell is quiet because it's designed for an office not a home. So it's not expected to use a lot of power (which generates heat) but has to be quiet since many of them need to sit in an office, so excessive noise is a no-no. It's not suitable for anything that requires serious power (the fan will speed up, make lots of noise, and eventually overheat). But for simple low CPU intensive tasks it's practically silent. Other PCs designed for office user should also be just as good, a HP for example.

SATA is a better option if you want a large hard drive. Since such the heat handling isn't great on these kind of PCs I would recommend a cool harddrive, Samsung for example.

How good a soundcard you need really depends on how good the rest of your stereo is. Personally I would go for a USB option. The M-Audio Transit is a decent option and can be purchased cheaply on e-bay
    Forum Member
    hm, an USB option is actually what? would it be connected to the stereo by usb? for that my stereo would be to old... :(
    i would have to connect it over the analog cable. do you, by the way, know if the lengh of the cable matters, talking about sound quality and background noise (don't know how it's called in english: brawl murmur swoosh whirring signal noise?)

another option would be to connect a squeezebox classic to such a small-form factor pc, right? there the usb would matter right?

thanx for your help!!
  • victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take a look at the Apple TV it will do what you want and more with plenty of connection options. It is totally silent in operation and has a good remote operation too.

If you want to have you music in other rooms too add an Apple Airport Express and more options.
    Forum Member
    @ victorslot

i've just taken a look at it. seems to be a cool thing. it's just that it's much too small for me. the biggest one has 160GB if I got it right, while i'd need 5 times as much...

but thank you!
    Forum Member
    hey vanzandtfan!! i think i'm gonna do as you suggested to me. i've been searching and thinking about how to do for half a year now! how much wasted time!! - che palle!! :) ...it took you, to show me THE solution!!
    thank you for your help!!
  • blueacidblueacid Posts: 2,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A USB sound card would be a box that connects via USB and offers you analog connectors also.

http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/P/108668/iKEY+AUDIO+INTERFACE+iCONNEX+USB+Sound+Card

That, for instance! I'd consider maybe looking to buy a Small Form Factor (SFF) PC, perhaps a mini ITX one. Research low power processors such as the Via Epia (or similar). Many of these don't even need a fan to run. They're around 1Ghz, so don't have the grunt to do much - but they'll play pretty much any audio format under the sun!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I like the look of these small PC's. I was going to buy a Media Hardrive but this looks like a cheaper option. I want to store all my music in one place and be able to access them on my tv. Would they take the installation of window media centre? so i could have the album art flow option when browsing
    Forum Member
    hey, i've been running the Dell GX260 for a good year now. it works fine! i'm still very happy with that solution!

the only problem is that i have some distortion on some music... (haven't still understood on what kind of sound the most)
    is it because of the internal sound card of the dell?
    i'm thinking about buying an external sound card to resolve that problem.
    maybe one with a remote control like http://www.amazon.de/Creative-SoundBlaster-Surround-Soundkarte-extern/dp/B0019JDDC8/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=11052861&s=pc

any suggestions??

thank you very much!
  • rob1973rob1973 Posts: 4,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2nd hand Mac Mini will do all you need...off to ebay you go young man! ;)
    Forum Member
    rob1973 wrote: »
    2nd hand Mac Mini will do all you need...off to ebay you go young man! ;)

well well, if i were a rich man i'd maybe do so!! ;)

i'd still prefer to get just a soundcard, which would cost me a lot less...

(but u'd think the mini mac would produce a good sound?)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lechitobi wrote: »
    hey, i've been running the Dell GX260 for a good year now. it works fine! i'm still very happy with that solution!

the only problem is that i have some distortion on some music... (haven't still understood on what kind of sound the most)
    is it because of the internal sound card of the dell?
    i'm thinking about buying an external sound card to resolve that problem.
    maybe one with a remote control like http://www.amazon.de/Creative-SoundBlaster-Surround-Soundkarte-extern/dp/B0019JDDC8/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=11052861&s=pc

any suggestions??

thank you very much!
    Your distortion is probably caused by a badly recorded MP3 possibly from a badly aligned turntable, or from another analogue source simply overdriving the recording software, rather than anything else.

It might also be caused by overdriving the output from a headphone socket into the input for your speakers. Solution, turn the volume down on the PC and slightly higher on the speakers, if necessary.

A PC with an on-board soundcard and large hard drive(s) is by far the best bet. A bit like a Mars bar. A PC helps you work, rest AND play! Unlike a Mars bar, though, it can do all three simultaneously.

Buying an external soundcard solution isn't necessary.
    Forum Member
    thank you for your answer!
    i've tried to turn the volume down on the PC and have them slightly higher on the stereo as you said. but that didn't change anything. so it might be something else.
    i'm not sure about the mp3/analog source-argument. i have mp3s of all qualities and bitrates, from different sources and still haven't found out why they work differently.

you think a better internel soundcard would do? is it easy to change the soundcard in such a computer? and to find the right card? and: are you a chocolate representative?

:)
    Forum Member
    hm, i've noticed that the distortion is less on mp3s from more silent sources.
    the volume on the pc or on the stereo doesn't make any difference...
    any ideas? :confused:
    thanks!!
    Forum Member
    The Dell is quiet because it's designed for an office not a home. So it's not expected to use a lot of power (which generates heat) but has to be quiet since many of them need to sit in an office, so excessive noise is a no-no. It's not suitable for anything that requires serious power (the fan will speed up, make lots of noise, and eventually overheat). But for simple low CPU intensive tasks it's practically silent. Other PCs designed for office user should also be just as good, a HP for example.

SATA is a better option if you want a large hard drive. Since such the heat handling isn't great on these kind of PCs I would recommend a cool harddrive, Samsung for example.

How good a soundcard you need really depends on how good the rest of your stereo is. Personally I would go for a USB option. The M-Audio Transit is a decent option and can be purchased cheaply on e-bay

got some problems with the Dell GX260 you've got too (if i've understood you right). distortions on many mp3s but not on all. am trying the troubleshooting now but i guess it won't help much. any ideas?
    Forum Member
    no, didn't work. probably it isn't a driver problem right? there would be NO sound AT ALL if it were...
    hm
    italy has flown out of the world cup and my music sounds like shit. bad day, bad day...
    heeeelp!!
    ;)
    Forum Member
    i'm gonna by the Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB Soundkarte external http://www.amazon.de/Creative-SoundBlaster-Surround-Soundkarte-extern/dp/B0019JDDC8/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=11052861&s=pc

hope that'll fix it...