stretching the legs of knee high boots.....

annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
Forum Member
i just got a gorgeous pair of leather boots in a charity shop, they`re really good, butter soft, leather but too tight in the leg. i can just about squeeze past a bare calf with the zip if i mentally breathe in.

how can i stretch them, [they`re pretty much new so quite robust and uncreased still]?

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they thigh length? :blush::kitty:).
  • tbluexxtbluexx Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    This option might be a bit expensive, but seems a good idea...

www.bootband.com
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Hi annette,

I saw this on TV recently but checking it out via Google there's another way too. Both methods involve a hairdryer.

First method is using the dryer on the outside of the boots. Put thick socks on and squeeze your legs into the boots. Put the dryer on a high setting and hold it above the area you want to stretch for a couple of minutes/several minutes, keep the boots on until they cool. Peel off the socks and put the boots on again to see if it's worked. Repeat if necessary.

Second method is to play the dryer on the inside, then put the thick socks on and wear the boots until cool. This is for shoes not boots though so whether it would work for boots or not I don't know. If you can't fit your legs into the boots with socks on as in the first method, it would be worth a try I think.

For both methods the leather will be hardened, so afterwards apply some leather conditioner to restore suppleness.

There's other ways too, see this link (hairdryer is Method 4): http://www.wikihow.com/Stretch-Boots
  • Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Hi annette,

I saw this on TV recently but checking it out via Google there's another way too. Both methods involve a hairdryer.

First method is using the dryer on the outside of the boots. Put thick socks on and squeeze your legs into the boots. Put the dryer on a high setting and hold it above the area you want to stretch for a couple of minutes/several minutes, keep the boots on until they cool. Peel off the socks and put the boots on again to see if it's worked. Repeat if necessary.

Second method is to play the dryer on the inside, then put the thick socks on and wear the boots until cool. This is for shoes not boots though so whether it would work for boots or not I don't know. If you can't fit your legs into the boots with socks on as in the first method, it would be worth a try I think.

For both methods the leather will be hardened, so afterwards apply some leather conditioner to restore suppleness.

There's other ways too, see this link (hairdryer is Method 4): http://www.wikihow.com/Stretch-Boots

Like evil c I too did a bit of googling sat here in Morphine la-la-land. And found the same re hairdryers advice. Reason I'm replying though, is a Yahoo 'best answer' solution which endorsed this - also added (not sure how likely it would be in March I know..!!) *NOT* to leave them out in the sun for the same effect - because whilst logically it would work, the boot leather would fade in colour.

'Her' second piece of advice..? I dunno, but was the best answer according to yahoo, was "You can also use mink oil, use to soften leather boots"

No idea what that is, and decided to stop playing Online Detective at that point..!!

Good Luck annette - want you strutting around in those new boots, and updating us once you are :D
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Are they thigh length? :blush::kitty:).
    :D
    tbluexx wrote: »
    This option might be a bit expensive, but seems a good idea...

www.bootband.com
    that`s not so costly if it`s spread across several pairs, also if i find the right zips i could knock a version of that up myself with something "reclaimed":cool:
    Hi annette,

'Her' second piece of advice..? I dunno, but was the best answer according to yahoo, was "You can also use mink oil, use to soften leather boots"

Good Luck annette - want you strutting around in those new boots, and updating us once you are :D

scuzzi snips.

they`re these boots in almost the same condition [£6, bargain of the week :cool:]

https://www.jonesbootmaker.com/jones-bootmaker-boots-high-leg-boot-formal-2633413411

i`m reluctant to show them a hairdryer at this stage but i might try that on my daughter`s boots, thanks for that C :)

i saw a method with diluted isopropyl alcohol but it sounds a bit drying, mink oil sounds like just the thing, thank you seamus. how`s your pain now?

i can get the left one zipped up ok and the right one if i dangle my calf muscle right so i think an hour of wear in the morning every day for a week and a good oiling should do the trick, thanks everyone :).
  • Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad I'm a bloke, and beam from ear to ear every 6 months or so, when I purchase from EBay a pair of 'Yes You Are Inocuous' Blue slippers to traipse about in...don't bop me annette, I'm 'fragile' (figure that excuse will last at least 2 months :D)

No seriously, don't just go off my amateur hour search results - I know you won't so face-palm at myself..!! The pain thing is all under control - got some recent morphine madness oddness to share on that thread at a later date.

And it's good to see you posting - even if growling at leather boots. I know you'll take this in good spirit, but your ineffable charm at describing a situation..causes the most appropriate reaction extreme with me..this time laughter (so sorry) with
    i can get the left one zipped up ok and the right one if i dangle my calf muscle right

..I will hobble slowly to a place of safety..Jupiter ?...hehe. Let us know how it goes, and I will offer you an old Irish blessing here

'Well Wear, and Health to Tear"

Kinda means what it sounds like - a perfect enjoyable fit, accompanied by strong and good health as the wish to accompany it :)
  • RosebuddyRosebuddy Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Tony Hancock once said disparagingly ,

" Thigh length boots ?...........at her age "
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have a local cobbler/key cutter? They may be able to stretch them for you, I've done that in that past with sandals which I loved but were a little tight.
  • louisa320louisa320 Posts: 7,459
    Forum Member
    Hi annette,

The first method is what i did and it worked. My calves are slim as well, but the boots i bought were tiny tiny lol.
    I hope one of the methods works and the OP gets to wear them.
  • Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read about one method using ice. You fill up a suitably sized (or multiple) water tight bags with water, put them in the boots and stick them in the freezer. As the water freezes and expands its meant to stretch the boots.

That said, I didn't end up using it, and it was referring more to the actual shoe that the calfs. I'm not sure how practical it'd be or if it even works but maybe as a last resort? :blush:
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annette I just wanted to say congratulations on your stunning charity shop find. It's very satisfying. My best ever was a gorgeous fur collared cashmere coat for 8 quid. Enjoy wearing them!
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you need to liberally apply warm baby oil to your legs and thighs, and also to the inside of the boots. Then, slowly and gently, slide your legs into the boots and relax as they grip your thighs in a warm, slippery embrace. Then, lie down on the floor, and with your soft, oiled hands supporting your naked buttocks, make bicycle movements with your legs to relax the supple leather and sensuously mould it into the contours of your quivering flesh.