The Sales! What bargains did you find/get?

louloubelle1978louloubelle1978 Posts: 703
Forum Member
✭✭
What did you guys find in the Sales? Did you find the shops quiet? Get any great bargains

I went down Oxford Street yesterday looking for a dress for a special occasion and got this Karen Millen dress:
http://www.karenmillen.com/Strapless-sequin-dress/Party-Dresses/karenmillen/fcp-product/903000055376

The dress was reduced from £250 to £75 :)

I also saw the massive queues at the front of Selfridges to get in:eek:
The weird thing though, was I went down the side of Selfridges, and all the side entrances were empty and easy to get in with no queues. I told a few people who were still waiting in the front after I came out with my shopping, and they looked at me like I was mad and said they'll continue to wait in line as the front of the store had the best deals:confused:
I didn't feel right to point out that once inside they can go anywhere in the store...:o

Comments

• 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    One measly thing, a top in Evans that was supposedly £30, for a tenner, every other shop we went in( Comet,Currys and the like) didnt really have a sale, just a couple of large things like TVs and fridges, and nothing else was in the sales.

Ended up buying a few things at full price, so much for the sales!
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely nothing! Had a look round Next earlier today, and it was the same old tat that they couldn't sell earlier in the year.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    gmphmac wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing! Had a look round Next earlier today, and it was the same old tat that they couldn't sell earlier in the year.

i cant see why people rave over Next. We have an outlet store in the outskirts of Liverpool and it's the biggest pile of tat i've seen in a long time. i go in occasionally, optimistically thinking there must be at least SOMETHING i can buy but alas no. it's one big jumble sale.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did you guys find in the Sales? Did you find the shops quiet? Get any great bargains

I went down Oxford Street yesterday looking for a dress for a special occasion and got this Karen Millen dress:
    http://www.karenmillen.com/Strapless-sequin-dress/Party-Dresses/karenmillen/fcp-product/903000055376

The dress was reduced from £250 to £75 :)

I also saw the massive queues at the front of Selfridges to get in:eek:
    The weird thing though, was I went down the side of Selfridges, and all the side entrances were empty and easy to get in with no queues. I told a few people who were still waiting in the front after I came out with my shopping, and they looked at me like I was mad and said they'll continue to wait in line as the front of the store had the best deals:confused:
    I didn't feel right to point out that once inside they can go anywhere in the store...:o

That's a really nice dress! I just spent £13 in Next on a dress and jacket. There wasn't anything that really jumped out at me as amazing but I thought I might as well buy something while I was there.
  • LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING!!!

took me nearly an hr & half to get in to bluewater, then it took me another 15 mins just to get in to one shop ... so i left it & came home lol
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A portable walrus polishing kit
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Didn't go near the clothes shops this year, I've bought as much in Next throughout the year I doubt anything in the sale would excite me/be different to what I already have.

We went out looking for a bed frame, got a wooden frame reduced from £330 to £153, thought it was a bargain and we're more than happy with it :)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a look into town today and the only thing I bought was something not in a sale.

I saw a jumper which was marked "half price" but I bought it in the same shop for a cheaper price about a month ago!
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asp746 wrote: »
    i cant see why people rave over Next. We have an outlet store in the outskirts of Liverpool and it's the biggest pile of tat i've seen in a long time. i go in occasionally, optimistically thinking there must be at least SOMETHING i can buy but alas no. it's one big jumble sale.

The Next in my town is pretty big and has a wide variety of clothes compared to other stores like Burton. Their stuff always suits me.

I do think it's slightly overpriced for what it is though.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING!!!

took me nearly an hr & half to get in to bluewater, then it took me another 15 mins just to get in to one shop ... so i left it & came home lol

Isn't it like that all the time at Bluewater? I went in the Summer and it was just how you described. :)
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I bought a dvd box set of star trek shows..captain's log set...they can go for £20..mine I have for myself ages ago cost me £10 and the one I bought online on christmas day cost me £3.95..I'll be keeping it away for my oldest son as part of his christmas next year..
    my daughter is planning on doing the round of the shops this week..good luck to her I say..I'll stay at home
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    A portable walrus polishing kit

from Next?
  • LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a half price dress from Monsoon as I have at least 2 (poss 3, they have yet to set a date) weddings this year.
    I also got my mother-in-law a half price dressing gown, I bought it at full price and don't regret a penny of it. It's lovely and soft and warm.
    I also bought myself some half price pj's from M&S.

:)
  • chinchillachinchilla Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went round Milton Keynes today with M in law - Next was rubbish - yet people were queuing for ages to get in! Tried New Look but couldn't look for all the people! M in law did get us some new duvet covers (us and OH's daughter) from M and S at 60% off though :)

I've got the rest of the week off now so will probably look in Aylesbury with my mum during the week, might be a bit less crowded!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I managed to get a new Samsung camera, reduced from £189 to £89, and some Pearl Lowe dresses at half price :)
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    from Next?

M&S. Free vibrating anus brush.
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bet they don't have any left now. :(
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes me laugh when people think they are getting bargains. In the good old days when they were called new year sales people would queue all night just to get their hands on the few genuine bargains.A big store would have a colour telly for half price or a fur coat for half price. The rest would just be old stock reduced to cost price just to get rid of it. Nowadays most items are imported in bulk meaning the retailer only has to sell a small percentage to make a profit. Last year my in laws went on holiday to China and whilst there they met a businessman who was staying in their hotel. Turned out he was a rep from Hornby Trains and the factory that now makes their train sets was located just a few miles out of town. My in laws were able to visit the factory shop and purchase a train set for just a few pounds. Over here the same set would have cost £139.
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    I havent been out

I ordered two dresses from the Monsoon site sale on Xmas day

I cant stand all the pushing and shoving for stuff that no one really likes

I hit River Island last Thurs and got a ton of jewelry and handbags (really good bargins) for next year Xmas presents
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the sale stuff they put out in the likes of next and river island are specific sale items which they don't have on the shop floor the rest of year, essentially it's just a load of tat. I can't believe the crazy people that queue up from 5am in the morning for essentially rails full of crap. Mental.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just hope it wasn't a second hand one that someone had returned. They have an excellent returns policy do M&S!
  • louloubelle1978louloubelle1978 Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a really nice dress! I just spent £13 in Next on a dress and jacket. There wasn't anything that really jumped out at me as amazing but I thought I might as well buy something while I was there.

Awww thanks :)
    I've always found Next to be not that amazing for sales. There is one in Islington that looked manic today though :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to The Perfume Shop where they had Davidoff Cool Water at half-price. :) I also bought a couple of non-sale items from Waterstones too. The theme of the city centre today was 'hey, let's go to the sales with our 15 children' so because of that, I didn't stay too long but I might try again tomorrow.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a smart leather belt in Burton for £5.40 [down from £12], a pair of lounge shorts in New Look for £4 [down from £12], FCUK shower gel and deodorant in Boots for £4 [down from £8] and some smelly stuff from Lush [2 things for £8 - one was 50% off].

I saved myself a fair amount considering all I bought. These days I feel stuff should constantly cost sale prices - things are rarely worth their price tag. I mean, £12 for a pair of lounge shorts?!
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    That's a stunning dress OP!

I haven't bought anything yet, I can't face the crush. Think I'll just stick to online...