Characters you started off loving but now hate

RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Similar to the other thread, but was there any character that you developed a liking for during their debut but later ended up disliking them or even potentially hating them at a later stage.

Comments

• Emma_HenveyEmma_Henvey Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    Cameron out of Hollyoaks.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't hate her but Kat Slater is a shadow of her former self.
  • Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharon (EE)
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnny and Nancy Carter, EastEnders!

Came in as two interesting characters, and have both been completely ruined! I cringe at their storylines and scripts now, horrendous!

I never liked Lee, and I never will.
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stacey and Kat also desperately need working on.

Both are just clingy and calm, they used to he gobby and so entertaining, but they need working on!

Of course, I don't hate them though, two of the shows best characters!
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alfie was one of my all time favourite characters during his first stint.

Now I absolutely loathe him and his entire family and everything he stands for. He needs a bloody good killing.
  • Dean_FranceDean_France Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    Hollyoaks to start with...

Cameron Campbell - Why they had to turn him into a murderer is beyond me.

Sonny Valentine - Why he suddenly turned in a weirdo is beyond me,. There was no no need for it and the character had longevity in the long run. Why they made him evil so we would root for that vile Teresa McQueen is something I will never understand... is her release even legal, she still did the crime regardless of how she was captured?

Lindsey Butterfeild - Had so much potential and a lot of expectations due to her entrance but after her involvement with the awful Freddie Roscoe she has been ruined!
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Linda carter (hated her from the moment she badly reacted to johnny beig gay)
    Alfie moon (hated him from the moment he tried to keep Roxy and ronnie apart and everything after)
    Billy mitchell (because he's become pointless, dull and a personal reason with the name "billy". It's a long story though about a person with that name.
    Whitney (she was good but devolved Into te kiss of fate for new male cast)
    Phil mitchell (needs toning down and repetitive)
    Mick carter (only because he's been given unfairly ally more screen time)
    Sharon (because she has turned into Phils pet/sidekick
    Dexter (started of fine but fell apart after the kidney stuff)
    Les Coker (he was good a first but now I find him dull and his tripping off is cringeworthy)
    Mo Harris (her acting has gotten worse. It's like in her recurring phase she forgotten how to act at all)

The chararacter we a supposed to hate as that's how they are introduced I like because that is how they are supposed to be. I've rewarded to fatboy, Denise and Patrick this year also but their family unit is weird and I think it needs tidying up.
  • AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karl Munroe in Coronation Street. Why couldn't they just have left him alone and let him just be a bloke?
    I thought Karl was fated to be the next Jack the lad Duckworth, who'd spend years providing us with entertainment at his hapless schemes and shifty behaviours, but oh no, he had to have a screw loose of course and turn out to be another twisted panto villain from the show that generally hates men.

And I can remember waaay back in the day when Sophie Webster was a sweet, adorable, funny kid.
    Who would have ever guessed she turned into a sour faced pensioner in her twenties?:o
  • HendraHendra Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Sienna (HO). She's become repetitive, boring and annoying.
  • notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    AndreaMC wrote: »
    Karl Munroe in Coronation Street. Why couldn't they just have left him alone and let him just be a bloke?
    I thought Karl was fated to be the next Jack the lad Duckworth, who'd spend years providing us with entertainment at his hapless schemes and shifty behaviours, but oh no, he had to have a screw loose of course and turn out to be another twisted panto villain from the show that generally hates men.

And I can remember waaay back in the day when Sophie Webster was a sweet, adorable, funny kid.
    Who would have ever guessed she turned into a sour faced pensioner in her twenties?:o

Can't help but agree about Sophie!! Also, I don't hate her but Leanne is such a boring character now compared to the feisty, sexy & fun character she was in the mid 00's!!
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tanya branning. I adored her at the beginning but my loathing started when she buried max alive. ...
    I never want her back.
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,870
    Forum Member
    Sophie Webster
    Maxine Minniver
    Nancy Osborne - They've slowly ruined her in recent times
    Laurel Dingle - Maurel ruined her
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't help but agree about Sophie!! Also, I don't hate her but Leanne is such a boring character now compared to the feisty, sexy & fun character she was in the mid 00's!!

I know what you mean about Leanne being dumbed down but I hate how they've managed to marginalise her so much since her break up with Peter, even though she is the most talented actress on the show. She doesn't have to resort to any tricks to show the character's vulnerable side, and she can manage to not look as if she's acting unlike so many of the others, which makes a real actor
    Wish they would give her some decent material and she needs more friends.

Sadly Sophie is in for the long haul methinks.
    She couldn't do anything else, she's so institutionalised. She'll eventually be the new Emily Bishop, the new butch Emily Bishop lol
  • ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robert Sugden - recast, which I will always hate. The recast will never be the character (unless the character didn't make an impact - such as a child actor, or someone only around for a few episodes). Robert made a huge impact on the show, so replacing him with a new head will never work, for me.

Lauren Branning - see above.
    Peter Beale - see above.
    Lucy Beale - see above.
    Ben Mitchell - see above. I just can't accept any of them in their roles. They're a farce.

Cain Dingle - Moira happened. He's completely lost his spark since his affair began with her. I know they've tried to bring out another side to the character since he's been with her, and that's all well and good, I like character development, but they've taken him too far. He's very irritating to watch now.

Moira Dingle - the affair ruined her character completely. She'll never come back from it, for me. Her history was changed completely for a couple of stupid storylines >:(

Alicia Gallagher - David brings her down. Separate them, please. In fact, just axe David.

Ruby Haswell - always liked her, but walking out on Ali after the affair reveal made me like her even more. Now that she's gone running back, I can't be bothered with her. What a let down. I thought we were going to see a strong, independent woman taking charge and not letting their partner walk all over them for once. Instead, she cries about how her partner is her entire life... just like every other woman on the show with the exception of Queen Charity. Pathetic.
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Yes, John Paul McQueen! I thought he was great for his first year with Craig, absolutely loved him. A bit iffy after that, though I constantly defended him. And then from the moment he came back, he just seemed like a smug insincere patronising tosspot. I honestly have NO idea what I ever saw in him. Took me a while for it to sink it, but once I knew I hated him, I *really* hated him. >:(

Oof, that felt good. :cool::D

Doug was also pretty good until they turned him into a whiny clingy insecure and instantly gay bore.

Can't think of anyone on any other soap, but Hollyoaks sure does have a strong track record in completely trashing its characters.
  • callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I found Karl's transformation completely pathetic. Rob also seemed like a laid back bloke (although he was crooked at times), but nope Corrie couldn't help themselves and transform him into another predictable killer. I swear if Mike Baldwin, Ray Langton or Len Fairclough were created now they would either turn into complete wimps or end up killing someone.
  • notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    I know what you mean about Leanne being dumbed down but I hate how they've managed to marginalise her so much since her break up with Peter, even though she is the most talented actress on the show. She doesn't have to resort to any tricks to show the character's vulnerable side, and she can manage to not look as if she's acting unlike so many of the others, which makes a real actor
    Wish they would give her some decent material and she needs more friends.

Sadly Sophie is in for the long haul methinks.
    She couldn't do anything else, she's so institutionalised. She'll eventually be the new Emily Bishop, the new butch Emily Bishop lol

Don't know if you agree Andrea but I would dearly love Georgia Taylor to reprise her role as Toyah!! Leanne needs a 'reason to be' at the moment & I think with those two actresses together we could make Corrie something to look forward to again!! I believe it could be a possibility as Georgia still has two real life friends on the show In JennieMcAlpine & Samia Ghadie & I'm sure I read somewhere she's still in touch with Jane as well! What do you think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if you agree Andrea but I would dearly love Georgia Taylor to reprise her role as Toyah!! Leanne needs a 'reason to be' at the moment & I think with those two actresses together we could make Corrie something to look forward to again!! I believe it could be a possibility as Georgia still has two real life friends on the show In JennieMcAlpine & Samia Ghadie & I'm sure I read somewhere she's still in touch with Jane as well! What do you think?

I soooo agree with you, in fact I was saying this on Jane's appreciation thread a while ago.
    And Jane Danson has said that she'd love to have her sister back too. Of course they must still be big friends in real life. Leanne needs either Toyah preferably or her real mum, Jan back to talk sense to her and mess about with. She's just gotta be that same troublemaking imp on the inside. Would you not love to see her and Toyah winding up that old bag Kal's ma or acting up in the Rovers singing karaoke? and taking the piss out of Steve and Lloyd? I would. I don't know if Georgia will be coming back soon though, she maybe realises like a lot of actors seem to be doing lately, that Corrie is beneath them:(
    But would be lovely to be wrong;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alfie Moon has gone right down in my estimations. He used to be so nice but when with Roxy he started being horrible.
    Also used to like Shirley Carter but she annoyed me with the fawning over Phil. Maybe I might like her again once she comes back, if she's got over him properly.
    Don't hate them though - just gone off them
  • trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    I used to love Kat from EE. Used to find her really entertaining, but they've made her too clingy recently. I really miss the old Kat.

Also, wish they did not make Rob into Tina's killer off of Corrie. I think the character had some nice potential.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found Karl's transformation completely pathetic. Rob also seemed like a laid back bloke (although he was crooked at times), but nope Corrie couldn't help themselves and transform him into another predictable killer. I swear if Mike Baldwin, Ray Langton or Len Fairclough were created now they would either turn into complete wimps or end up killing someone.

Don't know how I missed this post, sorry. And I would have added Rob if I'd thought of him. I think I got so used to the idea Rob was leaving and had served the singular purpose the writers intended for him that I could forget him already lol. Total waste of what could have been a solid and reliable character with plenty of surprises up his sleeves. I wasn't impressed with Rob to begin with but he was a grower. I'm sure a lot of people won't agree but I think it might have something to do with the gay or feminist agenda. it's like every man has to be feminised or emasculated for some reason and any that are unfortunate enough to possess masculine traits have to be violent and bloodthirsry. Len Fairclough would be wearing an apron doing the dishes I think. And Mike would be strangling Ivy Tilsley in the factory with the sewing machine cord, it's pathetic
  • Cosmic GiftedCosmic Gifted Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alfie, sharon, Kat (to a lesser extent).
  • Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I initially liked Yusef Khan when he first came in but went off him very quickly when he was violent towards Zainab, though he did redeem himself somewhat by running into a burning building to save his daughter.

I initially found the Lynsey/Dr Browning situation on Hollyoaks interesting because I saw how it happened and how it was heat of the moment rather than planned, and when Browning confessed to Mercedes I tried to understand but when he reacted badly to the stalking, shot Myra etc I began to hate him.

Karl in Corrie became very pathetic by the end but I still didn't hate him.

I wasn't impressed when Alfie was out of order with the Masoods but I still don't hate him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Cameron out of Hollyoaks