Moving home

We are due to move home on the 30th so proceeded to call Sky to sort everything out. Got to the point of giving the new house details to be told there is no phoneline in the property and it would cost us £120 to install a new line. I knew that i had seen one whilst we had been in the property and rang BT to question this. BT did some checks and were able to tell me that there was infact a phoneline in the property and there was a chance that it has been taken over by another phone provider. They then told me it would cost £120 to take back the line :eek:

This price seems incredibly costly for something that probably costs them next to nothing. We are stuck in a 12 month contract (fairly new) for Sky Talk and are in a new 12 month contract with our internet from BT. We do not want to have to pay £120 for a phoneline that is already in the property and if we dont we are then breaking our contracts with BT and Sky. I feel as though i am really stuck here and what i am asking is if the £120 cost can be avoided in anyway as we really dont have that kind of money to throw away at this time of year :cry:

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Comments

• babinabababinaba Posts: 5,441
    Forum Member
    I've had this before - but I think I got it for cheaper by taking a certain package for 12 months - just call them back and ask for it to be set up and say that last time you called the person you spoke to mentioned that it was for £60something etc etc and see what they say - they also let me pay by increasing my monthly payments so didn't have to pay a lump sum
  • HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    BT company representative on the MSE forum said a while back that them 're-taking' over the line from another operator (e.g. Talk Talk) is known as RTD (Return To Donor) and is usually free of charge.

You would, however, have to agree to a 12 month contract for line rental if you had a BT line but, as you'd need that for your BT Total Broadband anyway, that probably wouldn't be an issue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if the line is with someone like talk-talk on their LLU then to convert it back to a standard BT Line would cost £120, I would rather weigh up the options and see whether its worth continuing with Sky Talk (Unless the OP needs it for Broadband of course)

Other option would be to go to someone like the Post Office who charge less than BT for a New Line (think its about £108) but they dont tie you into a contract