Options

Have you/do you wear a wig?

Stephen_MillerStephen_Miller Posts: 192
Forum Member
I'll cut a long story short ,

but ever since I can remember, my hair has always been crap. Both sides of my family have incredibly fine hair and I did not disappoint when I inherited it too! Started around 17/18. I'm not bald or anything, but my hair is very fine so it's literally impossible to style. The only thing I have found is if I have it cut super short and perhaps use some hair fibres to give it a boost in volume, even then I only have this style for convenience, because I can't really do anything else.

I have seriously been contemplating buying a wig! Not to wear ALL the time but just at times if I wanna feel or look better. And obviously a human hair style one, not a fancy dress one :D

Also, what kinda disheartened me was I mentioned it to my mum and she burst out laughing say that I'd basically look tragic and "what would others think". I was like oh gawd who cares BUT tbh I don't really want people to look and be like " are you wearing a wig" either.

My dilemma

Comments

• Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    No but I started wearing hats and caps...not so much to hide my hair loss but more to avoid inflicting my shiny head on the world.
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once went out with a girl who wore a wig. Didn't know until about 3 dates in when we went to bed for the first time and she removed it. Would never had known.
    She had alopecia. Bit of a shock but didn't change my opinion of her. Lovely girl.
  • Options
    acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I started losing my hair then i'd just shave my head size 1 all over.

I can understand why a woman might want to wear a wig, but a man? Those comb overs are just horrendous lol
  • Options
    Duke-of-URLDuke-of-URL Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Don't do it. Just accept it and shave it off. Bald can be pretty attractive to women, and it will certainly look better than attempts to hide wispy, thinning hair with wigs, toupees and comb overs.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does wearing one as part of cosplay count?
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather a baldy than a wiggy any day.
  • Options
    DSCarterDSCarter Posts: 1,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never seen a convincing wig.
    No-one will stare at you if you have fine hair or are going bald.
    Lots will stare if you wear a wig...it's hard not to.
  • Options
    Robin TrippRobin Tripp Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    If you want to be laughed at, and and never have a girlfriend go for it!
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a male with the 'baboons bum' bald patch, I took to shaving my head (I hate the Monk look).

I would never wear a wig, I don't believe they are that convincing and often look plain stupid. However, if I was bothered, I would consider a transplant, which look better than they did in the early days.

Personally, I like my shaved look.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wore one to a trans-pride festival. It lead to a 'wardrobe malfunction'.

Im just gonna use what I've got this years....
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where my sister and her boyfriend live in Finsbury park there are a lot of wig shops. Must be a lot of bald men and women that live around there
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I had a wig when I had chemo - hated it - itchy, hot and even though it was reasonable, it didn't look like my hair, so it went in the drawer and I wore bandanas or went nakey-bald!!!

I found being bald quite liberating - saved so much time when getting ready to go out!!! :D
  • Options
    SammmymackSammmymack Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where my sister and her boyfriend live in Finsbury park there are a lot of wig shops. Must be a lot of bald men and women that live around there

The female wigs are sold to the hasidic Jews thereabouts
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DSCarter wrote: »
    I've never seen a convincing wig.

But if you had, you wouldn't know.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopsim wrote: »
    Once went out with a girl who wore a wig. Didn't know until about 3 dates in when we went to bed for the first time and she removed it. Would never had known.
    She had alopecia. Bit of a shock but didn't change my opinion of her. Lovely girl.

Presumably, you were at the point where you didn't give a sh*t what she had on her head.
    :D
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have never worn one but I would if Mrs SULLA asked me to
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sammmymack wrote: »
    The female wigs are sold to the hasidic Jews thereabouts

"Dave we've run out of Tina Turner wigs, the hasidic jews bought them all"
  • Options
    Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind a long haired wig as I've got shoulder length hair cut in a Bob which is nice most of the time, but I sometimes miss having longer hair and putting it up, French platts and ponytails. It would be nice to ring the changes occasionally without going through the hassle of growing my hair again.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,170
    Forum Member
    But if you had, you wouldn't know.

Well exactly, I know a few people (women admittedly) who wear very authentic looking wigs.

Wigs are not always a bad thing, they can be very useful in helping to grow out your natural hair
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    I had a wig when I had chemo - hated it - itchy, hot and even though it was reasonable, it didn't look like my hair, so it went in the drawer and I wore bandanas or went nakey-bald!!!

I found being bald quite liberating - saved so much time when getting ready to go out!!! :D
    >>>

My OH is also undergoing chemo and although obtaining a wig - which I think looks undetectable and natural, has worn it just once for same reasons above.

• Options
    Stephen_MillerStephen_Miller Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Well I've just ordered a realistic Marilyn style wig that is very discreet, no one will know

Pics to follow
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is an abomination for a man to wear a wig. I think that's in Leviticus.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaddler wrote: »
    It is an abomination for a man to wear a wig. I think that's in Leviticus.

What isn't an 'abomination' in Leviticus..... With the obvious exceptions, most people don't care.....
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've just ordered a realistic Marilyn style wig that is very discreet, no one will know

Pics to follow

Like this -- http://www.projectrevolver.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Marilyn-marilyn-manson-32389012-1280-800.jpg

or like this

http://www.rantchic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Marilyn-Monroe-pics6.jpg