Netflix is Coming

Comments

• wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boxx wrote: »
    Do the manual DNS server fields reset when you click obtain automatically? Thinking you could leave the IP in the box and just hit the auto button for UK stuff.

As my Sky Netgear router ignores the Address reservations I have to set the IP's Statically on my devices which removes the ability to choose Obtain Automatically. Otherwise that would maybe work
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    How does this compare to Hotspot Shield (VPN rather than DNS solution) which I have used before (for free) on a PC? I see that HS now also have an iPad App (but this is about £0.99/month)

Unblock.us is much better in my experience than going through a VPN. A VPN will almost always see you take a noticeable hit in speed so much so that on my connection I couldn't get HD on all but one of the VPN's I tried (and the one I could struggled) so streaming the same content from the US and UK would see a noticeable performance difference.

Using unblock.us and their DNS method HD is no problem and quality between US version using it and UK version is identical.

Obviously using a VPN also brings other benefits that the DNS method doesn't but if you just want to view videos on one of the geolocked sites that they support it seems the best option by far
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Im paying for unblockUS now. I couldnt find a free alternative.
    It only works out at about £3ish a month.
    Just curious now! If unblockUS is purely a DNS server cannot the same effect be created for free by defining netflix.com (as an example) manually in local IP address files?????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just curious now! If unblockUS is purely a DNS server cannot the same effect be created for free by defining netflix.com (as an example) manually in local IP address files?????

ive no idea, sorry.
    i juse used unblockUS because thats what was recommended on here.
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did it on my Wii and my ps3 and they are still working fine.

Don't know about pc.
  • daleski75daleski75 Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately it's not as easy as that as unblock-us also does geo-blocking as well so they cannot work out that you reside from outside of the USA.

I paid for a year in advance on unblock-us and a free for now alternative is playmo.tv
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kyresa wrote: »
    Did it on my Wii and my ps3 and they are still working fine.

Don't know about pc.

Do you mean you simply specified the Unblock-US DNS in your Wii & PS3 settings?

I believe BKM was asking whether you can avoid Unblock-US completely by manually defining the US IP address(es) for Netflix.com in the hosts file on the computer.

As daleski75 said, it's not that simple.

A name server (DNS) takes a domain name (e.g. netflix.com) and translates it to the actual IP address. So, when you visit Netflix.com, your normal DNS translates that to the actual IP address for Netflix.com.

If all you needed for US Netflix was the IP address of US Netflix itself, you could specify it in the hosts file, avoiding the need (on a computer) for an alternate DNS like Unblock-US.

But it's not as simple as that. It isn't a case of accessing US Netflix, it's a case of making Netflix think you are in the US.

I believe Unblock-US works by routing you to Netflix.com via a US-based proxy of some sort. Instead of sending you straight to Netflix, it sends you in a way which makes it look like you are in the US.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone got that link to the site that lists all the content on netflix uk?
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Anyone else slightly disappointed by the lack of new content recently? I thought they would be adding stuff more regularly. Every time someone asks on Twitter they get the usual "we'll continue to add new titles over time" response but so far there doesn't seem to be much evidence of this, despite them promising a raft of new TV content a few weeks ago which didn't materialise, except for It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia which they specifically stated would be coming.

That said, there's still plenty of the existing content that I want to watch, so I'm not stuck for things to see yet. But I think if they want to retain subscribers they will need to up their game fast. The next month could be crucial as most trials will have come to an end and once the billing starts if content doesn't improve there could be a fair few cancellations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Anyone else slightly disappointed by the lack of new content recently? I thought they would be adding stuff more regularly. Every time someone asks on Twitter they get the usual "we'll continue to add new titles over time" response but so far there doesn't seem to be much evidence of this, despite them promising a raft of new TV content a few weeks ago which didn't materialise, except for It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia which they specifically stated would be coming.

That said, there's still plenty of the existing content that I want to watch, so I'm not stuck for things to see yet. But I think if they want to retain subscribers they will need to up their game fast. The next month could be crucial as most trials will have come to an end and once the billing starts if content doesn't improve there could be a fair few cancellations.

agreed, my first bill appeared on the CC bill and the wife said..but we haven't watched any yet...couldn't argue...will give a couple of more weeks and then decide...but i need to see more...
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Anyone else slightly disappointed by the lack of new content recently? I thought they would be adding stuff more regularly. Every time someone asks on Twitter they get the usual "we'll continue to add new titles over time" response but so far there doesn't seem to be much evidence of this,
    I've seen plenty of new stuff, but at the moment I've not got time to watch everything I want to watch now as at the moment I'm making my way through 24, It's Always Sunny in Philedelphia, Firelfly, Faulty Towers and a couple of other things I'm also watching on the US stream.
    There's still other stuff I intend on watching providing its still available when I've seen what I'm already watching and by that time there's bound to be more stuff available.
  • RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've just cancelled due to the lack of new content. I expected them to maybe start adding a lot more once the first month was out the way but there have only been a few more titles added from what I can see. I did rate films and filled out my likes and dislikes etc. so that they could recommend me more titles but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Saying that, I've been incredibly impressed with the quality of the streaming and ease of the service. I'll definitely head back in a few months to see how much more content has been added.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been using Netflix for a week now. No new material added since I began my trial. Will see out the month, and cancel before they start billing me. Unless of course they dramatically add some more movies. Even the television shows they have are pretty old. Movies, many of which are what you will find in the bargain bin at Asda. Very poor. Seen a couple of movies, but there just isn't enough by way of choice for the subscriber.

May try out love film next.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    I am really impressed with the service. £5.99 a month? Seriously that is very little for what is on offer. Loads of TV stuff that I can watch (working through Coupling at the moment), the kids love what is on offer. Devastated to see 52 episodes of The Super Mario Show available. I may have to hide that one for fear of losing the telly for a whole day. The films? Well there are some good ones on there, not the latest but hey, it is £5.99 a month. I chucked sky a while ago and have more than enough to watch with freeview, iplayer and netflix.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    I've been using Netflix for a week now. No new material added since I began my trial. Will see out the month, and cancel before they start billing me. Unless of course they dramatically add some more movies. Even the television shows they have are pretty old. Movies, many of which are what you will find in the bargain bin at Asda. Very poor. Seen a couple of movies, but there just isn't enough by way of choice for the subscriber.

May try out love film next.
    How dare you lie, they've been adding a season of some crummy programme every week.

So yeah, not impressed with new additions so far. It is a catch-22 though I'm sure. Content providers will not want to commit if there's not the subscriber base and they won't get the base without the big movies and TV shows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    For those who are searching an alternative, we offer a free plan as well as premium plan @ UnoTelly.

Not promoting here but just helping since some member asked about free alternatives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im into the second month of using netflix now.

it has got a good selection, the problem is ive seen most of the good stuff :/

so im left with the dregs so to speak

im going to give it to the end of this month and if they havent sorted themselves out ill probably cancel

i mean they could quite easily shove a load of classics shows on that noone else is showing and ild be as happy as a pig in muck

like cheers, taxi, park and recreation, community, buffy, west wing, oz, the wire, 3rd rock from the sun, arrested devlopment,
  • RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im into the second month of using netflix now.

it has got a good selection, the problem is ive seen most of the good stuff :/

so im left with the dregs so to speak

im going to give it to the end of this month and if they havent sorted themselves out ill probably cancel

i mean they could quite easily shove a load of classics shows on that noone else is showing and ild be as happy as a pig in muck

like cheers, taxi, park and recreation, community, buffy, west wing, oz, the wire, 3rd rock from the sun, arrested devlopment,

I made the mistake of watching everything I wanted to during my free trial so wasn't left with very much when it had finished.

Btw, Parks and Recreation is awesome. You can watch it here http://www.1channel.ch/watch-10728-Parks-and-Recreation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member

Would like to see the others on Netflix too, but the whole of Arrested Development is already there, in HD as well :)
  • daleski75daleski75 Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I made the mistake of watching everything I wanted to during my free trial so wasn't left with very much when it had finished.

Btw, Parks and Recreation is awesome. You can watch it here http://www.1channel.ch/watch-10728-Parks-and-Recreation.

Don't promote illegal sites or you'll probably get banned ;)

Back on topic still using unblock-us and working great and still waiting for the UK side to add more decent content.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Parks and Rec is on US Netflix.
  • DensinoDensino Posts: 3,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey guys
    Is there anyway of using Netflixusa on xbox360??
  • DensinoDensino Posts: 3,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I figured it out!! :)

If anyone wants to know...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHVtQEsWuDw
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup. That video tells you how to use Unblock-US.

Officially you have to pay ($4.99/month after a one week trial), however people have apparently found that (at the moment at least) it still works on a 360, PS3, etc. etc. without actually paying. It only seems to block non-customers from using it via a PC, not via a console etc.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's admittedly quite tempting if unblock-us would still work on my Sony BDP-S370 BluRay player for free ..

I'd certainly consider US Netflix if that was the case