Options

Live Monty Python Show on Gold

Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
Forum Member
According the the new What Satellite & Digital TV mag, Gold are transmitting the last of the Monty Python shows from the O2 live on July 20th.
What intrigued me was at the end of the article it says "July 20, Gold (+HD)."
Last time I looked there was no HD version of Gold, so is this wrong?
It would be a great shame not to be able to see this in HD of course, but if it's on Gold I don't see how it can be unless they're doing some sort of temporary red button feed.
:)

Comments

• Options
    DJ JimmyDJ Jimmy Posts: 7,166
    Forum Member
    I think it is wrong. But presumably it is being filmed in HD, so it could be potentially repeated on Dave or Watch at a later date. (maybe even GOLD if it ever gets a HD simulcast)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It will certainly be being filmed in HD for a Blu-ray release if nothing else, but what a pity if the live broadcast isn't actually available anywhere in HD!
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling Gold might be taking on a brand refresh at the event, the promos seem to feature a new golden ticket like logo, I mean it's probably just for the advert but it looks way better than they've got now!
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are GOLD gonna be cutting away for adverts or will it be advert free for a couple of hours
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    According to Digiguide, it is on Gold on 20th July and repeated on 22nd and 25th. No mention of HD though.

There is an interval in the middle of the live show, so perhaps Gold will put there adverts there.
  • Options
    KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bengunn wrote: »
    According to Digiguide, it is on Gold on 20th July and repeated on 22nd and 25th. No mention of HD though.

There is an interval in the middle of the live show, so perhaps Gold will put there adverts there.

I imagine although it is "live" it will be on some sort of delay (like they do for Big Brother live evictions, and other live events), and adverts will be placed between some sketches and it will catch up a bit during the interval as they won't be able to just show it all live then have 15-20 mins of adverts during the interval.
  • Options
    Gavin_DGavin_D Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monty Python live is as follows

Doors open 6pm
    Monty Python Live Act 1, 7.30pm
    Interval 8.30pm
    Monty Python Live Act 2, 8.50pm

Gold's coverage begins at 7pm with Monty Python Live: Backstage
  • Options
    Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    The lack of HD is a glaring omission
    and something which is extremely disappointing.

Why is this on GOLD???

Has anyone contacted UKTV on Twitter or Facebook
    or a direct email to their customer services?

Maybe HD rights are for Blu ray release only?? Just a prediction.

Oh well blurry vision it is!!!! Thanks UKTV
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »

Why is this on GOLD???

Alright, chill.
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KesterK wrote: »
    I imagine although it is "live" it will be on some sort of delay (like they do for Big Brother live evictions, and other live events), and adverts will be placed between some sketches and it will catch up a bit during the interval as they won't be able to just show it all live then have 15-20 mins of adverts during the interval.

The EPG reads "Monty Python Live (Mostly) ....."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The EPG reads "Monty Python Live (Mostly) ....."
    That's what all the live O2 shows are actually called of course, nothing to do with the TV coverage.
    I assume it's a black joke relating to the fact that Graham Chapman is no longer with us.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Emailed them. Will see what their reply is.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Alright, chill.

he does have a point though! I'm guessing up till recently hardly any new content gets shown on Gold so they thought they would skimp and leave the channel in SD.
    Problem is they are now showing high value new content like this which is made in HD and should be shown in HD.
    This is really showing how behind they have let this channel slip!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Emailed them. Will see what their reply is.

what about? The lack of HD? If so I would very much like to see what they say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    what about? The lack of HD? If so I would very much like to see what they say.

Always worth an ask is it not?!
  • Options
    ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm more intrigued to see how they get around the liberal use of the C-word in one of the songs pre-watershed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm more intrigued to see how they get around the liberal use of the C-word in one of the songs pre-watershed.

More than likely will be broadcast on a 5 minute delay as if they were not to and someone slipped out a few sweary words, OFCOM would have them to hell and back as it would be very preventable.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »

Why is this on GOLD???

he does have a point though! I'm guessing up till recently hardly any new content gets shown on Gold so they thought they would skimp and leave the channel in SD.
    Problem is they are now showing high value new content like this which is made in HD and should be shown in HD.

Don't congratulate them for getting this for us viewers so quickly, especially those that couldn't get tickets, complain it's not how you want it!!

If i was GOLD, i would just cancel it and say sod you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Always worth an ask is it not?!

Yes your right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't congratulate them for getting this for us viewers so quickly, especially those that couldn't get tickets, complain it's not how you want it!!

If i was GOLD, i would just cancel it and say sod you.

Gold is also in 544*576 I believe as well which doesnt help, well certainly thats what people have said on here before now, so even 720*576 would be an improvement, but Gold is an SD channel surrounded by HD channels (if you have the HD swap) so it really shows up.

Yes its good that they are showing this at all, but as its made in HD you expect it to be shown in HD these days, after all to have Gold you have to pay a subscription of some kind, its not like its a free channel!
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,949
    Forum Member

Trouble is they don't have very much "high value new content in HD". Anything else aside from this?

Shame though they can't do what Channel 5 now does with some shows on 5USA - show them in SD on the channel itself but also make them available in HD on the Catch Up Service. I'm certainly hoping that is what they will do with Chicago PD as they seem to do it for other current US series on the channel.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,949
    Forum Member
    Yes its good that they are showing this at all, but as its made in HD you expect it to be shown in HD these days, after all to have Gold you have to pay a subscription of some kind, its not like its a free channel!

On that argument we would have a whole raft of extra HD channels - 5*, 5USA, Really, CNN, Fox News, Sony TV, Sony Movies, Movies 24, Sky 2, Pick, CBS channels, Discovery channels, Food Network, PBS America, H2 etc etc

Now wouldn't that be great :D

It has gone a bit quiet on new HD channel launches on Sky this year - hardly anything at all.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gold is also in 544*576 I believe as well which doesnt help, well certainly thats what people have said on here before now, so even 720*576 would be an improvement, but Gold is an SD channel surrounded by HD channels (if you have the HD swap) so it really shows up.

The point I am making is, you are lucky to be seeing it so early, so enjoy the show, not complain about the picture.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point I am making is, you are lucky to be seeing it so early, so enjoy the show, not complain about the picture.

lucky to be seeing it at all...
    and at no extra cost....

the sense of entitlement some folk have is really amazing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    On that argument we would have a whole raft of extra HD channels - 5*, 5USA, Really, CNN, Fox News, Sony TV, Sony Movies, Movies 24, Sky 2, Pick, CBS channels, Discovery channels, Food Network, PBS America, H2 etc etc

Now wouldn't that be great :D

It has gone a bit quiet on new HD channel launches on Sky this year - hardly anything at all.

That is a good point, yes it would be good for those channels to launch in HD too!