Options

How do you respond when someone asks how much do you earn?

Comments

• Options
    John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coolgirl wrote: »
    I never know what to say when someone asks me this, I usually tell people the truth but at the same time it makes me a little uncomfortable. Does anyone have a good way to deflect from answering or am I just being silly? :confused:

I generally tell them (unless my client asks me specifically not too). We all do the same job, have a similar skill set and experience and sometimes feel for those on a lower rate than me when they have the same expenses as I do.

I know how much my client makes from my time from the end client and they only pass a small amount of it on to me. Paying fellow contractors an extra £20 or £30 a day aint gonna make a huge difference to their profits!

Maybe cos im a contractor, rather than PAYE.
  • Options
    SoupbowlSoupbowl Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i cant recall ever being asked outside of work environment. It would be crass and i would just give a non committal answer. When meeting up with persons in the same industry, the gloves are off, we are all at it trying to sniff out the best opportunities.
  • Options
    gavinfarrellygavinfarrelly Posts: 6,195
    Forum Member
    'Enough' along with a deathstare usually ends that line of conversation.
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends whether I'm asking for a mortgage or talking to the taxman.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    I am stay at home mum and carer and my husband works part time. So if we get asked, I say we are on a low income and claim benefits, plus additional payments for our disabled son.

I have asked a couple of friends in the past what they earn but it is usually in reference to benefits as they have asked my advice on it. Otherwise I don't want to know and I don't think people need to know my income details.

Obviously I do reveal our actual income where we need to do, such as tax credits, loan applications etc.
  • Options
    allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weep.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    A few years back I went into an estate agents to enquire about renting a flat. The rather large young lady looked me up and down and said (her very first question!) "How much do you earn?".

I replied "£100 grand. How much do you eat?" and I walked out.

By the way, the 100k bit wasn't/isn't true!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not been asked for years. But, after seeing that the current UK average is £26,500, I'd probably just say i earn quite a bit more than the national average, but less than £50k.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    "Enough to get by"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody has ever asked me outright.

I found out on Monday I have been promoted (yay! :D) and I've been dying to know my new salary, but until a meeting with HR in a couple of weeks I won't know. I'm the same grade and position as one of my colleagues now who's had the week off, but when we get back on Tuesday I'm going to ask her what we earn. I wouldn't ask any of the others but I know she wouldn't be offended and would tell me straight off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considerably more than you....

But usually I just tell them enough. Its a bit tacky to ask someone what they earn, surely?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody has ever asked me outright.

I found out on Monday I have been promoted (yay! :D) and I've been dying to know my new salary, but until a meeting with HR in a couple of weeks I won't know. I'm the same grade and position as one of my colleagues now who's had the week off, but when we get back on Tuesday I'm going to ask her what we earn. I wouldn't ask any of the others but I know she wouldn't be offended and would tell me straight off.

That's not always a good move for the simple reason that, most jobs have a pay-scale and if your colleague is already at the top end of the scale, it'd be more than likely that you'll start on something lower.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the rare occasions I have been asked I simply say "not enough"

I've only been asked by non British folk (a South African I worked with hadn't quite get used to the social nuances here and I told her it is rude to ask people this...)

Maybe in other countries it is an acceptable question?
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ylomyloh wrote: »
    But usually I just tell them enough. Its a bit tacky to ask someone what they earn, surely?
    Depends on the context. A friend did once ask me in an acceptable context, so I told her. It's pretty much between my accountant, me and the taxman the rest of the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    Depends on the context. A friend did once ask me in an acceptable context, so I told her. It's pretty much between my accountant, me and the taxman the rest of the time.

I agree. There are certain times it is ok, but just because someone is being nosy is not ok.
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    I'm well aware I earn above average so I usually say I'm fortunate to be well off but I always emphasize "for the time being" but that's the reality. Make hay while the sun shines and all that.

You are right about "for the time being"...I was above the national average until I took voluntary severance (to ward off the inevitable compulsory redundancy) and I'm now on a student grant earning just above min wage in my spare time......but I'm a lot happier and optimistic about the future. :)
  • Options
    lubaluba Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather not tell you that, sorry.

Fortunately I have never been asked that question.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I normally respond 'Nowhere near enough!'

I find talking about money to be quite crass! I used to have a 'comfortably well off' friend who always used to talk about money. Every time we were in the pub he would always talk about how much he'd earned that month or how much he'd made through investment. He had nothing until his wife had had a serious car accident and got a HUGE pay off, which gave them the capital to start his business!

Anyway, one day he commented nonchalantlyto me and my other mates that he and his wife didn't have to watch the pennies at which point I shouted 'well we do, so why don't you buy the next few rounds eh!' which he never did! He stopped coming out after that and I haven't seen him in a couple of years!

He was also one of those people who when it was his round, had a Carling but when it was someone elses, he had a Stella!:mad:
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never know what to say when someone asks me this, I usually tell people the truth but at the same time it makes me a little uncomfortable. Does anyone have a good way to deflect from answering or am I just being silly? :confused:

"Why do you want to know ?"

"Oh, just curious"

"OK, you first then: how many times a week do you have sex, and in what positions ?"
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people who work in the same company in the same job role never get exactly the same wages?
  • Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yellowpark wrote: »
    Why do people who work in the same company in the same job role never get exactly the same wages?

Works on a Grade scale, you can both be on Grade 3 (G3), but inbetween G3 and G4, there are different levels.

That's what it's like where I work anyway, in the public sector.
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Works on a Grade scale, you can both be on Grade 3 (G3), but inbetween G3 and G4, there are different levels.

That's what it's like where I work anyway, in the public sector.

But why, what's the course?

It's not fair is it, I work in the public sector and I get more than three of my colleagues who are older than me.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

Just say it is confidential information. In fact some companies frown upon their employees disclosing individual salaries.

It does help, on the other hand, that documents on such matters are keep in a password protected area on the company server, not available for general view to everybody, where anybody can find out the information, if they know where to look, as I once discovered at a former place of work and was privy to finding out the salaries of every employee in the company. It was an eye opener to find out what some people were earning, considering what they did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    QueenMaudeQueenMaude Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was in Syria I was asked how much I earn and how much I weigh!its normal to them to ask,I had to explain they shouldn't ask English women her salary, weight or age :p