Dartford crossing changes toll booths being removed.

Comments

• TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    I live fairly close and use the crossing reasonably often and this is the first I've heard of it.

I don't really care as long as the technology actually works (by no means guaranteed), as it should speed up getting across, but the extra 50p seems a bit bloody cheeky tbh.

Depending how close you live (Thurrock/Dartford) you can get a "local" discount currently 50 trips for £10

How to pay

The cheapest way to pay is using a pre pay account. This saves you up to a third on each crossing. Local residents will need a pre-pay account to access the local residents’ discount scheme.

Alternatively once Dart Charge is in place you will be able to make one-off payments in advance or by midnight the day after crossing:

online at www.gov.uk/dart-charge
    over the phone by calling: 0300 300 0120
    via a payzone retail outlet
    by post (in advance only):
    Dart Charge Customer Services PO Box 842 Leeds LS1 9QF
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just thinking about this...It will be an ANPR system used for recording each vehicle?

Does that mean for each person that fails to pay in the allotted time, the company have to apply to the DVLA for registered keeper details, or do such companies have a "special deal" whereby they get instant access for an annual fee, or summink?
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They kept this quiet.

High time there was another crossing built.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how much trade Bluewater loses from north of the Thames because of this toll?
  • bad-beatbad-beat Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I wonder how much trade Bluewater loses from north of the Thames because of this toll?

Probably not much. Most people north of the Thames go to Lakeside or Stratford Westfield if you're that way inclined. The toll is going up from £2.00 to £2.50 for normal vehicles. I would've thought that if people were previously willing to pay £2 in order to get to Bluewater (when they could go to Lakeside for free), they'd also pay £2.50.
  • dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sanef do tags for windscreen on French tolls that have your account debited at end of month probably be the next step works well from what I've seen abroad
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read all about it ....

Dart Charge: Dartford Crossing remote payment
    How to pay
    The cheapest way to pay is using a pre pay account. This saves you up to a third on each crossing. Local residents will need a pre-pay account to access the local residents’ discount scheme.

You can top up your pre-pay account manually or set up automatic top-ups. You can register more than one vehicle to your account.

Alternatively once Dart Charge is in place you will be able to make one-off payments in advance or by midnight the day after crossing:

by post (in advance only): Dart Charge Customer Services PO Box 842 Leeds LS1 9QF

With various methods of payment, and extended time to pay it, people will have less chance to get away without paying as well.

Dartford Crossing: Unpaid tolls triple in three years
    The number of drivers unable to pay the toll at the Dartford Crossing between Kent and Essex has nearly tripled in three years.

Last year, 39,996 people were issued with a debt ticket for not having enough cash when they reached the crossing, compared with 15,216 in 2010.

Of those given tickets, 1,336 never paid up compared with 639 in 2010.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Will they be going after foreign registered vehicles who don't pay on time, if at all?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will they be going after foreign registered vehicles who don't pay on time, if at all?

I was thinking exactly the same.

The reason the toll charge is going up by 50p is most probably to subsidise the lost revenue from foreign registered vehicles who can now make the crossing without ever having to pay for it.
  • Fred FlintstoneFred Flintstone Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1MJ1 wrote: »
    I was thinking exactly the same.

The reason the toll charge is going up by 50p is most probably to subsidise the lost revenue from foreign registered vehicles who can now make the crossing without ever having to pay for it.

Yes, that's what I think.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Comme d'habitude, I doubt it...

Can you imagine if a British car tried getting away with paying no tolls in other countries? You'd be fined on the spot before you could say peage
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    bad-beat wrote: »
    Probably not much. Most people north of the Thames go to Lakeside or Stratford Westfield if you're that way inclined. The toll is going up from £2.00 to £2.50 for normal vehicles. I would've thought that if people were previously willing to pay £2 in order to get to Bluewater (when they could go to Lakeside for free), they'd also pay £2.50.

Is that it? Try £6.40 just to get into Wales!
  • jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is an absolute joke. The toll was originally brought in to help pay for the costs of building the tunnel.

It has now paid for itself hundreds of times over, and yet the government is still charging for it.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    bad-beat wrote: »
    You would have seen the camera gantry that's been in place for 6 months now (not that you would have registered what they were - I certainly didn't!)

Camera Gantry on Google Street View

Ahhhhh yep have seen those, never had any idea what they were for though...:D
    Tiexen wrote: »
    Depending how close you live (Thurrock/Dartford) you can get a "local" discount currently 50 trips for £10

How to pay

by post (in advance only):
    Dart Charge Customer Services PO Box 842 Leeds LS1 9QF

Thanks that is very handy info :)
  • Justin AerialJustin Aerial Posts: 5,710
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    I see they have sneaked this one in without too much coverage.

Millions of drivers face fines of up to £105 from the end of this month. When the toll booths are removed from the dartford corssings on the M25. Payment can now only be done online or over the phone similar to the congestion charge.

I think this is a bad idea not everyone who drives has the Internet some may not even have a phone. Also the price is going up by 50p for what admin charges no doubt >:(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2824651/Millions-motorists-face-fined-Dartford-toll-road-axes-booths-forces-driver-pay-online.html

Just seen this on the news and I`m very angry about it, and worried. It isn`t just the fact that The Dartford Crossing is going to be more inconvenient to use, particularly for irregular users* I feel this kind of thing is the thin end of a very big wedge. The wedge being that, and you mark my words, in the not too distant future of you haven`t got Internet access and - eventually - an I Phone (or equiv) you will be a second class citizen in your own country. In fact you already are, but it`ll get worse. The Government will see ways to save money for themselves by forcing people to access services online. I haven`t got an I Phone and don`t want one. The thought of being permanently connected to the Internet and E mails fills me with dread. I`m seething that, sooner or later, I`ll be forced to have one by my own government.

* We only use the Dartford crossing every few years so will not have one of those payment scanners. We`ll either have to remember to pay using the Internet before we leave or use our phone when we get there. But I thought drivers were supposed to be discouraged from using their mobiles, and, more importantly, what happens if you get down there and find the bleedin` phone isn`t working or even flat ! We`ve got a contract phone but what about people who might run out of credit ?
    It`s supposed to be a public road, in fact an essential part of our roads infrastructure with no ready alternative, it`s absolutely appalling that it won`t be equally accessible for all drivers. How did they get away with this ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It`s supposed to be a public road, in fact an essential part of our roads infrastructure with no ready alternative, it`s absolutely appalling that it won`t be equally accessible for all drivers. How did they get away with this ?

Since you can pay it in a PayZone shop, via telephone number, by snail mail or by Internet there are plenty of ways to pay.

You can pay in advance or up to 24 hours after you make the crossing which should be ample for most people to find a landline if they don't have access to, or don't want to use, a mobile.

Here is the link to the payment options again.
    Alternatively you can make one-off payments in advance or by midnight the day after crossing:

by post (in advance only): Dart Charge Customer Services PO Box 842 Leeds LS1 9QF
  • gkecgkec Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen this on the news and I`m very angry about it, and worried. It isn`t just the fact that The Dartford Crossing is going to be more inconvenient to use, particularly for irregular users* I feel this kind of thing is the thin end of a very big wedge. The wedge being that, and you mark my words, in the not too distant future of you haven`t got Internet access and - eventually - an I Phone (or equiv) you will be a second class citizen in your own country. In fact you already are, but it`ll get worse. The Government will see ways to save money for themselves by forcing people to access services online. I haven`t got an I Phone and don`t want one. The thought of being permanently connected to the Internet and E mails fills me with dread. I`m seething that, sooner or later, I`ll be forced to have one by my own government.

* We only use the Dartford crossing every few years so will not have one of those payment scanners. We`ll either have to remember to pay using the Internet before we leave or use our phone when we get there. But I thought drivers were supposed to be discouraged from using their mobiles, and, more importantly, what happens if you get down there and find the bleedin` phone isn`t working or even flat ! We`ve got a contract phone but what about people who might run out of credit ?

So you are seething that instead of having to wait in a queue a mile or more long, you can pay up to the end of the next day from somewhere more convenient. And the big signs won't remind you that you have to pay?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The use of ANPR and issuing of penalty charges to evaders might be more worrying / annoying to some.
    Enforcing the charge is an important part of the Dart Charge scheme. Penalty charges and recovery processes will be used to tackle evasion.

Evasion is likely to involve both UK-registered and non-UK-registered vehicles. The automatic number plate recognition system recognises non-UK vehicles and a European debt recovery agency will support the recovery of outstanding charges. This approach has proven successful with similar schemes such as the London congestion charge

Let's hope the likes of peppipoo can't challenge or ignore them.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be nice to see how the traffic is from tomorrow when I pop to Lakeside.
  • crimez83crimez83 Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    I used it today - traffic was surprisingly calm, you still had to wait for the barrier to rise but the whole thing moved pretty swiftly.

I've topped up with £10 which should see me through the next couple of months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crimez83 wrote: »
    I used it today - traffic was surprisingly calm, you still had to wait for the barrier to rise but the whole thing moved pretty swiftly.

I've topped up with £10 which should see me through the next couple of months.

Sounds good. I think the ultimate plan is for all the barriers to be removed as well so it's completely free flowing. I think it'll improve it massively when that happens.
  • JayDee279JayDee279 Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the ultimate plan is for all the barriers to be removed as well so it's completely free flowing. I think it'll improve it massively when that happens.
    Right up to the time when there's a huge pile-up in the tunnels due to someone tonking through at 80.
    How will they slow people down? I mean FORCE them to slow down, rather than having a few cameras flashing?
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sleeping Policemen
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JayDee279 wrote: »
    Right up to the time when there's a huge pile-up in the tunnels due to someone tonking through at 80.
    How will they slow people down? I mean FORCE them to slow down, rather than having a few cameras flashing?

It works in the Tyne Tunnel, where there is a 30 and 40 limit. Just by camera enforcement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    It works in the Tyne Tunnel, where there is a 30 and 40 limit. Just by camera enforcement.

This is what will likely happen on the Dartford Bridge in time as well. You'll invariably get some idiots along the way, but i think you'll always get idiots on the road regardless of the location.