Top Gear

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Much better representation of the actual setting than the India Special.

Everything about it was a vast improvement on the India Special. Back to Vietnam on Bikes standard tonight, top stuff!
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a big Top Gear fan, but that was boring. Did anything actually happen?
  • x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    I'm a big Top Gear fan, but that was boring. Did anything actually happen?

Yeah, they got stuck in the mud:p

I actually enjoyed it, good camera shots in there as always when they do these road trips and some good banter between them. Looking forward to next week already:)
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    x+y wrote: »

I actually enjoyed it, good camera shots in there as always when they do these road trips and some good banter between them. Looking forward to next week already:)

Nah, preferred Vietnam and Jezza on the Vespa etc....
  • GibmanGibman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what a boring episode....and the idiots have dragged this out over 2 weeks.

top gear=crap gear
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    x+y wrote: »

Would have been better edited down but I suppose with putting so much money and effort they felt they had to make it into something over two weeks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I thought it was great... but then i'm of the opinion that even a mediocre episode of TG is better than most of the rubbish on my TV :D
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it, the situations and scrapes weren't too forced. It showed respect for the location unlike some previous specials, but one thing stood out as utterly pointless. The traffic in Kampala is indeed terrible, it takes hours to get anywhere, but they had been at Entebbe, and were headed south west. Going east to Kampala was totally pointless apart from to show the traffic jams.

Even if they had had to go through Kampala there's no way they'd get stuck in a jam all night.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gibman wrote: »
    what a boring episode....and the idiots have dragged this out over 2 weeks.

top gear=crap gear

Save yourself some trouble and look in the TV mag next week :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    Because he was embarrassed - Planet Earth Live was a complete disaster; they were there at the wrong time of the year,always in the dark, and had no animals to see.
    Indeed, yet my OH recorded every tedious minute of it. :eek:

I don't think it would have mattered what time of year it was for the African wildlife as they are an hour or two ahead of us but near the equator, so anything shown live in the evening here will be in darkness there any time of year. Also sightings of wildlife will almost never happen during the live show, so the live bits will always be shots of the presenters talking about what other people had seen earlier.
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    far2cool wrote: »
    They troll'd us there !! :D

Yes. :D:D
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A thoroughly enjoyable episode and miles better than the Indian debacle. Some great laugh out moments too. Looking forward to next week, but will feel sad that Sundays won't be the same until there's a new series (which I hope won't be too long a wait).
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Loved it! Terrific photography, Africa looke gorgeous for the most part - seemingly unforced situations and banter - it just felt right.

Top Gear this series, such an return to form.

Magnificently made TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Loved it! Terrific photography, Africa looke gorgeous for the most part - seemingly unforced situations and banter - it just felt right.

Magnificently made TV.
    Yes, apart from the diversion to Kampala.
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Magnificently made TV.

Yes, I chuckled at breakfast not being available because Jesus Christ hasn't risen yet.
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »
    Yes, apart from the diversion to Kampala.

How far do you want to go with that? You could say the whole thing was forced because they were in Africa in the first place.

That's why i said "seemingly enforced" - as in the obvious car fire because of Hammond's burner didn't happen and so forth.

It felt a bit more like earlier specials this time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How far do you want to go with that? You could say the whole thing was forced because they were in Africa in the first place.

That's why i said "seemingly enforced" - as in the obvious car fire because of Hammond's burner didn't happen and so forth.

It felt a bit more like earlier specials this time.
    The only reason they went to Kampala (180 degrees in the wrong direction) was to get stuck in traffic and then get breakfast from street traders. Even then I don't believe they could have got stuck all night. Three or four hours to cross the city at worst.

The rest I agree with you, Kampala was the sole exception.
    Forum Member
    The only reason they went to Kampala (180 degrees in the wrong direction) was to get stuck in traffic and then get breakfast from street traders. Even then I don't believe they could have got stuck all night. Three or four hours to cross the city at worst.

The rest I agree with you, Kampala was the sole exception.

Yes, a real eye opener for those of us who having been there. Makes me glad that out road system, for all it's faults, doesn't usually produce traffic like that.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, a real eye opener for those of us who having been there. Makes me glad that out road system, for all it's faults, doesn't usually produce traffic like that.:)
    To recap, you said "seemingly unforced situations" and I agreed, apart from Kampala, which they had no need to drive through. Now you're agreeing that Kampala traffic is bad. Do you get the point I was making as well?

Presumably that's why they didn't show that part of the trip on the map, so it wouldn't be obvious it was a detour.
    Forum Member
    To recap, you said "seemingly unforced situations" and I agreed, apart from Kampala, which they had no need to drive through. Now you're agreeing that Kampala traffic is bad. Do you get the point I was making as well?

Presumably that's why they didn't show that part of the trip on the map, so it wouldn't be obvious it was a detour.

Well, i think it's clear they only went there to show the traffic. But it didn't feel forced if you know what i mean.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Great start to Top Gears......African Adventure.:cool:

I even liked the Car makeovers, which I normally Hate.

And the Bananas, very Funny.
  • rdanvillerdanville Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Great start to Top Gears......African Adventure.:cool:

I even liked the Car makeovers, which I normally Hate.

And the Bananas, very Funny.

Yes very good. From all the fans in the USA!
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought this was a great episode. Loved Jeremy with the bananas, James saying 'it wasn't a dream', Richard saying 'oh it costs exactly that much...of course' for the water, them entering Jezza and the comments about Richard's animal TV show. It didn't feel scripted or like there was forced humour included; just a genuine road trop amongst friends. Excellent.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was brilliant.

Amazed at l the negative posts every week here. The majority who watch Top gear watch because they enjoy it but
    on here I'm sure the people who moan just channel hop or something? :confused:
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great advert for Suburu - what a car, don't care if it does have a chav rep. The way it pulled itself and a very heavy car through that mud was fantastic.
This discussion has been closed.