NSU to ban UKIP from debate at UEA

nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
Forum Member
✭✭
(that's the university of East Anglia)
http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/controversial_ukip_event_on_the_university_of_east_anglia_campus_postponed_amid_review_1_3865654

The Student Union are basically trying to kick UKIP out of the debate, although now they are claiming its because the invitation didn't follow the guidelines properly (using a technicality? What a shock!). This isn't the general 'lefty students' idea either, just looking at Douglas Carswells twitter feed and you'll see Labour members on the NSU body stating they opposed the attempts to silence UKIP but were basically ignored, Green members doing the same. A small clique at the top decided to expel UKIP and are now panicking as they begin to realise NO-ONE SUPPORTS THEM. I dislike UKIP, have never and WILL never vote for them, however I dislike this student trend in basically banning ANY point of view a tiny group that runs the local body disagrees with.

Comments

• Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (that's the university of East Anglia)
    http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/controversial_ukip_event_on_the_university_of_east_anglia_campus_postponed_amid_review_1_3865654

The Student Union are basically trying to kick UKIP out of the debate, although now they are claiming its because the invitation didn't follow the guidelines properly (using a technicality? What a shock!). This isn't the general 'lefty students' idea either, just looking at Douglas Carswells twitter feed and you'll see Labour members on the NSU body stating they opposed the attempts to silence UKIP but were basically ignored, Green members doing the same. A small clique at the top decided to expel UKIP and are now panicking as they begin to realise NO-ONE SUPPORTS THEM. I dislike UKIP, have never and WILL never vote for them, however I dislike this student trend in basically banning ANY point of view a tiny group that runs the local body disagrees with.

Maybe, if the speaker, or the ones who invited them, had followed the rules (let's face, UKIP do tend to think that normal rules don't ever apply to them), it may have been a different headline.

ETA:

There is nowhere in that article that says they have been banned. I don't suppose you'd like to let everyone know what verb was actually used, or does that not fit your agenda?
  • BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe, if the speaker, or the ones who invited them, had followed the rules (let's face, UKIP do tend to think that normal rules don't ever apply to them), it may have been a different headline.

ETA:

There is nowhere in that article that says they have been banned. I don't suppose you'd like to let everyone know what verb was actually used, or does that not fit your agenda?

Postponed is the verb used although later some students in the political society thought censored an appropriate verb to use. It is worth noting what the petition says

“Ukip is a nationalistic, racist, and anti-migrant party that is to many people intimidating, offensive, and degrading. The university has a responsibility to protect its students from an environment of hate and discrimination”.

There are many things that many people find offensive and degrading but in the democratic spirit tolerate.
  • nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ETA:

The vast majority general student body was completely happy to have UKIP invited as they wanted to debate them, the small minority at the top suddenly announced THE DAY BEFORE THE DEBATE WAS DUE TO HAPPEN that the people who had invited UKIP had not followed the rules. They hadn't checked before, then suddenly they do and decide the rules haven't been followed and decided to postpone the event. What a shock. Even the majority of the NSU think this is stupid. The head of the local NSU body has said its because they want students to 'feel safe' which is a pathetic excuse for banning a political group they don't like.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    When did the left become so keen to ban? You see it everywhere.
    Is it a SJW thing that has grown with t'internet and social media?
    I dont remember it being quite so bad a geneation ago.
  • warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    “Ukip is a nationalistic, racist, and anti-migrant party that is to many people intimidating, offensive, and degrading. The university has a responsibility to protect its students from an environment of hate and discrimination”.

I had no idea modern students were such delicate flowers. How on Earth do they cope with the presence of islamist preachers on campus?
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NUS 2011-2014 Policy Conference Resolution on Support for European Students, No 4. is

"To protect the right of mobility within the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) by
    campaigning against any loophole or change in European law which could be used to treat students from other EHEA countries differently from the domestic students in that country."

Anyone got any thoughts on how inviting UKIP along to meetings would support that aim?
  • iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think it is a recent invention nor do I believe suddenly anyone 'on the left' is so keen to ban. We've got some bag eggs that let the side down on both sides of the political spectrum, and as evidenced here, most right thinking people of 'the left' have been keen to distance themselves from it. If only some of the right were able to distance themselves and disown a few of their own 'bad eggs' just as forthrightly....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The vast majority general student body was completely happy to have UKIP invited as they wanted to debate them, the small minority at the top suddenly announced THE DAY BEFORE THE DEBATE WAS DUE TO HAPPEN that the people who had invited UKIP had not followed the rules. They hadn't checked before, then suddenly they do and decide the rules haven't been followed and decided to postpone the event. What a shock. Even the majority of the NSU think this is stupid. The head of the local NSU body has said its because they want students to 'feel safe' which is a pathetic excuse for banning a political group they don't like.

So, they weren't banned then?

If the rules are followed, I am sure they will allowed to speak.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't remember seeing UKIP had being banned from anywhere, can you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it is a recent invention nor do I believe suddenly anyone 'on the left' is so keen to ban. We've got some bag eggs that let the side down on both sides of the political spectrum, and as evidenced here, most right thinking people of 'the left' have been keen to distance themselves from it. If only some of the right were able to distance themselves and disown a few of their own 'bad eggs' just as forthrightly....

It's not 'the left' its a tiny clique that runs or heavily influences local NSU bodies that are quite happy to run roughshod over the wishes of the students when they want to silence groups they disagree with. The left members of the NSU at the UEA are obviously VERY annoyed about this as they know it makes them look terrible and intolerant.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not 'the left' its a tiny clique that runs or heavily influences local NSU bodies that are quite happy to run roughshod over the wishes of the students when they want to silence groups they disagree with. The left members of the NSU at the UEA are obviously VERY annoyed about this as they know it makes them look terrible and intolerant.

Quoted for truth.

It also makes them look afraid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Should UKIP be allowed to break the rules? Is it just them that are expected to ignore them? Or do we just forgive them, because, "hey, they're are just a bit maverick and we should applaud their audacity?"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, they weren't banned then?

If the rules are followed, I am sure they will allowed to speak.

They were effectively banned by a tiny group on the NSU body against the overwhelming majority.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,557
    Forum Member
    Please allow UKIP spokespeople to debate and be questioned at every possible opportunity for it is then that they will be shown to be what they are which is the party that would demolish the welfare state and get rid of employment protection.
    Speak up UKIP and tell everyone in detail what your plans are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were effectively banned by a tiny group on the NSU body against the overwhelming majority.

Where in the article does it say they have been banned (for the second time of asking)? What has actually happened? Has their visit possibly been delayed; I don't know, just going out on a limb here, you may need to help me out.......what was that word they used, it's on the tip my tongue?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Please allow UKIP spokespeople to debate and be questioned at every possible opportunity for it is then that they will be shown to be what they are which is the party that would demolish the welfare state and get rid of employment protection.

Banning UKIP is the worst thing possible, it makes the NSU look intolerant of anything they disagree with while making them look afraid AND making UKIP MORE popular!
  • Malcolm_ReedMalcolm_Reed Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »

"demolishing" the welfare state is, in the current climate, a surefire vote winner.

UKIP truly do represent the majority of the peoples views.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where in the article does it say they have been banned (for the second time of asking)? What has actually happened? Has their visit possibly been delayed; I don't know, just going out on a limb here, you may need to help me out.

The NSU had no problem with the visit until yesterday, then suddenly they announce the rules weren't followed and postpone the visit. No future date has been decided, that's it. Douglas Carswell is supposed to speak in January, he has asked if he will be allowed to and been told its being looked into. If AGAIN UKIP are effectively banned from the campus by a tiny clique over ruling the majority of local NSU members things should get interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quoted for truth.

It also makes them look afraid.

Yep, spot on. This will only boost UKIP on university campuses now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "demolishing" the welfare state is, in the current climate, a surefire vote winner.

Only for voters who are not affected by the "demolition" of the welfare state. As well as some who think, "as long as it means foreigners are made homeless and hungry. "
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The NSU had no problem with the visit until yesterday, then suddenly they announce the rules weren't followed and postpone the visit. No future date has been decided, that's it. Douglas Carswell is supposed to speak in January, he has asked if he will be allowed to and been told its being looked into. If AGAIN UKIP are effectively banned from the campus by a tiny clique over ruling the majority of local NSU members things should get interesting.

Still not admitting it, are you? I wonder why.

Have the National Union of Students (NUS) banned UKIP, yes or no?

If you are to answer "Yes," where in the article does it say they have been banned?
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,557
    Forum Member

Well that is an interesting opinion but personally I cannot see how the loss of sick pay, maternity pay and abolishing unfair dismissal appeals to name just a few would encourage people to vote but this is why I want UKIP to put their case on EVERYTHING they stand for so the electorate can see what lies beneath.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still not admitting it, are you? I wonder why.

Have the National Union of Students (NUS) banned UKIP, yes or no?

If you are to answer "Yes," where in the article does it say they have been banned?

They have effectively banned UKIP from the campus by waiting until it was far too late to sort out any bureaucratic problems and coming up with one. Would they have banned a political party they agreed with from coming? I doubt it. The NSU has a history of being INCREDIBLY intolerant of anyone with a political viewpoint they disagree with, this is only the latest in a series of debates that have been either 'cancelled' or 'postponed' because a tiny clique of students have made sure it can't happen. They don't represent the students, just themselves, yet they act like they do and whine like spoilt brats when called out on the matter.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/shutting-down-abortion-debates-and-banning-the-swp--what-a-terrible-week-for-free-speech-9875022.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have effectively banned UKIP from the campus by waiting until it was far too late to sort out any bureaucratic problems and coming up with one. Would they have banned a political party they agreed with from coming? I doubt it. The NSU has a history of being INCREDIBLY intolerant of anyone with a political viewpoint they disagree with, this is only the latest in a series of debates that have been either 'cancelled' or 'postponed' because a tiny clique of students have made sure it can't happen. They don't represent the students, just themselves, yet they act like they do and whine like spoilt brats when called out on the matter.

So, is that a yes or a no? If it's a "yes," where in the article have they said that UKIP has been banned? If it's a "no," what actual word did they use?

I am beginning to think you haven't actually read the article and merely made assumptions and reacting to the opinions someone has told you you should have.

Or is not the National Union of Students who have banned UKIP, but a now defunct former motor manufacturer? ;-)
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..."The university has a responsibility to protect its students from an environment of hate and discrimination”.

That's a reason to leave Norwich, not ban UKIP