Comments

• Ronell_DavisRonell_Davis Posts: 4,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dosen't surprise me.
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't surprise me, often the best vocalists have worked on cruise ships beforehand. What amazes me even more is that a lot of artists have been signed whilst performing at a holiday thing, or a cruise ship, and they don't get signed, but surely someone should of signed her! Hah!
  • BillyBoy7BillyBoy7 Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought everyone knew that.
  • threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does surprise me actually as she hasn't picked up the bad cruise ship/cabaret habits that past performers have exhibited.

I would have no way of knowing, don't read any articles on the contestants and only really started watching from live shows, sped through judge's houses.

People like Mary, Michelle McManus, Jane McDonald herself (obviously not XFactor but...) ;) she is a much better singer than all of those were or ever could be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Sam is a brilliant singer. I'd buy her recordings any day.
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    Jequila wrote: »
    I think Sam is a brilliant singer. I'd buy her recordings any day.

I'd buy 6 copies of her CD. They would make excellent coasters and great value from the bargain bin
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Yeah I was like they talked up the whole prison officer who had this amazing voice but hadn't used it till now MEH!!!!
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I was like they talked up the whole prison officer who had this amazing voice but hadn't used it till now MEH!!!!

It's the same sh*t every year. Humble old housewife who sings in the shower gets praised to high heaven before we discover they've been a professional singer most of their adult life.

Still, it's not as bad as last year and Chris 'I've never sung in public before I'm doing it for me nan' who'd been working the cruise ships for years
  • Singy ThingySingy Thingy Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those gigs often make pretty great "day jobs" for people with exceptional voices, and she definitely has one.(Not so much the "showtunes/chorus" type positions, but for feature acts, it's possible to make an okay wage for around 20 hours a week of work/typically 4-6 month contracts, plus accommodations use of the gym on board and such, and travel to great places .)

I could see her doing that, and it isn't surprising. It's also got no bearing on her place on the show now, other than possibly being how she got the chance.Good for her!
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    It's the same sh*t every year. Humble old housewife who sings in the shower gets praised to high heaven before we discover they've been a professional singer most of their adult life.

Still, it's not as bad as last year and Chris 'I've never sung in public before I'm doing it for me nan' who'd been working the cruise ships for years

Did Leona Lewis claim to be a simple secretary at the start of her year, but it turned out she had had something of a music career before??
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Did Leona Lewis claim to be a simple secretary at the start of her year, but it turned out she had had something of a music career before??

Yes I heard she had auditioned with the syco team weeks before her tv audition
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved her Titanic story. All these people, even for the youngest, have always performed somewhere or other. It's simply not possible to sing like they do without massive experience. Many places have live music. These are the nobodies who sing in them but never got a break. Sam IS a prison officer by profession, not a singer and she's never had a record deal.
  • kitten12kitten12 Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duncann wrote: »
    I loved her Titanic story. All these people, even for the youngest, have always performed somewhere or other. It's simply not possible to sing like they do without massive experience. Many places have live music. These are the nobodies who sing in them but never got a break. Sam IS a prison officer by profession, not a singer and she's never had a record deal.

You miss the point, she has been a professional singer
  • puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do feel hoodwinked....I thought she was a lady who had a hard job and life (she looked so much older than her age) who could sing but never had the chance. But now it seems that stepping out infront of an audience and singing is something she's done and enjoyed ... if it wasnt important why do we only find out now.
  • sweetie939sweetie939 Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    I do feel hoodwinked....I thought she was a lady who had a hard job and life (she looked so much older than her age) who could sing but never had the chance. But now it seems that stepping out infront of an audience and singing is something she's done and enjoyed ... if it wasnt important why do we only find out now.

I don't get why you are so surprised about this....singing at small gigs and on a cruise ship is not the same thing as doing the X factor in front of a huge audience and trying to get a record deal, they make pittance :confused:

I would be very surprised if any of the contestants hadn't sang in front of small audiences before. She is not going to go from singing in front of a mirror to singing on X factor is she
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the X-Factor's way - conceal contestants' previous experience. Silly really, since it tends to come out once they get to the live shows. Far better to be honest about it from day 1.

I assumed that Sam must have a performing background, because you don't produce performances of that quality unless you have some previous performance experience.
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still fail to understand why cruise-ship work has such a stigma attached to it. It's actually a very competitive industry. You get paid loads to do it, and while you're on the cruise ship, you're not really spending any money at all, as your accommodation is paid for as well as all your food. You come out of a cruise ship job with quite a hefty pay cheque!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sweetie939 wrote: »
    I don't get why you are so surprised about this....singing at small gigs and on a cruise ship is not the same thing as doing the X factor in front of a huge audience and trying to get a record deal, they make pittance :confused:

I would be very surprised if any of the contestants hadn't sang in front of small audiences before. She is not going to go from singing in front of a mirror to singing on X factor is she

But to stand up and sing infront of so many people and be paid for it....thats a big thing, its a paid gig, day in day out and a cruise ship is not a small audience like a pub. It's the one relevant part of her history that is linked to what she is trying to become and thats a singer. I was just naive- I thought her story was a bit like cinderella....yesterday I was watching her and going wow at how she looked and was coming across and remembering how she kept turning up to the auditions including judges houses and she worked in a prison and thats quite tough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't surprise me, often the best vocalists have worked on cruise ships beforehand. What amazes me even more is that a lot of artists have been signed whilst performing at a holiday thing, or a cruise ship, and they don't get signed, but surely someone should of signed her! Hah!

Absolutely. Remember Jennifer Hudson from American Idol - so did she, and she is the best singer ever to come out of the Idol/X Factor format.
  • dog_eat_dogdog_eat_dog Posts: 3,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This story came out after her audition. It's not something she was hiding!
  • bananaa_bobbananaa_bob Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Typical of the contestants that enter these shite talent contests,a cruise ship singer LOL This programme has no class at all, Cowell used to mock performers for being "too cruise ship" now they're the best it has to offer.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    Absolutely. Remember Jennifer Hudson from American Idol - so did she, and she is the best singer ever to come out of the Idol/X Factor format.

IMO, the best song release ever for an idol/XF contestant was Spotlight. One of the classic songs of the 00's
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see the problem here. There are no rules that say the X factor audition has to be the first time you have ever sung before. Most contestants will have had some minor experience: Butlins, cruise ships, backing singing, local am dram society.

The Chris Maloney outrage was because he lied. That doesn't mean that anyone with singing experience should be excluded
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    I still fail to understand why cruise-ship work has such a stigma attached to it. It's actually a very competitive industry. You get paid loads to do it, and while you're on the cruise ship, you're not really spending any money at all, as your accommodation is paid for as well as all your food. You come out of a cruise ship job with quite a hefty pay cheque!

It is also a good way to see the world
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    topcat3 wrote: »
    I don't see the problem here. There are no rules that say the X factor audition has to be the first time you have ever sung before. Most contestants will have had some minor experience: Butlins, cruise ships, backing singing, local am dram society.

The Chris Maloney outrage was because he lied. That doesn't mean that anyone with singing experience should be excluded

Of course they shouldn't be excluded, its just weird after so much airtime, interviews etc that you hear for the first time that she used to sing on a cruise ship thats all. Anyone should be able to enter.