Digital Foundry: BF4 XB1(720p) vs PS4 (900p)

Comments

• OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    ballybally wrote: »
    FFS! I haven't even looked at the video cos tbh I don't care. Whatever differences you all might be able to see and back up with relentless facts and figures I can guarantee they won't make any difference to me when I'm lining up a tank in my RPG sights.

Exactly!
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I have been saying it was worse during the PS3 :D

I think the problem is Xbox fans are now feeling under attack, they have big issues with the FUD been thrown around and dislike the sh** storm of hate that has target the Xbox 1. In a lot of cases these same people saw no problem with it when the shoe was on the other foot. So yes I think a lot of people do have an axe to grind, or at the very least a lot of people who went through this on PS3 are thinking "Karma Bitches".

I guess.. it's all fun and games right? Provided we don't take it too serious, like much of NeoGAF. Despite years of inferior multiplats, you enjoyed your PS3 didn't you? I'm having a tough time here believing that based on this one article that we are anywhere near "Karma Bitches" territory. ;)

Will be interesting to see what the day 1 patches bring though.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    It's very interesting that the IGN video seems to show much clearer images for the XBO. The DigitalFoundry video makes the XBO version look extremely dark with bad shadows - the IGN shows the complete opposite. The DigitalFoundry video makes the PS4 version look better in most respects, but IGN makes the XBO look better...

Could they be using something different to capture the video? Or it could be something to do with the video players? I find it hard to judge between the two, both will look better on a TV than they do on Youtube. But yeah the Xbox One does look brighter and shaper on the IGN vid, but the multiplayer looks better on PS4.
    Forum Member
    ballybally wrote: »
    FFS! I haven't even looked at the video cos tbh I don't care. Whatever differences you all might be able to see and back up with relentless facts and figures I can guarantee they won't make any difference to me when I'm lining up a tank in my RPG sights.

OK but you can't speak for everyone as some people like to discuss/compare tech. It's part of gaming really, arguably too much of a part of modern gaming but regardless, these are brand new consoles we're talking about, people want to know what they are capable of in comparison to one another. You have to cut people a little bit of slack for that at least.

I completely agree with you in principle though.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess.. it's all fun and games right? Provided we don't take it too serious, like much of NeoGAF. Despite years of inferior multiplats, you enjoyed your PS3 didn't you?

Yes which is what I have been saying for a while now. A few pixels out of place, a bit of a lower resolution doesn't really make any difference in the grand scheme of things.
    I'm having a tough time here believing that based on this one article that we are anywhere near "Karma Bitches" territory. ;)

I am talking about the sh** storm of hate and FUD which has been present since the reveal. Its the same as the PS3 early days. But a lot of the Xbox fans were ok with what happened then but now they think its wrong to focus on all the negatives now the shoe is on the other foot.

Personally I want 2 strong consoles because competition is good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assassins Creed 4 comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnqZj218UzQ#t=174

Pathetic :mad:

The sooner we move away from cross generation the better........ I hope :o
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Its all a bit of fun in the end, yeah games are great but there are some people here who used to always bring it up that the ps3 got inferior versions and used df as evidence for that and go on about how it made a massive difference, now that it has flipped, those same people are making excuses, as someone else said, its s bit of a karma bitches thing, those who used to shout about this stuff are now downplaying it and saying it doesnt matter. Just funny to see. :)
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assassins Creed 4 comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnqZj218UzQ#t=174

Pathetic :mad:

The sooner we move away from cross generation the better........ I hope :o

I think the bad quality is mostly YouTube. The footage of the PS4 version that Ubisoft have shown looks significantly better than that video!

Edit: After rewatching the Ubisoft videos, the difference isn't actually that huge. Ignore me :D
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Its all a bit of fun in the end, yeah games are great but there are some people here who used to always bring it up that the ps3 got inferior versions and used df as evidence for that and go on about how it made a massive difference, now that it has flipped, those same people are making excuses, as someone else said, its s bit of a karma bitches thing, those who used to shout about this stuff are now downplaying it and saying it doesnt matter. Just funny to see. :)

this ^^^

Although I often opted for the Xbox 360 versions because they were the better version!!!
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can barely see any difference, but Youtube's highest setting for me is only 720 so would it be possible to see any differences?
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member

Who?

Most of the main culprits were banned (ruler60) and a large percentage of the people who care more for specs have moved to the ps4 for there console of choice.

And where are those people that are making excuses on here now?

The neogaf thread hasn't failed to deliver i see, apparently the difference is 'massive' and like day and night, and us Xbox one adopters are paying a lot more for a far inferior version. Contrast, gamma levels, poor footage, and digital foundry themselves have all been blamed for the Xbox one version even looking remotely close to the far superior ps4 edition.

I think the problem here is that people (on other forums) have lead us to believe that resolution is king and that the difference would be huge, even to the most casual of gamer. In reality the ps4 may be better, but not to a scale i expected. Most will not notice. Maybe we'll see a bigger difference in ghosts if the 720p vs 1080p rumours are true?
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

It certainly is, remember that sort of thing works both ways, so the people who were adamant on defending weaker ports like it didn't matter have now taken to the position of gloating and rubbing it in, which effectively makes you no better. Suddenly all these technical differences that didn't mean much before mean a hell of a lot now. ;)

That's cool if you find that funny though, but it reads like you're genuinely annoyed and angry about the situation and I don't think there's really any need for that. I like to think we're all friends here despite our preferences and occasional squabbles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It certainly is, remember that sort of thing works both ways, so the people who were adamant on defending weaker ports like it didn't matter have now taken to the position of gloating and rubbing it in, which effectively makes you no better. Suddenly all these technical differences that didn't mean much before mean a hell of a lot now. ;)

This is what I meant by the "It either matters or it doesn't" comment.

I didn't think lower resolution matter on PS3, I don't think it matters on Xbox 1.

If someone was a defender of PS3 for its technical differences that same person should be a defender of Xbox 1 for its technical differences. Equally someone who attacked PS3 for those differences should be attacking Xbox 1 for the same thing.
    Forum Member
    I am talking about the sh** storm of hate and FUD which has been present since the reveal. Its the same as the PS3 early days. But a lot of the Xbox fans were ok with what happened then but now they think its wrong to focus on all the negatives now the shoe is on the other foot.

Personally I want 2 strong consoles because competition is good.

Right I'm with you, well we've certainly had our fair share of hate directed at the console, no doubt about it!

Regarding inferior ports, it's never ideal but it's true that unless you run side by side then chances are you won't notice or care a great deal. Personally speaking while I'm interested in the tech side of things and how X1 stacks up, it doesn't ultimately matter to me as I won't be buying a PS4 for a good while (if X1 completely satisfies me then I may not even bother) plus no-one I know is getting one either, I just want the next-gen successor to the 360, that's really all I care for tbh.
    Forum Member
    This is what I meant by the "It either matters or it doesn't" comment.

I didn't think lower resolution matter on PS3, I don't think it matters on Xbox 1.

If someone was a defender of PS3 for its technical differences that same person should be a defender of Xbox 1 for its technical differences. Equally someone who attacked PS3 for those differences should be attacking Xbox 1 for the same thing.

Lower resolution always matters by principle, it's never a better thing but in reality how much it matters is all dependent by how much lower and how noticeable it is. As I said before the differences between a title like RDR was not solely down to resolution, and had the PS3 version actually been sharper and more detailed than 360 version (like BF4 is here) then that in itself would be a different situation. It's simply not so black and white as to where it either matters or it doesn't..

I already stated to you before that I enjoyed games that were much lower resolution on 360 than PS3 and some low resolution exclusives too. So long as the AA is good I'm ok.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »
    Yeah when I watched these videos it seemed apparent to me that they didn't set things up right.

Xbox One too dark and PS4 too washed.

It seemed to me like they just didn't alter any capture settings. Obviously if you had the brightness set high on the game but your TV was low it'd look normal but if you capture it, it'll capture the washed out bright image.

It is generally a good idea to ignore that kind of thing in any comparison anyway, because your TV will never display in the same way.
    Lower resolution always matters by principle, it's never a better thing but in reality how much it matters is all dependent by how much lower and how noticeable it is. As I said before the differences between a title like RDR was not solely down to resolution, and had the PS3 version actually been sharper and more detailed than 360 version (like BF4 is here) then that in itself would be a different situation. It's simply not so black and white as to where it either matters or it doesn't..

I already stated to you before that I enjoyed games that were much lower resolution on 360 than PS3 and some low resolution exclusives too. So long as the AA is good I'm ok.
    Someone has obviously picked this out to make a mockery of it but case in point as to why resolution really helps for reducing aliasing: http://i.minus.com/itkwhI9sz0yRH.gif
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »
    Someone has obviously picked this out to make a mockery of it but case in point as to why resolution really helps for reducing aliasing: http://i.minus.com/itkwhI9sz0yRH.gif

Yep, the PS4 version has better AA..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, the PS4 version has better AA..
    I shall print out this comment and sleep with it beside me.

You see ladies he isn't so biased!

Indeed - also, though, the more pixels you have the better those steps would look as you can have more pixels making up the curves.

So it is a mixture of the two, as the AA might not be able to remove all the gaps you see on the Xbox One version.

They both look pretty decent, I guess my main 'concern' if I was an Xbox One guy would be the frame rate difference during the taxing scenes.
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »
    I shall print out this comment and sleep with it beside me.

You see ladies he isn't so biased!

Indeed - also, though, the more pixels you have the better those steps would look as you can have more pixels making up the curves.

So it is a mixture of the two, as the AA might not be able to remove all the gaps you see on the Xbox One version.

They both look pretty decent, I guess my main 'concern' if I was an Xbox One guy would be the frame rate difference during the taxing scenes.

I already said that in my first post in this thread! ;) PS4 version still has quite a few jaggies itself though.

To be fair that example you showed was a blown up part of the scenery which would never look like that unless you were playing it with your face plastered to the screen.
  • Tictac2Tictac2 Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I've got a feeling my first experience of a 64 player battle on BF4 will be a major disappointment due to 63 other players just wandering round closely examining the scenery.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Fanboys vs fanboys, enjoy you consoles and games and leave all the bickering over non important stuff to real gamers who play the game not the my spec is better than your spec attitude.
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I imagining this or did the comparison video also show the PS4 dropping frames whilst the XB1 kept a steady 60fps?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding inferior ports, it's never ideal but it's true that unless you run side by side then chances are you won't notice or care a great deal.

As far as I am concerned one version will always be inferior, as long as the differences aren't too bad I don't mind playing an inferior version.

That been said though I would like to be playing the best version all the time if possible, but as long as the inferior version isn't too bad it really doesn't bother me. I enjoyed Orange Box on PS3 and I had played the PC version previously, I knew what I was getting when I bought it and enjoyed it even though it was flawed.

The PS3 had quite a few bad ports, yet it has been one of my favourite consoles of all time.