Options

Polenta

StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
Forum Member
✭✭
I think I have mastered the rice situation...thank you to everyone who answered..:)

I am now moving on to polenta. I have a packet in my cupboard that you mix with water and cook....but I have my doubts that it will taste nice. The pictures look yucky :eek:

Any opinions?

Comments

• Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It can be a bit bland and hardly exciting on its own but have a look here for some ideas.

http://italianfood.about.com/od/polentarecipes/Polenta_Recipes.htm
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    We use it to make cornmeal porridge. You need to add lots of milk/condensed milk though, which makes for a rather indulgent meal but it's very delish! May have some for breakfast tomorrow! :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is my favourite fail safe suggestion

Take packet from cupboard
    Put in bin
    Stick to rice or cous cous
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ardwark wrote: »
    This is my favourite fail safe suggestion

Take packet from cupboard
    Put in bin
    Stick to rice or cous cous

hehehe
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Two good tips for polenta (not packet mix though) is as a coating for potato wedges and as a a dough ingreditent and base covering for pizza.
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    Eurgh, i tried it onboard ship and I seem to remember it having a slightly bitter taste. I'd follow ardwark's suggestion!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it made up and then baked in the oven so it solidifies so you can cut it into triangles. Topped with some sliced tomatoes and cheese before it is baked makes it really delicious.
    Some more suggestions for using it - polenta cake is yummy, and if you coat your roasties in it before popping them in the oven it will make them really crunchy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always thought of polenta as tastless rubbery sliced stuff in the past, but last summer was in Bergamo and we had a side dish of polenta (the owner told us it was their specialty) and it was delicious! Like a very creamy buttery smooth mashed potato (albeit a bit more sticky) - that meal changed my opinion anyhow, not sure if I would be able to recreate it mind you!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    Can someone tell me where to buy the stuff you mix yourself? I have the ready made (which is great sliced then baked with some cheese on top), but I have a recipe which calls for the other stuff. Have tried my local Asda, Sainsburys etc, and the staff didn't even know what polenta was!!! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love polenta. Parmesan & parsley in mine, with italian sausages and spicy tomato sauce.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone tell me where to buy the stuff you mix yourself? I have the ready made (which is great sliced then baked with some cheese on top), but I have a recipe which calls for the other stuff. Have tried my local Asda, Sainsburys etc, and the staff didn't even know what polenta was!!! :)

Sainsburys do sell it but it's not with the pasta as you'd expect, it is in the pulses and canned tomatoes aisle.
  • Options
    littlefrolittlefro Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starting with the my mother is West Indian sentence again. My parents brought me up on cornmeal porridge, so sweet, so filling. I find Polenta doesn't compare.