Options

Absolute Radio to launch new station

Comments

• Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has there been any confirmation that the Absolute 90s slots outside of London (Cardiff/Newport, Bristol/Bath, Swindon/West Wilts, Reading/Basingstoke & Essex) will be transferring to Absolute Classic Rock?

They really have to get Ab90s up to 112kbps on D1 before they take it off the London slot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    I thought 'AR noughties' was a wind up when I heard the trail earlier on AR80's in the way the guy says "would you like to see my synth", but this thread proves otherwise. :eek: I'll be listening online and I hope they broaden the restrictive playlist a bit. I have to say it seems possible since I heard Shakin Stevens and Bananarama played earlier...:eek:
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They really have to get Ab90s up to 112kbps on D1 before they take it off the London slot.

The London 2 slot is already winding down with the VT links replaced with generic Polly James returne details and Matt Berry saying Absolute Radio 00's.
  • Options
    RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When will Absolute Radio 00's start tests i wonder? Looks like the line up will presenter led until late as Ben Jones is listed from 10pm, I wonder if that will mean he is on Absolute 90's and 00's at the same time???.

Shame there is no presenters at the weekend again, surely they could have at least one show presenter led on there.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can imagine it now. Coldplay, Red Hot Chili Peppers "By the Way", Oasis, Green Day "American Idiot", Lily Allen "The Fear" and Elbow's "One Day Like This" every day. It'll get boring and too repetitive within a week.
  • Options
    x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    I can imagine it now. Coldplay, Red Hot Chili Peppers "By the Way", Oasis, Green Day "American Idiot", Lily Allen "The Fear" and Elbow's "One Day Like This" every day. It'll get boring and too repetitive within a week.

Also chuck in lots of Razorlight, Paolo Nutini and Snow Patrol:D
    Seriously though I might go and buy a DAB if this goes national. I hope stuff like Gorillaz, Basement Jaxx, Foo Fighters, Mylo, Bob Sinclair, Goldfrapp, Hot Chip and Bloc Party appear and it's not just going to be non-stop Kooks, Franz Ferdiand, Killers, Athlete, etc as I will be dissapointed.
  • Options
    TVCymruTVCymru Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Ridgieman wrote: »
    When will Absolute Radio 00's start tests i wonder? Looks like the line up will presenter led until late as Ben Jones is listed from 10pm, I wonder if that will mean he is on Absolute 90's and 00's at the same time???.

Shame there is no presenters at the weekend again, surely they could have at least one show presenter led on there.

I thin that there will be a weekend show, Polly is on 90s on Sunday, many she can host a show

Also Ben works on Absolute Radio on Saturday
    And Lucio on Sat and Sun
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    x+y wrote: »
    Also chuck in lots of Razorlight, Paolo Nutini and Snow Patrol:D
    Seriously though I might go and buy a DAB if this goes national. I hope stuff like Gorillaz, Basement Jaxx, Foo Fighters, Mylo, Bob Sinclair, Goldfrapp, Hot Chip and Bloc Party appear and it's not just going to be non-stop Kooks, Franz Ferdiand, Killers, Athlete, etc as I will be dissapointed.

I think you might end up being dissapointed then :D
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    Great for Absolute to expand choice, but why is O'Connell on yet another station. I can't see why Absolute Radio has to have one breakfast show on so many stations.
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolute have admitted on their Facebook that Absolute 90s / Absolute Extra @ 64kbps Mono is a permanent situation and, implicitly, that the reduction of the other two stations to 112kbps was the way they have managed to fund its permanent addition to D1.

Absolute 90s won't be going 112kbps Stereo even though it could now.

With the removal of Absolute 90s from London 2 this means that it will no longer be possible to listen to the station in Stereo via a radio..... but apparently that doesn't matter because they have new high quality Web Streams and a Sky Satellite feed on the way. :confused:

It's not as if the remainder of the capacity on D1 could be usefully used for another station - there is only 48kbps @ PL3 protection :mad:
  • Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not as if the remainder of the capacity on D1 could be usefully used for another station - there is only 48kbps @ PL3 protection :mad:
    That could be enough for a news station you know!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ridgieman wrote: »
    When will Absolute Radio 00's start tests i wonder? Looks like the line up will presenter led until late as Ben Jones is listed from 10pm, I wonder if that will mean he is on Absolute 90's and 00's at the time

Would that mean that he will be leaving Absolute 80s at it would be a long day from 1-5 and 8-midnight
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Absolute have admitted on their Facebook that Absolute 90s / Absolute Extra @ 64kbps Mono is a permanent situation and, implicitly, that the reduction of the other two stations to 112kbps was the way they have managed to fund its permanent addition to D1.

With the removal of Absolute 90s from London 2 this means that it will no longer be possible to listen to the station in Stereo via a radio..... but apparently that doesn't matter because they have new high quality Web Streams and a Sky Satellite feed on the way. :confused:

This would Also mean that there will be no non stop 90s on a saturday afternoon when Rock n Roll football is on Absolute Radio Extra on DAB
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TVCymru wrote: »
    This would Also mean that there will be no non stop 90s on a saturday afternoon when Rock n Roll football is on Absolute Radio Extra on DAB

Non-stop 90s will continue on DAB on the local muxes where it's already on outside London which are at 80k mono.
  • Options
    Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As this is so unbelievable I refuse to accept it as being true. They came out with the prospect of variable bit rates to allow Extra to be broadcast but now it's permanent! If they cannot afford the extra 56kbps then why are they not broadcasting at 96kbps on all 3 services. That would be much better all round as the quality would be almost perfect for DAB. I will not be listening to the present arrangement.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just wondering how the zeros in Absolute 00's is pronounced, is in noughties?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how the zeros in Absolute 00's is pronounced, is in noughties?

It's noughties.
  • Options
    philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,178
    Forum Member
    gwrbristol wrote: »
    I wonder what this means for us listeners in Bristol, for example, who already have Absolute 90's on a local Mux? I wonder if it means we will also get 00's or Classic Rock. (Maybe both if Kiss 100 give up the slot on the Bristol Mux now they are going national they can just use the Severn Estuary Mux)
    think there is space on Cardiff & Newport dab for another station, and when Kiss 100 (or if Kiss 100) goes from Swansea dab, Absolute could get on there with something
  • Options
    Forum Member
    think there is space on Cardiff & Newport dab for another station, and when Kiss 100 (or if Kiss 100) goes from Swansea dab, Absolute could get on there with something

That could work as Absolute Radio 00s will launch on the Absolute Radio 90s feed on the Severn estuary DAB, and Kiss 100 in Swansea. And many a expanstionmof the Absolute Classic Roxk in the Severn Eatiary
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone listening to this? The music's actually really good. The fact that when they played a King's of Leon song and it wasn't from Only by the Night! was brilliant!

Although, they are basically playing a Virgin Radio playlist circa 2004.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qwerty282 wrote: »
    Is anyone listening to this? The music's actually really good. The fact that when they played a King's of Leon song and it wasn't from Only by the Night! was brilliant!

Although, they are basically playing a Virgin Radio playlist circa 2004.

Listening now, been quite good so far. Heard Fleet Foxes, Foo Fighters, Stereophonics, KOL and now Gorillaz:)
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listening now, been quite good so far. Heard Fleet Foxes, Foo Fighters, Stereophonics, KOL and now Gorillaz:)

Other than Fleet Foxes, sounds exactly like Xfm.
  • Options
    ErwinErwin Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sound quality from the stream is very good. Beter sound than the main Absolute Radio and Classic Rock channel, I think. What are they using for processing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been listening most of the day, heard quite a good mix of music from Eminem's Mockingbird to Daniel Powter's Bad Day to MIA Paper planes, but I'm surprised to hear album tracks from Coldplay to come around. Does Absolute 90's and 80's include album tracks too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've been listening most of the day, heard quite a good mix of music from Eminem's Mockingbird to Daniel Powter's Bad Day to MIA Paper planes, but I'm surprised to hear album tracks from Coldplay to come around. Does Absolute 90's and 80's include album tracks too?

I know 90s do not sure on 80s