My Uncle just got an OBE

GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Never really thought much of the honours system - well never given it much thought.

But my uncle Colin (been a local councillor and general doing good for last 30 years) has been awarded an OBE and feeling very proud of him.

Shows it isn't all about the famous people. He and his missus are very excited about a trip to the palace. Apparently though it is St James' not Buckingham but still not to be sniffed at!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice one, glad to see it's not just the Queen's favourite celebrities getting these accolades.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done to him :)

It's always good to hear about "normal" people getting awards and being appreciated - not simply celebrities getting awards for services to kicking a football or whatever. Hopefully he enjoys his day out!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you look at the full list, celebs make up only a handful, although obviously they are all the media report on.

and congrats to your uncle!
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    Gooby wrote: »
    Never really thought much of the honours system - well never given it much thought.

But my uncle Colin (been a local councillor and general doing good for last 30 years) has been awarded an OBE and feeling very proud of him.

Shows it isn't all about the famous people. He and his missus are very excited about a trip to the palace. Apparently though it is St James' not Buckingham but still not to be sniffed at!

I'd be proud, too. What we should remember is that when these honours are announced in the media it's only the famous who seem to be named, the famous who don't really deserve such accolades and it's good to hear about a deserving case, such as your Uncle Colin. We need to hear about more of these people who work in the community for the good of the people.

Well done, Uncle Colin. x
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congratulations!!!

My uncle got an MBE last year and I was so proud of him.

Its nice to see "normal" people getting the recognition they deserve.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    This is fantastic, congratulations to your family and your uncle.
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Congratulations to him!
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. Congratulations! :D
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    wicked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How lovely for your family! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,134
    Forum Member
    Hello:)

Your Uncle got an OBE for having a terrible nephew?

Is there a closing down sale on the honours system?
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cant you just be pleased?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No I dont think it was for that.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's really nice. The majority of the honours do go to "ordinary" people and a nurse I knew a few years back got an OBE (or similar title) and she was thrilled.

I think it means a lot more to us everyday folk because we seldom receive any recognition for all the hard work we do, whereas actors, sportspeople etc. have prizes and awards ceremonies and constant media attention and, by and large, receive a great deal more attention than their achievements deserve.
  • Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember at school our music teacher got one for services to music education. We were all very excited!

Congratulations to your uncle :)
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice one, glad to see it's not just the Queen's favourite celebrities getting these accolades.

Not sure if you realise but the honours are not awarded by the Queen she just has to agree the list given to her , which she does as she has to really. The hounours are awarded by awarded by The Honours and Appointmnets Secretariat which is directly managed b yThe Cabinet Office.

http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/content/honours-and-awards
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/UKgovernment/Honoursawardsandmedals/TheUKHonourssystem/index.htm
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/UKgovernment/Honoursawardsandmedals/DG_067909

Their assessments are sent to the main selection committee. The main committee considers the balance of the proposals and forwards its recommendations to the Cabinet Secretary who, in turn, submits the list to the Prime Minister for submission to The Queen.
    Once The Queen has given her informal approval, letters are then sent to each nominee asking them whether they would be willing to accept the proposed award. Once they have replied a final list is submitted to The Queen for formal approval.
  • Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My uncle has got a violin.
  • tomharry2tomharry2 Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont have an uncle. Damn
  • synthsparklessynthsparkles Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congratulations to him :)
    My friend's mum got an MBE last year, it's nice to see people being recognised for the good things they do.
  • Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know someone who went to the MOBO awards.
  • Frankie_boyFrankie_boy Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    Congrats
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually he is not my real uncle. He is married to my dads cousin - which I think makes him a 2nd cousin or 1st once removed. Anyway - he is my parents age and I always called him Uncle so there you go.

He is even more gobsmacked than me (or he was a month ago when he was told)

And MiltonBlake - I am a female not a nephew! - but you aren't far off the mark with other members of my family. If the honours people dug around too deeply into our family I'm sure he wouldn't have got it! :)
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for all the nice responses. I was so excited I just posted and wasn't sure if I would get congrats or a load of abuse!