Options

Stand-up comedy on Blu Ray ??

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
I know it doesn't fit into the Movies category, but what is the point of bringing out Stand-up comedy on BluRay ?
It's just a bloke on a stage, isn't it ??
(Bill Bailey, Tim Minchin etc)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    So they can add £4 to the price in HMV.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    afx237vi wrote: »
    So they can add £4 to the price in HMV.

Apart from that ! :D
  • Options
    grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because its better quality.
    I agree that the requirement for HD with standup is far less than with a movie but when I get around to the latest Ricky Gervais routine I will get that on Bluray even though its £5 more than the dvd.

No new Michael McIntyre this year although his previous dvd's have been released on Bluray for Xmas.

I can't see me buying the Blu if I've already got the dvd but if the Blu is there when the dvd comes out I'll go for it when the price is right
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are blu-ray standups quality like?
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Because it's the best available quality and is becoming the standard. Nothing needs to be in HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are blu-ray standups quality like?

Better than the dvd .

Clearly Ricky Gervais in HD won't be as awesome as The Day After Tomorrow but if you tend to keep your discs rather than sell them on why not get the best quality you can.

Only you can decide if the price premium is worth it for any given title
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to get Ricky Gervais live on Blu-Ray but then I saw amazon do a special box set that have all of his stand ups on DVD for £13 rather than Play which would of been £35 ( a box set that includes his first 3 stand ups for £23 and his latest on Blu-Ray which is £12) the box sets really do not make sense.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    I know it doesn't fit into the Movies category, but what is the point of bringing out Stand-up comedy on BluRay ?
    It's just a bloke on a stage, isn't it ??
    (Bill Bailey, Tim Minchin etc)

Why dvd? You can watch on vhs. Hell screw that, you can listen on casette tapes!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    There's quite a bit I wouldn't upgrade to Blu ray for as it isn't worth the extra money-old movies, TV, etc.

Especially on TV series boxsets and things like these. I don't NEED to upgrade. Plus I can't AFFORD to do it either!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There areTV boxsets and Live shows that do look fantastic on Blu-Ray. Lost andconcerts look amazing and well worth the upgrade.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    King Wrong wrote: »
    There's quite a bit I wouldn't upgrade to Blu ray for as it isn't worth the extra money-old movies, TV, etc.

Especially on TV series boxsets and things like these. I don't NEED to upgrade. Plus I can't AFFORD to do it either!

Old movies were shot to the same standard as todays movies and most look equally as stunning .
    Are you one of these who are not interested in product more than 10 years old because "it wasn't made in HD".

As for tv .
    While the majority of British tv is unlikely to be released on Bluray there's a few oldies like The Persuaders , The Prisoner , Thunderbirds , Space 1999 etc that were made on film and look awesome.

US tv is a different matter and this has always been shot on film which is why the new US Blurays of The Twilight Zone from 1959 are making ripples for Bluray fans.

And of course more recent shows like Lost and 24 look beautiful on Bluray .

I imported from the US.
    Got the first 5 seasons of Lost on Bluray for £14 each delivered.
    Just got season 7 of 24 for £20 delivered