The Dealership - ch4

Comments

• MoxeyMoxey Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it said that the hesitant couple was in the office with James for over 3 hours.That seems baffling.Thirty mins to an hour,just about maybe but how could either side stick that long?
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd never buy a car from a place like that, on their site they don't even list how many miles the cars have done.

The feedback reviews on their site look suspiciously similar too. :eek: I did see a few cars with mileage stated though.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    I'd never buy a car from a place like that, on their site they don't even list how many miles the cars have done.

Well you're not buying off the website are you?
    Forum Member
    feckit wrote: »
    Interesting show but I would never consider buying a car off of these mugs their desperation would put me right off as it did most customers.

There was no talk of how many owners, service history, hpi check, warranty or cost of maintenance on top of finance which is all part of negotiating.
    Some people want things so bad that when they eventually get them realise very quickly it's not really what they want.
    It's an expensive lesson to learn but we have all been there.

Shopping around online you will find quite a lot of the big main dealers nowadays sell higher mileage cars
    (if they are considered too good for auction) on the forecourt with full service history and a years warranty
    at very affordable prices rather then send them to auction which is where the Essex boys get theirs.
    Many offer good finance terms as well.

I'm sure they went through all the details but it's supposed to be a fun programme, perhaps CH4 thought that a one hour programme about warranty's and maintenance costs may have been boring.
    Forum Member
    Asking your sister/s to make repayments on your behalf just so you can buy a fancy car. Just wait until you can afford it yourself, or buy a cheaper car. It will still get you from A to B.

Perhaps she could afford it. There's a difference between not being able to get credit and not affording something.
  • StaxVoltStaxVolt Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    I am enjoying this show and the prog makers have tried to give us a peek into the workings of a cliche-ridden business and it works imo.I worked in direct sales of Life Assurance on commission only for ten years,another despised occupation (and not without reason).The sink or swim mentality of a commission only pay structure was no doubt a contributory factor to the abuse of mis-selling that banks and life companies perpetrated from 1988 onwards and are so desperate to distance themselves from now.(as if they could).:rolleyes:

'The Dealership's pay structure is commission-related so that means there's a basic salary but it won't be much.With the accent so heavily on sales I wonder what bit's are edited out.I used to have a manager who loved to tell me .. "If you earn £10k next month,it's your fault ... if you earn nothing,guess what?" ... there then followed an "agreed" production target which would be completely unfeasible,if not wildly optimistic.References would be made to the top salesman in the branch who would be asked to announce to the rest of us what he earned last month (it would always be a figure most of us would be happy with for 6 months work).

This was perceived as "See,it can be done!" motivation but little was added in the area of selling skills.The characterisations of James (successful,easy-going,competent) are starkly contrasted with Scott (poor body language,aggressive manner and facial expressions,awkward,no rapport,limited communication skills) and he probably should have been declined at the interview stage when he would certainly have displayed his most negative attributes under that pressure to the boss.

The boss himself has been seen to be less than supportive and at times hyper-critical although Scott has it seems given him cause.When I see the lad in any situation away from customers I can see why he thought he might have been worth a punt as a salesman but as soon as he's one-to-one with a client,he visibly stiffens and becomes Lurch-like in demeanour.He has to go I'm afraid.

I'd like to see more about 'Closing Rates' and James in particular.For example,how many punters did he have in the office and how many bought from him in his 31 sales for the month (which is pretty phenomenal in any business).Also how many chose not to come into the office following his awful initial "You awright " intro and popping up like a ninja from anywhere with what seems to me to be pretty tired banter.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.
  • ScousingScowlerScousingScowler Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well you're not buying off the website are you?

Car buyers tend to want to have information on mileage when they are browsing for potential cars.

Having to contact them for this information is not good business sense which is why most second hand car dealers list the mileage.
    Forum Member
    Car buyers tend to want to have information on mileage when they are browsing for potential cars.

Having to contact them for this information is not good business sense which is why most second hand car dealers list the mileage.

That wasn't the point I was arguing.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The three Essex slappers, all permatan and getting their norks out? :D Getting turned down for credit twice was due reward. It was the comments, which cracked me up, as they put me in mind of this famous car ad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIQ-283wKgg

I was in hysterics at that I so wanted the 3rd to get turned down....

and so thick because now her sister owes £13k plus whatever the interest is....and if her sister defaults...(which seeing as she was turned down is highly likely) & the sister who took the loan is liable!

All to get a Mercedes "coz around here it's where you live and what you drive init"?

What it is is you can't afford it but you want everyone to think you can......

And I laughed longest and hardest because I was born cockney....in east London ....and....

if hadn't been adopted I would have grown up with family from Essex and now after years in Brighton (also a hey look at me area with plenty small (& big time) crooks driving flash motors & bling......where am I now?

Yes you guessed it I now live in....Devon ......
    No you stupid bint it's not one big field with farm animals in it & where we only drive tractors around.......it's quite normal just very pretty is all and quieter so can enjoy driving again....

I moved to get away partly from that one upmanship lifestyle....(albeit With a small collection of classic cars and motorcycles rather than the latest modddellll of Bavarian engineering).....

no....we don't really want them smashed up but I think we're safe enough here......& all my vehicles are bought and paid for....no finance applications here...

I love the show generally though for a reality doc it's brilliant.....absolutely hilarious.....
    Forum Member
    lordloz wrote: »
    I was in hysterics at that I so wanted the 3rd to get turned down....

and so thick because now her sister owes £13k plus whatever the interest is....and if her sister defaults...(which seeing as she was turned down is highly likely) & the sister who took the loan is liable!

All to get a Mercedes "coz around here it's where you live and what you drive init"?

What it is is you can't afford it but you want everyone to think you can......

And I laughed longest and hardest because I was born cockney....in east London ....and....

if hadn't been adopted I would have grown up with family from Essex and now after years in Brighton (also a hey look at me area with plenty small (& big time) crooks driving flash motors & bling......where am I now?

Yes you guessed it I now live in....Devon ......
    No you stupid bint it's not one big field with farm animals in it & where we only drive tractors around.......it's quite normal just very pretty is all and quieter so can enjoy driving again....

I moved to get away partly from that one upmanship lifestyle....(albeit With a small collection of classic cars and motorcycles rather than the latest modddellll of Bavarian engineering).....

no....we don't really want them smashed up but I think we're safe enough here......& all my vehicles are bought and paid for....no finance applications here...

I love the show generally though for a reality doc it's brilliant.....absolutely hilarious.....

It's well worth noting thought that being turned down for credit and not being able to afford something are two completely different things.
  • tom_domutoatom_domutoa Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    Moxey wrote: »
    I think it said that the hesitant couple was in the office with James for over 3 hours.That seems baffling.Thirty mins to an hour,just about maybe but how could either side stick that long?

3 hrs seemed to be a bit of a fix...designed for lingering shots of the attractive Lithuanian couple

Car salesmen usually have a take it or leave it attitude, none of this made for TV long silences.
  • Kris77Kris77 Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I've enjoyed watching this, I've got to say though, I felt sorry for the girl from the first episode who wanted the Mini
  • pward1965pward1965 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    StaxVolt wrote: »
    The characterisations of James (successful,easy-going,competent) are starkly contrasted with Scott (poor body language,aggressive manner and facial expressions,awkward,no rapport,limited communication skills) and he probably should have been declined at the interview stage when he would certainly have displayed his most negative attributes under that pressure to the boss.

I wonder if Scott's application would have been declined at interview if a TV documentary wasn't about to be filmed at the dealership?
  • jak frostjak frost Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    One of the worst shows I have ever watched.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's well worth noting thought that being turned down for credit and not being able to afford something are two completely different things.

You've already said this on the previous page not sure why you want to say it again....??

however that's as may be....the point is if turned down for credit it is likely to mean she has either had difficulty repaying in the past or is overstretched with current finances.....

Mind you my point was her insistence that her dream was shattered over a basic commodity was ridiculous as was her hey look at me attitude....and total dimness over what other parts of the country are actually like... :p
    Forum Member
    You've already said this on the previous page not sure why you want to say it again....??

however that's as may be....the point is if turned down for credit it is likely to mean she has either had difficulty repaying in the past or is overstretched with current finances.....

Mind you my point was her insistence that her dream was shattered over a basic commodity was ridiculous as was her hey look at me attitude....and total dimness over what other parts of the country are actually like... :p

Or it could mean she's never had credit on anything.
  • feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure they went through all the details but it's supposed to be a fun programme, perhaps CH4 thought that a one hour programme about warranty's and maintenance costs may have been boring.[/QUOTE]

A bit like your post's.:D:p
  • ScousingScowlerScousingScowler Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That wasn't the point I was arguing.

Wasn't aware you was having an argument...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or it could mean she's never had credit on anything.

Do you seriously believe she's never had credit on anything.....??
    Have you been to Essex??

Probably got more plastic in her vuitton handbag than in her sister's chest... :p:D
    Forum Member
    Do you seriously believe she's never had credit on anything.....??
    Have you been to Essex??

Probably got more plastic in her vuitton handbag than in her sister's chest... :p:D

Well it's a possibility.

More interesting that the only one of the three who could get credit was the one who already had a car loan.
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite enjoying this but I don't see how the boss thinks Scott has a fab personality as he comes across as quite introverted with poor people and communication skills. He couldn't have looked or acted less enthusiastic if he'd tried when he was on a test drive with the Lithuanian guy, I mean couldn't he have at least tried to form a sentence or two by talking about the car, I'd have walked straight away in that situation instead of giving my business to them.

When I used to regularly buy cars I just wanted to stroll around a lot without some cheeky chappy like James harassing me as soon as I stepped foot on the premises. If I needed assistance I'd seek it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's a possibility.

More interesting that the only one of the three who could get credit was the one who already had a car loan.

Possibility? As much as snow in the desert.......
    Actually more interesting is that she's now liable for that entire amount and the sister driving the car around if she defaults doesn't have any legal title to it and the sister could be the 3rd to end up with at best a dodgy credit rating if this happens or worse.....bailiffs on the doorstep...... :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's a possibility.

Possibility? Yes I'll grant you...about as much as snow in the desert though.......

Actually, more interesting is that she's now liable for that entire amount and the sister driving the car around if she defaults doesn't have any legal title to it and the sister could be the 3rd to end up with at best a dodgy credit rating if this happens or worse.....bailiffs on the doorstep...... :p
  • maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it called The Dealership..They're just a secondhand carlot-. They don't have a new car franchise, so arn't "main dealers"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I once failed a credit check because a credit card I already had gave me quite a large credit limit. Even though I was nowhere near that credit limit it was deemed that I had too much available credit and was so declined. I asked the credit card company to reduce my limit, which they did, and then reapplied and passed the credit check.