Options

Australia to cull 2 million feral cats by 2020....cruel?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wampa1 wrote: »
    There's nothing more laughable and hypocritical than a human saying that.

Well you can't really blame me for what others have done, I mean I didn't personally introduce the cats to Australia!
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In order to protect local wildlife it is sadly necessary, however I would like to see measures put in place to make sure that the problem does not reoccur.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have a vivid imagination. It's not Cecil hunting and Australia already has culls for critters like camels and kangaroos. Before the public is allowed to participate in the cull, they have to get a permit and demonstrate proficiency so kills should be clean. A bit like we do with our deer hunting. But clean kills is part of the problem, and also why some of our animal rights people get a bit misguided.

Yeah, like that's going to stop them once they have a licence.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cats CAN live fulfilled life confined, just as a dog can on the en of a leash, it depends how much effort the owners are prepared to put in, how much enrichment they can provide.

But cat owners, IME, are lazy and think that just letting them roam unsupervised is adequate care, then they protest when people complain or their animals are injured.

It has to happen, it will happen, and it's because of cat owners, not cat haters!
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    Cats CAN live fulfilled life confined, just as a dog can on the en of a leash, it depends how much effort the owners are prepared to put in, how much enrichment they can provide.

But cat owners, IME, are lazy and think that just letting them roam unsupervised is adequate care, then they protest when people complain or their animals are injured.

It has to happen, it will happen, and it's because of cat owners, not cat haters!
    Your a well known cat hater going by the pets forum, so I take your comments with a pinch of salt.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've never understood the argument that cats are natural hunters therefore MUST be allowed to roam free. Dogs are certainly hunters and yet are restrained. Pigs are natural carnivores, and yet penned and fed a varied, mostly vegetarian diet for the most part.

Whether the argument FOR cats being allowed free rein has any merit I've no idea, but it does come across as hyocritical.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    I've never understood the argument that cats are natural hunters therefore MUST be allowed to roam free. Dogs are certainly hunters and yet are restrained. Pigs are natural carnivores, and yet penned and fed a varied, mostly vegetarian diet for the most part.

Whether the argument FOR cats being allowed free rein has any merit I've no idea, but it does come across as hyocritical.
    Not all cats hunt.
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed - and I've had cats all my life. Australia has a unique ecosystem and the introduction of non native species being allowed to breed out of control is a real threat. Sad that irresponsible breeding has led to this. :(
    Are you talking about cats or people here?
  • Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate cats. Nuisances.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Cats predate rabbits, so they should keep the rabbit population down.

Maybe the Australian government should tell the cats they can only hunt for rabbit?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbits_in_Australia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cats_in_Australia
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Not all cats hunt.

But that's the excuse cat owners give, for allowing their pets to roam (and defecate) on other people's property.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But that's the excuse cat owners give, for allowing their pets to roam (and defecate) on other people's property.

My excuse is that they enjoy being outside.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My excuse is that they enjoy being outside.

In this country - fortunately - they don't need an excuse as they are considered "free spirits" in law, and can wander wherever they choose.

Most people don't have a problem with them, and indeed, the vast majority, busy with their everyday lives, would not even notice one in their garden. Nor would they comb their gardens looking for a tiny bit of cat shit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    In this country - fortunately - they don't need an excuse as they are considered "free spirits" in law, and can wander wherever they choose.

Most people don't have a problem with them, and indeed, the vast majority, busy with their everyday lives, would not even notice one in their garden. Nor would they comb their gardens looking for a tiny bit of cat shit.

Well, I can only speak for myself, but the neighbouring cats, (5 at last count) make a beeline for my waist high planters. Some do try to cover their faeces (uprooting bulbs) but some simply empty their bowels with that dispationate look on their faces, like 'what're you gonna do?'

I've lessened their number by one, catching the bugger full face with a super soaker. I plan to see off the rest in the same manner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I can only speak for myself, but the neighbouring cats, (5 at last count) make a beeline for my waist high planters. Some do try to cover their faeces (uprooting bulbs) but some simply empty their bowels with that dispationate look on their faces, like 'what're you gonna do?'

I've lessened their number by one, catching the bugger full face with a super soaker. I plan to see off the rest in the same manner.

Have you tried cat repellent?
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Louise32 wrote: »
    It'd be easier if just brought cats to cat sanctuaries and made concerted effort to get people to give them homes, alongside obviously neutering them.

The world is such a kill all animals place.

The distinguishing feature of feral animals is that they aren't domesticated any longer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

lol - they do look like that, I must admit, especially the Toms :D

Yep, cold water. A prime deterrent and totally harmless. Cats are bright - they catch on quick and have good memories.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Armi wrote: »
    If they are feral cats they should be caught and destroyed.

They are not a native species and are in danger of making native species' exctinct..

Lol, tries not to think about the fact that many people are concerned about human immigration causing the same thing.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad as it is, it's the only way IMO, trapping and neutering on that scale would be hugely costly and probably ineffective.

It's humans' fault for allowing cats to roam and breed, for abandoning.

The native wildlife takes priority IMO, the country will suffer if the correct ecosystem is not restored.

And I think ALL cats should be kept confined or under control 24/7 anyway, then these things would not need to happen!

If's no more natural for a cat to be confined indoors than it is humans..

Wide scale neutering might be expensive but it's our fault that ferral cats have reached these numbers, not theirs..

The destruction of natural habitats by humans is effecting wildlife as much as cats, we're even seeing an increase in plastic grass here in the UK, which blackbirds won't be able to pull worms out of.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    The problem is Australia's so it's not for us to say it's cruel. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be considering it if it wasn't necessary. As long as it's done humanely I don't see a problem.

I agree.