Options

Is suicide selfish?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Heavy topic but is it their right to die?

Their... or yours?

All living creatures will die.

All living creatures have good and bad days.

Don't do it man....
  • Options
    TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their... or yours?

All living creatures will die.

All living creatures have good and bad days.

Don't do it man....

Ovbs it's a case of don't do it man...but also don't blame those who do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    Ovbs it's a case of don't do it man...but also don't blame those who do.

Free will is a wonderful thing.

I will never blame anyone for making their own choice.

But as we all know, suicide is a permanent solution for a temporary problem.

We were born to live. We will all die. That is a fact.

Why not say.... **** it... and try?
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think I would argue that if you are suffering from a mental health issue, then it;s NOT your free will.... it's the will of your ****ed up brain chemistry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's a very naive point of view. For some it may not be a temporary problem. Though I must state I'm not advocating suicide I also know sometimes it's a terminal issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's a very naive point of view. For some it may not be a temporary problem. Though I must state I'm not advocating suicide I also know sometimes it's a terminal issue.

This is a good point.

But this is not the point of which has been made by the OP.

The point of the OP was a generalization. Clearly there are degrees to ending one's life.

But even if one were in pain, it means you are alive.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For some being alive is intolerable :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a good point.

But this is not the point of which has been made by the OP.

The point of the OP was a generalization. Clearly there are degrees to ending one's life.

So if you were continually, perpetually in pain...such as in Harlequins where you've to wake every morning to have open sore bandages changed, and have flys swatted away as your flesh ripped from your body...you've to think "I'm alive at least!" Whilst living in constant agony? I'm pretty sure the catholic /Christian faith tells you if you're bad you'd suffer a kinder fate in hell. If one such person so chose to end their life I'd sure as shit be in NO position to stop them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    For some being alive is intolerable :(

Muze man try not to be :( seriously. It could be worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself". - D. H. Lawrence

Pain is a part of life. Embrace it.

We will all die eventually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself". - D. H. Lawrence

Pain is a part of life. Embrace it.

We will all die eventually.

It's easy to say that from the position of an outsider
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's easy to say that from the position of an outsider

An outsider?

And what do you know about me?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An outsider?

And what do you know about me?

Nowt but I'm sure you're not suffering every single known painful condition known to man. Until you've experienced all who are you, or I to question a persons will to die?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes it can be selfish but people who do it often don't consider the consequences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If one such person so chose to end their life I'd sure as shit be in NO position to stop them.

Did I say I wanted to "stop" someone from killing themself?

Me personally, I still wouldn't end my life at my own hand under such circumstance.
    Nowt but I'm sure you're not suffering every single known painful condition known to man. Until you've experienced all who are you, or I to question a persons will to die?

I have not questioned anything with regard to suicide. If someone wants to end their life, it is their free will. It seems to me you are arguing here for your right to die?

Hey, get to it.. if that's what you want to do.

All I am doing is showing the fact that we are all going to die.. but there is a reason to not cut it short.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    People who are in distress (mentally unwell, depressed) are often seeking a way to end their pain, they don't want to be a burden anymore. They might feel their family is better off without them. That's not selfish. The sad thing is though, the family is left to pick up the pieces and try to make sense of it. After 6 months my son's suicide still makes no sense. Probably never will. I do not think he was selfish though, just in a lot of emotional pain and unable to reach out for help.

I read the first three lines thinking yes this is absolutely the answer to this question. Then I read further. I am so sorry you are able to answer from direct experience. You are quite right in that they often do think everyone would be better off without them. And as you know those left behind will forever feel "if only". and regret what they feel they could have, should have, would have done. My heart goes out to you. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did I say I wanted to "stop" someone from killing themself?

Me personally, I still wouldn't end my life at my own hand under such circumstance.

I have not questioned anything with regard to suicide. If someone wants to end their life, it is their free will. It seems to me you are arguing here for your right to die?

Hey, get to it.. if that's what you want to do.

All I am doing is showing the fact that we are all going to die.. but there is a reason to not cut it short.

And that's YOUR choice. Though judging others in there's with out knowing the fully history isn't the way forth. To say ones still alive isn't going to help those who've lived XYZ years in constant constant pain. With no other choice they're left waiting for death to ease it. Why shouldn't they have the right to say enough. Now. ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why shouldn't they have the right to say enough. Now. ?

Where did I claim that they didn't have a right to commit suicide?

I'll give you a hint, I never said any such thing. So please, stop with the strawmans.
  • Options
    All Of MeAll Of Me Posts: 2,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Because your loved ones will have to pick up the pieces.
  • Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    No because i believe you shouldn't be made to live against your own will.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Having been on both sides of the fence with this matter, it really isn't selfish or anyone's fault.

What people go through is so difficult to explain or comprehend. As a family or friend it is agonising as you search for answers and ways you could have helped. Knowing in the end there was little that could be done.

As the person......if you have that neverending sinking feeling as though each day is the worst day of your life....always expecting the worst news. Your life is in the slums, you can't get up each day. Everyday look in the mirror and see yourself as being undeserving of life, the drain it becomes and the tiredness of everything. It doesn't matter who you reach out to, it is never enough, what you feel is so crippling it actually burns or kills you from inside. Those who take their own life do it to escape the pain and torment mental illness brings with it. Having considered this a few times in my life, we don't do it out of spite or attention, just that everything is so hard and painful it feels as though we don't belong in this world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zelda fan wrote: »
    No because i believe you shouldn't be made to live against your own will.

And there it is.

Free Will.

You want to commit suicide? (not you Zelda)

Go for it....

Less mouths to feed, and guaranteed you will miss out on something had you stayed around. No matter your pain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did I claim that they didn't have a right to commit suicide?

I'll give you a hint, I never said any such thing. So please, stop with the strawmans.

There ain't no stawmans and I ****ing hate that saying. It's used by those who also love to band sayings out like "left wing losers" or "right wing Nazis" with out looking back the what they've actually said.

You've continually posted "theres always a way man" which as nice as it sounds...for some there isn't. That's all I'm saying. Putting balance to your "at least you're alive post". Cause for some thats the last thing they wish. Not cause they're depressed, well they are but not like those who are depressed for no reason. (Not trying to down play depression but there are many distinct types and I'm talking about those who've a painful medical condition that if rid of they'd not be depressed) .

So I'm a strawman. You're a bad bumper sticker from the early 90's. Sounds good in theory but when you think about it...it's highly flawed.
  • Options
    Hershal_GreeneHershal_Greene Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly, I was gonna reply but I wouldn't give her the satisfaction. Not that I'm saying it's wrong for her to say it's selfish but I like you have noticed the attention seeking.

I thought it was just me. The name is distinctive so I always remember the general feel of his or her posts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There ain't no stawmans and I ****ing hate that saying. It's used by those who also love to band sayings out like "left wing losers" or "right wing Nazis" with out looking back the what they've actually said.

You've continually posted "there always a way man" which as nice as it sounds for some there isn't. That's all I'm saying. Putting balance to your "at least you're alive post". Cause for some thats the last thing they wish. Not cause they're depressed, well they are but not like those who are depressed for no reason. (Not trying to down play depression but there are many distinct types and I'm talking about those who've a painful medical condition that if rid of they'd not be depressed) .

So I'm a strawman. You're a bad bumper sticker from the early 90's. Sounds good in theory but when you think about it...it's highly flawed.

Let us know when you will quote me in claiming that people do not have the "right" to commit suicide. Until then, you have shown nothing but a strawman argument.

I also never claimed that YOU were a strawman (which is another strawman argument you have made).

How old are you? I'm thinking 15.

You want to commit suicide? Are you looking for approval?