Community (Season 2) US Pace

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
Forum Member
Just started watching this - can't believe I never watched before - and have watched the entire first season in a matter of days. Absolutely love this show. I rarely venture into sitcoms, usually preferring stuff like Arrested Development, but I gave this a try and absolutely love it - it's up there with Modern Family. So many quotable lines too! And the cast and characters are great!

Anyway, dug out a Community thread but it was combining UK and US Pace and someone suggested a US Pace thread that never happened, so here it is!

Hopefully others will join in and we can comment the episodes - there's always so many moments we can talk about - and so many ROFL one liners!!!

Am just starting season 2 now so I should be up to date later tonight!

Comments

• Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    Some good stuff in Season 2, and last night's Halloween episode is supposedly a cracker. If it's half as good as the Modern Warfare episode (which it's being likened to) then I'll be very happy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Just caught up!

Ghost World the Halloween episode - this week's was hilarious! Brilliant. I also list Modern Warfare as one of my favourite episodes but I think this one tops it!!! Speaking of favourite episodes, the whole Chicken Finger episode is another of the great ones IMO!

This show is hilarious. Love the cast and I like every single character in this! Every character is very well developed and defined! However my favourite has to be Abed - as a TV Addict I can really relate to his "Life as a TV show thing" asI have done this for years with friends...:o Okay, maybe said too much :o:D

Its crazy how the show can get away with doing these "surreal" episodes (Halloween, Modern Warfare, Chicken Fingers) and also bring something important to the series development!!!! Definitely did not see thw whole Shirley - Chang thing coming!!! Wonder where they will take this!!

think Ill have withdrawl symptoms till next week's episode after cramming every episode to date in a couple of days :D
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    spaintv wrote: »
    Just caught up!

What did you think of the whole Annie/chloroform thing in the second episode of this season? Boy, did that get a big laugh out of me.:D
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    What did you think of the whole Annie/chloroform thing in the second episode of this season? Boy, did that get a big laugh out of me.:D

HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!

Think I haven't LOVED a comedy this much since Arrested Development! :D

There's so many Funny Moments in each episode that I think it lends itself to be rewatched a number of times over!
    Forum Member
    I binged on Community and Parks and Recreation recently, and I'm completely in love with both shows now. If you haven't seen Parks and Rec you should give that a shot too.

The thing about these shows (and 30 Rock and The Office, the other NBC comedies) is that you really benefit from watching episodes back-to-back. You get to a point at which you just enjoy seeing the characters interacting with each other.
    Forum Member
    Parks and Rec is actually the next sitcom I intend to watch. Had a lot of people recommending it. And 30Rock is one Ive had my eye on for a while now but never got round to watching. Ill probs give it a try after Parks which is a shorter run.

Thanks for the recomendations!
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is park and rec coming to the uk?
    Forum Member
    I binged on Community and Parks and Recreation recently, and I'm completely in love with both shows now. If you haven't seen Parks and Rec you should give that a shot too.

The thing about these shows (and 30 Rock and The Office, the other NBC comedies) is that you really benefit from watching episodes back-to-back. You get to a point at which you just enjoy seeing the characters interacting with each other.

Do you watch Modern Family, Ghost World? If you don't, I definitely recommend that.
    Forum Member
    Modern Family's great too. That similar too, in that it has a lot of heart to it, along with a brilliant cast and very smart writing.

And FYI MoreTears, The Newsroom season 3 and Escape From The Newsroom are on my Xmas list.
    Forum Member
    And FYI MoreTears, The Newsroom season 3 and Escape From The Newsroom are on my Xmas list.

I don't know if you will be interested in this, but Ken Finkleman published a novel a couple of months ago. It is called Noah's Turn, and it is about a TV writer who commits a murder. I loved it. It can be ordered from Amazon.ca -- you know, if you're interested.:)
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    NBC order 2 extra episodes of Community, upping the season from 22 to 24 episodes.:D

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/community-gets-two-extra-episodes
    Forum Member
    Another good episode this week.

This week Abed became one fo the girls and released his inner bitch. The Bitch assessment visuals as he scanned targets was brilliant. Hillary Duff guested as Queen Bitch in this episode.

And then the guys go off and find a Secret garden with a trampoline in what turns out to be a really absurd yet really funny story that only Community can pull off ending with the Trampoline keeper being racist lol

Chang was an observer this week, reacting to Abed's bitchy comments and giving us a good milk snort too ROFL

Funny lines in this episode:

Britta: Why name your daughter Megan? Are you stocking up for a bitch shortage?

Abed: It's Wednesday. Sometimes I eat in Jeff's car. Don't tell him.

Megan [to Abed]: It's like your mom is a lizard who got raped by a Muppet

Anybody else watched?
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    I've been meaning to post this but kept forgetting.

This is how subtle this show is, the episode earlier this season, about Jeff worrying about his cholesterol, had Abed in the background throughout the show helping a pregnant girl, and finally delivering the baby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tP0ubODOUQ
    Forum Member
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    I've been meaning to post this but kept forgetting.

This is how subtle this show is, the episode earlier this season, about Jeff worrying about his cholesterol, had Abed in the background throughout the show helping a pregnant girl, and finally delivering the baby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tP0ubODOUQ

f***! I wondered about that "Ive barely seen you this week Abed, what have you been up to" and thought it was hinting at something to come the following week. I can't believe I hadn't noticed teh background and all that he got up too!!!! :o :eek: :D Ill have to watch episodes a couple of times now to make sure nothing escapes me! Thanks for the link!
    Forum Member
    I noticed the woman giving birth at the end and didn't really understand why. Then I read a review which mentioned the "secret" storyline, and rewatched the episode. Brilliant stuff.
    Forum Member
    Loved the latest episode of Community. Its one of those episodes they refer to as a "Bottle episode" (Abed as always making sure we understand the TV world jargon). "Bottle episodes" are episodes which are shot on a fraction of the budget and typically involve as little cast as possible and usually confine the action to a limited space or "regular sets". All in all they are basic episodes which involve as little personnel as possible and no new sets, effects, or anything that would increase cost. They usually allow more money to be invested in bigger episodes during the season (usually at the start, mid point and end of season).

The great thing is that Community has managed to successfully pull off a "Bottle episode" during the all important November Sweeps Period in the US when most other shows will be airing their "bigger budget" episodes or in the event of troubled shows, not air an episode during the Sweeps period.

Bottle episodes can go both ways - be highly boring due to increased verbal exchanges between characters, confined space and little action; or be highly successful in adding to character development and overall story development. I think Community managed to pull off a successful episode.

They get a real unimportant mundane incident, the disappearance of annie's pen and turn it into the action the episode revoolves around! I don't think there are many shows that can do that!!! The episode also benefited from the fact the series has an excellent cast and fleshed out characters making their forced increased interactions a real treat to watch! The biggest danger for Bottle episodes is the Writing due to increased speech and the need to make it interesting in the lack of real action, and Community is brilliand at this and again passed with flying colours with this particular episode.

The episode was filled with popculture references, classic one liners that I wish I had come up withp; I particularly liked the following exchange, sounds silly but it had me in stitches as it so reflects the character;

Shirley: Jeff, you don't have a bag?
    Jeff: Oh I could never deprive the World of the portion of my chest the strap would cover"

"Did you take Annie's pen to make life more like Benny Hill?"

"Are they seriously marketing pregnancy tests to black women?"

And so many more.

The episode also contributed toward the overall story in the series. Shirley's Halloween fling might have had some repurcussions!!!! We also got to know a bit more about Abed and how he keeps a notebook containing little details about everyone - I really hope we get to hear more about the hilarious notebook!!!!

All in all another fantastic episode. I can't believe I didn't start watching this till just a couple of weeks ago when I crammed the whole firstseason in a day or two! Possibly one of the best US sitcoms of recent times. As much as I love Modern family I think Community has just overtaken it slightly in my own TV chart! Roll on next week!
    Forum Member
    Drat they did it again and I failed to notice!!!!!!

READ AFTER YOU VIEW THE EPISODE!
    At the start of the episode you can actually SEE the pen
    being stolen! Watch in very slow motion! Just as the show starts 00.40 - 00.43 you can see the pen being lifted!!!!!
    Forum Member
    Halfway through I rewound to the beginning to see if I could spot the pen disappearing (I thought maybe the Dean had picked it up when he came in, but he just stood by the door) but I didn't notice anything.
    Just watched it again, and I did spot it.
    Forum Member
    Halfway through I rewound to the beginning to see if I could spot the pen disappearing (I thought maybe the Dean had picked it up when he came in, but he just stood by the door) but I didn't notice anything.
    Just watched it again, and I did spot it.

Just love i when shows do this. Last time I also failed to notice Abed's story in the background where he spent the entire episode helping a pregnant woman :D I promised myself I woudl watch closer from then on, but again I fail to notice these little details.
    Forum Member
    Well I also failed to realise that...
    The monkey is Annie's Boobs, from Contemporary American Poultry (the Goodfellas parody episode) in season 1

...but I suspect that might just be me.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    The monkey is Annie's Boobs, from Contemporary American Poultry

Gotta love a show where a sentence like that makes perfect sense.

btw, no need to spoiler anymore, this thread is US pace, and the show aired yesterday.
    Forum Member
    Another great episode this week!

Conspiracy Theories and Interior Design finally dealt with the Jeff - Annie post kiss tension from the season one finale. It also had a brilliant storyline about a blanket fort city that only Community can do, involving Abed and Troy.

The Jeff - Annie story mocked the conspiracy genre with a twist within a twist within a twist within a twist within...until you lose track lol And the cartoonish blanket - fort city story had a briiliant chase scene with hilarious references. Loved the ending to it, pulling the sock cos they had gone mainstream lol

Missed Shirley, Pierce and Britta this week, but guess they were giving us a break from the character intensive episode last week involving the whole gang. Also it served to further develop the Jeff-Annie story and the whole Abed - Troy frendship.

Looking fwd to next week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    I absolutely loved this weeks episode! It was so much fun. Joel and Alison have such great chemistry that it was a treat to watch them interact for most of the episode. Troy, Abed and their fort was hilarious. Those two are comedic gold.

I actually didn't miss Britta (I haven't really warmed to her and she's been annoying me this season) Shirley or Pierce. Honestly, I don't think they really would have fit in the episode. At least we saw glimpses of them. Judging from the spoiler pics for the next episode, the whole gang is together again. :)
    Forum Member
    I'll spoiler tag details, but the planned Christmas episode sounds like a real treat!
    its all about a dream Abed has and it features the cast as claymotion characters in a Christmas story :cool::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    spaintv wrote: »
    I'll spoiler tag details, but the planned Christmas episode sounds like a real treat!
    its all about a dream Abed has and it features the cast as claymotion characters in a Christmas story :cool::D
    Have you seen the picture of them as claymation characters? Too cute (and a little disturbing) lol.