Best ISP for Non LLU Exchange?

Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Been with BT for 4 years, for the best part it has been great but had 4 outages in as many weeks and that coupled with it being crippled at night means I am looking for a new ISP.

Any recommendations for the best place to go for a non- LLU exchange? Are all the non-LLU's as bad as each other?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been with BT for 4 years, for the best part it has been great but had 4 outages in as many weeks and that coupled with it being crippled at night means I am looking for a new ISP.

Any recommendations for the best place to go for a non- LLU exchange? Are all the non-LLU's as bad as each other?
    I would highly recomend Plusnet I have had fantastic service from Plusnet for almost two years now and their customer support is the best I have experienced from any company and I dont just mean ISP or telephone suppliers either!
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, was acually looking at them last night after hearing the radio ads, seems ok for the price etc. Also, having a UK based call centre is always a big plus for me.

They are owned by BT though, might it not be a case of same product in a different dress?;)
  • dgdavedgdave Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I live out in the back of beyond in Dumfriesshire. No LLU on our exchange, only BT wholesale. I have been with supanet for the last 4 years and never had any problems. I normally get 4-5 Meg down though is does go down a bit after 5pm.to 2Meg
    Only a small exchange less 500 lines
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    No, some of them are MUCH worse.

BTW, I suspect that you would have had your outages no matter who you were with.

BTW2 if by "being crippled at night" you mean that BT manage non-time critical P2P so that I can browse with less interference from big down-loaders, then they get my vote.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, was acually looking at them last night after hearing the radio ads, seems ok for the price etc. Also, having a UK based call centre is always a big plus for me.

They are owned by BT though, might it not be a case of same product in a different dress?;)
    They may be owned by BT but they are run as a separate company!

I have lost count of the amount of times that Plusnet have increased their central capacity, How many other ISP's increase the number of central pipes in line with customer growth?:D
  • frailfuryfrailfury Posts: 7,222
    Forum Member
    I need to change too....just looked at Plusnet (nice link btw graham for bonus ha) however they want a £25 activation fee which seems a bit tight.

What router do they supply?
  • ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm with ADSL24, fantastic UK based customer service, landline (01***) support line, good speeds and value.

I've only had one outage in three years and they soon sorted that, and even phoned back the next day to check everything was still OK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    frailfury wrote: »
    I need to change too....just looked at Plusnet (nice link btw graham for bonus ha) however they want a £25 activation fee which seems a bit tight.

What router do they supply?

Thomson TG585v7 usually although this may have changed.

alternatively you can use an existing router providing it's not locked by you current ISP and take the no contract option!

That way if you're not satisfied with the service you can leave after just 30 days.
    Forum Member
    Thomson TG585v7 usually although this may have changed.

alternatively you can use an existing router providing it's not locked by you current ISP and take the no contract option!

That way if you're not satisfied with the service you can leave after just 30 days.

They charge £25 though to set it all up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They charge £25 though to set it all up.
    I would rather pay £25 for setup and have the peace of mind that I can get out quick if my connection should go the way of the DODO!:D

The setup is free if you chose the 12 month contract option too!
    Forum Member
    I would rather pay £25 for setup and have the peace of mind that I can get out quick if my connection should go the way of the DODO!:D

ADSL24 offer a 1 month contract and free activation for £19 a mth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ADSL24 offer a 1 month contract and free activation for £19 a mth.
    Well I cant afford £19 per month an I find that my usage is well within the 10GB per month on value!

I use the Internet most days and even use BBC iPlayer a few times per month too!
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin Media National is worth considering. It's ADSL over BT lines to non cable TV areas, LLU or non-LLU. Bundling with phone calls is the cheapest option. With non-LLU you still pay BT for line rental. I've been with them since the Virgin Net dial-up days and generally they're first class. Like everyone there's a very occasional problem but such is life.

HTH.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Virgin Media National is worth considering. It's ADSL over BT lines to non cable TV areas, LLU or non-LLU. Bundling with phone calls is the cheapest option. With non-LLU you still pay BT for line rental. I've been with them since the Virgin Net dial-up days and generally they're first class. Like everyone there's a very occasional problem but such is life.

HTH.
    I was with Virgin Media National for two years and although they where better than Tiscali by a long shot, I would not recommend them!

Virgin Media National speeds where dire at peak times while I was with them and I am not a heavy downloader!:(