HD - anyone think it is vastly overrated?

CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Really am sick to death of SKy and others banging on about it every ad break :yawn:

It's OKAY, i'd have it rather than not but it's not like they've invented colour telly, satellite tv or Skyplus - i'll get it when i can be bothered and whilst i don't have it it makes not one jot of difference to my life or viewing pleasure.

Comments

• stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    It is just not the jump in quality that was there for example when people switched from analogue Sky to Sky Digital, or VHS to DVD. There is a difference, just not that much. Plus you do need a big TV to really appreciate it.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I think it is, I don't know if it really improves the viewing experience apart from the picture. It's probably good if you're into sports, movies or other "event" TV but for everyday viewing I don't think it's really necessary.
  • chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus you do need a big TV to really appreciate it.
    isn't it really the inverse of that.
    Big TVs came along which meant that the normal pictures weren't good enough when blown up to a size to suit the bigger screens,
    So HD came along to get us back to where we were before - but with bigger screens.
    thats my take on it
  • samandmaisamandmai Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily, the main driver for Sky to get people to sign up to HD is the football, but it's probably the sport that's least improved by being shown in HD, IMO. Much better are the history and nature channels - but the best of all was Luxe TV !
  • CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samandmai wrote: »
    Funnily, the main driver for Sky to get people to sign up to HD is the football, but it's probably the sport that's least improved by being shown in HD, IMO. Much better are the history and nature channels - but the best of all was Luxe TV !

Tha's what i always figured....good for nature but hardly the end of the world for sport if you ain't got it. My mate was flicking between regular and HD and showing me difference - i was struggling to seem impressed!
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont have HD and am not bothered about getting it either. I can still enjoy the same show as others who have HD and feel that they have to comment on how good it is in HD:D

I guess what I've never had I'm currently not missing at the moment
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stripedcat wrote: »
    It is just not the jump in quality that was there for example when people switched from analogue Sky to Sky Digital, or VHS to DVD. There is a difference, just not that much. Plus you do need a big TV to really appreciate it.

I don't have Sky but Digital tv is actually poorer than analogue channels .
  • QuizmikeQuizmike Posts: 5,972
    Forum Member
    I'm lucky enought not to be able to tell the difference. Saves a lot of money
  • BeachhhhhhhBeachhhhhhh Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Think about it.
    Its very clever.
    It's called marketing.
    They have to keep bringing in new things to try to keep people interested in buying new TV's, or shelling out bigger subscriptions etc.
    Things get hyped up and many people fall for it.
    The truth about H.D is that it is good; but not the earth- shattering experience they would have us believe.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have to disagree there I'm afraid. You can see a helluva difference on my TV between HD footy and non-HD footy. The HD is so much more clearer and sharp.
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Football is greatly improved by HD
  • CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    Have to disagree there I'm afraid. You can see a helluva difference on my TV between HD footy and non-HD footy. The HD is so much more clearer and sharp.

surprising stuff ;)
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A service designed for those easily persuaded to buy any old tat.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    HD, blu-ray etc… With each new advancement, it becomes more and more difficult to notice any improvement.

That’s the trouble for big businesses. They know they have to flog us something new, even if our current TV’s, computers, DVD players etc… are perfectly good, so they hype the differences like crazy hoping we fall for it.

When HD has died and something else comes along that is even less noticeable, they will hype that and we will fall for it again, because it seems so shiny and new and we don’t want to be the loser that is behind the times (ad companies will make sure we feel like this if we don't have it)

It's also the reason why your phone will have a load of crap on it you don't need, or maybe even want, but why you still change it every 6 months when a new one comes along :p
  • Swift_89Swift_89 Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »

I agree it makes the most difference on sport for me, the difference is incredible when you switch between the channels. The poster who didn't notice much difference on their mate's TV, I expect they are one of the many people who have their HD Box connect via a scart cable and not HDMI
  • wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HD is good because everything is clearer and more detailed. Simple as that.
    It's not life changing, it may make already good content visually more enjoyable, but certainly wont make crap not crap.

It is going to become standard though, so I wouldn't worry that much about people trying to sell it to you. Just ignore it and eventually you will come to replace your tv/box/dvd player and you wont be able to get anything else. And lo everything will become a bit clearer :)

As for 3D... :)
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankly, with a high resolution 32" LCD TV the difference in my opinion is marginal. We get HD as part of the package with Virgin, but aren't that bothered with it.

In any event, what's the point of being able to see some of the rubbish served up on all channels "better?"
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THEY WANT TO SELL YOU STUFF. THEY WANT (more of) YOUR MONEY.

Can't think of anything I particularly want to see in HD. Nice, but not essential. Wd much prefer a good SCRIPT, but that's now quite a rare thing ........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fascinating thing is the number of 20 year old movies that now seem to be in HD. I wonder how many people think they actually are in HD. Or really, as long as it is noticeably better quality who really cares.

I must admit when I watch the footy on my brothers HD tv it is significantly sharper. Although I find the real difference is in the studio. The pundits seem to have texture, Shame the HD doesn't make them say anything more interesting.
  • youngswedeyoungswede Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice there is a big difference but i can live without. HD is a treat as the people i babysit for have it, so i enjoy it then.

No point in me splashing out for it now, i only have 6 months left here.
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I have Virgin Media HD and I struggle to see any difference really. Though my husband reckons the football looks fantastic in HD, but to me no difference (Football is still a snoozefest in SD or HD:yawn:)
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Really like HD. The difference on my setup is pretty obvious. I've even had friends point out about the difference in picture detail.

3D on the other hand is a pointless gimmick.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    youngswede wrote: »
    I notice there is a big difference but i can live without. HD is a treat as the people i babysit for have it, so i enjoy it then.

No point in me splashing out for it now, i only have 6 months left here.

From one cold country full of muslim terrorists to another.
  • Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My eyesight isn't the best in the world and the only difference I can see is that programmes on the HD channels seem to have the brightness turned up a bit compared to the normal channels. I don't like the sound on the HD channels, though (especially BBC HD). The voices sound really quiet and the music sounds really loud. I leave the HD to the husband now and just watch normal myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    The fascinating thing is the number of 20 year old movies that now seem to be in HD. I wonder how many people think they actually are in HD. .

But they are actually in HD.

35mm film has a higher resolution than HD TV. So as long as the transfer is done properly, very old films can still be in true HD.